Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

No doubt put together by those of a like mind to you...………..their passion is looking for racism in everything they see.

And there is a difference between something that is racist and something that caricatures the subject!

More to the point there is a difference between insensitive Australians males and men from most other parts of the civilized world.  It was put together by people interested in American history.  You never had a period like that in Australian history and Jim Crow did not exist in Australia so you know nothing about him as Australians tend to be quite provincial. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Blah, blah, blah. You are just repeating the same old mantra. The cartoon is pretty much identical to the actual photo of Serena "spitting the dummy", in fact very little is exaggerated. You are beating a dead horse and you know it.

Australians often find it unclear why such things as Knight's cartoon are considered racist. Less than a decade ago, we couldn't understand why singer Harry Connick, Jr. was offended by a blackface performance during a TV show.

These things are intended as gentle humor, in good spirit, and expected to be taken that way.

The Herald-Sun is full of such casual racism, along with a lot of other idiocies. I read it almost every day, starting with the always entertaining letters to the editor, where the ignorant and misinformed produce tyrannical and byzantine solutions to the world's problems. 

CNN Australia is the nicest racist country you will ever see.

You don't get it.  The rest of the world sees you for what you are but you go along blissfully ignorant of how others see you and when presented with another news story like the one above you will find another reason not to acknowledge it as being true. 

No skin off my nose but you are only kidding yourself.

2 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

I think Aussies know very well how the rest of the world feels about their racist attitude.  The ones that don't jump on the bandwagon pointing out something is racist, sexist, religist, couldn't give a toss what others think.  They can accept racist slurs, being called "honkeys", etc, without getting their nose out of joint.  On the other hand you have those who must point out everything that could possibly be construed as (see above) because they feel it's popular and makes them feel superior in their knowledge I suppose.

I find it strange how so many people, women in particular, are up in arms over comments made regarding Muslims.  Are they really in favour of keeping women suppressed, e.g. must cover up completely in public, must be accompanied by a male family member in public, not permitted to drive cars, not allowed education, the list goes on. Can be stoned to death for adultery even if raped.

Personally I'd rather side with the people that are against a religion that promotes this treatment of women. I think a lot of the good Muslims would protest against some of their more radical members words and actions and the rules if they didn't fear the consequences of doing so.

Who calls Australians honkeys? 

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Or Brits, or just about any other nationality.

You don't have a clue what racism means, you've probably never been subjected to it. I have and I'm telling you that the cartoon isn't racist and that's a fact!

What the rest of the world thinks.

'Repugnant, racist': News Corp cartoon on Serena Williams condemned

Australia is by most measures one of the world's most successful multicultural societies, but a controversial cartoon of Serena Williams has rekindled accusations it is also inveterately racist.

"There is an element in Australian society that is racist," said John Blaxland, a professor of International Security at the Australian National University

The Serena cartoon debate: calling out racism is not ‘censorship

What we don’t get is why that should necessitate drawing Williams with lips the size of a baboon, a nose the width of the Mississippi and the tongue of a camel. Satire involves humorous exaggeration, irony and ridicule. It is not a cover for any and every careless, racist stereotype an illustrator cares to indulge in.

Knight and his editors have yet to grasp the distinction between satire and cliche. When you uncritically, and ostensibly unwittingly, recycle a centuries-old image that both demeans and degrades, you do not practise satire – you peddle cliche

I am truly perplexed to learn this editor of the Australian newspaper behind the blatantly racist & misogynistic cartoon of my wife

There's little doubt that Knight grossly exaggerated the nose and lips of Williams for the same reason he exaggerates the physical characteristics of most of his cartoons' subjects: They are caricatures, and, as such, he targets differences and explodes them. But he must have been aware of, and deliberately ignored, the historical echoes of his cartoon -- the exaggerated lips and nose reminiscent of racist depictions of black people in the United States during Jim Crow.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What the rest of the world thinks.

'Repugnant, racist': News Corp cartoon on Serena Williams condemned

Australia is by most measures one of the world's most successful multicultural societies, but a controversial cartoon of Serena Williams has rekindled accusations it is also inveterately racist.

"There is an element in Australian society that is racist," said John Blaxland, a professor of International Security at the Australian National University

The Serena cartoon debate: calling out racism is not ‘censorship

What we don’t get is why that should necessitate drawing Williams with lips the size of a baboon, a nose the width of the Mississippi and the tongue of a camel. Satire involves humorous exaggeration, irony and ridicule. It is not a cover for any and every careless, racist stereotype an illustrator cares to indulge in.

Knight and his editors have yet to grasp the distinction between satire and cliche. When you uncritically, and ostensibly unwittingly, recycle a centuries-old image that both demeans and degrades, you do not practise satire – you peddle cliche

I am truly perplexed to learn this editor of the Australian newspaper behind the blatantly racist & misogynistic cartoon of my wife

There's little doubt that Knight grossly exaggerated the nose and lips of Williams for the same reason he exaggerates the physical characteristics of most of his cartoons' subjects: They are caricatures, and, as such, he targets differences and explodes them. But he must have been aware of, and deliberately ignored, the historical echoes of his cartoon -- the exaggerated lips and nose reminiscent of racist depictions of black people in the United States during Jim Crow.

You've just quoted an Australian. I thought that Australians weren't aware that they are racist.

Also a professor of international security, does that make him an expert on racism?

Nothing from the rest of the world. How about a Chinaman, Indian or Russian?

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

You've just quoted an Australian. I thought that Australians weren't aware that they are racist.

Also a professor of international security, does that make him an expert on racism?

Nothing from the rest of the world. How about a Chinaman, Indian or Russian?

I have quoted a number of people from around the world in this thread and they are available to anyone with google as you very well know.  Not everyone is Australia is a racist bigot.  Most are gentlemen who are acquainted with the rest of the world. 

You can't even ask a question without being vile "Chinaman."  Of course it's OK in Australia eh? I guess you are as naive as you pretend so take a look at the video below. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

You can't even ask a question without being vile "Chinaman." 

Only used pejoratively in the US (of course). To Brits and Australians it also means a left arm off spin. Commonly heard in cricket commentary in all countries that play cricket.

So yes it's OK in Australia, Britain and many other countries.

Nice try though.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Now we have racist cartoons and racist photos and you don't have a clue do you?  That is what has been my contention. 

What is racist about the photo? How can a photo be racist? Are you denying that it was Serena?

The cartoonist took a copy of the photo and drew what he saw.

• Like 2

No wonder the leader of the world Trump says non white people are not human!?

Whites across history since they transferred from europe to north America, they sent all native Americans to God.  They transferred blacks from Africa to Britain and America, they transferred Jews to middle east.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

She has won so often in her career that she is used to it, and when she loses she behaves in a way that should embarass a three year old. 

Somebody then drew a cartoon of her misbehaving. A funny one at that. 

Some people then remarked the cartoon was racist, when in reality it was simply an accurate and humorous depiction of what actually happened. 

That is it, nothing more to see here. 

From best selling British authors to sports pros to news organizations all over the world have been quoted in this thread is depicting the cartoon as racist just as the world was starting to forget about Australia's racist indiscretions in the recent past and the cartoon's newspaper's doubling down reaction only served to inflame the issue.  Sorry you don't know how to google.  What you do is open a new window and type in the search box Australia racist cartoon news.  Hope that helps.   

8 hours ago, Spidey said:

Only used pejoratively in the US (of course). To Brits and Australians it also means a left arm off spin. Commonly heard in cricket commentary in all countries that play cricket.

So yes it's OK in Australia, Britain and many other countries.

Nice try though.

That is the point I have been trying to make.  You just don't get how the rest of the world feels about odd spin on racism. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

What is racist about the photo? How can a photo be racist? Are you denying that it was Serena?

The cartoonist took a copy of the photo and drew what he saw.

The cartoonist also said he had no idea of Jim Crow cartoons and denied they existed.  He is as clueless as the rest of you about what is and is not racist.  Because you all keep saying it's OK in Australia is meaningless.  I know it would never occur to you but if you google "example of racist photo" you will get the answer to your question. 

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do you want to explain how the photo is racist? Is it somehow doctored to make her look like she's throwing a hissy fit or to make her hair frizzy and her face distorted, or is it a true depiction of what she really looked like? Try and answer honestly for once instead of introducing Jim Crow into your argument again, though I accept that's a big ask.

Google "sports, culture and racism."  Or "how can a photo be racist?"  or "racism in sports in Australia"  I accept that it is a big ask. 

36 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

From best selling British authors to sports pros to news organizations all over the world have been quoted in this thread is depicting the cartoon as racist just as the world was starting to forget about Australia's racist indiscretions in the recent past and the cartoon's newspaper's doubling down reaction only served to inflame the issue.  Sorry you don't know how to google.  What you do is open a new window and type in the search box Australia racist cartoon news.  Hope that helps.   

There are people all over the world saying it is not racist too, but they don't tend to make the headlines as much because that position doesn't sell as many advertisment spaces. 

This is not even an issue, hardly worth the time even to respond, it is a cartoon.

I think it would do serena williams good to look at this every time before she has a match so she does not act the same, ridiculous way she did. 

I will tell you what, articulate in writing exactly what is racist about it and I will break it down. What EXACT parts of the depiction are racist?

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Google "sports, culture and racism."  Or "how can a photo be racist?"  or "racism in sports in Australia"  I accept that it is a big ask. 

I knew it was impossible to get a straight answer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Who calls Australians honkeys? 

If you know how to Google you will find that black African Americans use this term to refer to white people in general, not specifically Australians. How outrageous!! 555

It's supposedly a derogatory term for Caucasians.  Who cares? 

While on the subject of racism why are blacks in the USA called African Americans? If they were born in the country aren't they just Americans? So isn't African American racist? In Australia we call our black people Australians.

Most thinking Aussies couldn't give a rat's what JKR thinks or any other high profile entertainer who thinks their opinion is superior for that matter. We are all entitled to our own opinion and beliefs and it's not up to you or them to be trying to convert others to your/their way of thinking. You can have your opinions just don't expect others to change theirs.

By the way, should your user name be spelt marcusarelius after the Roman emperor?

Edited by AboutThaim
Correct predictive text.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1