Dishonest hotel maid tells Pattaya police she thought $200 was her tip

webfact

Dishonest hotel maid tells Pattaya police she thought $200 was her tip

4PM.jpg

Picture: Manager online

A dishonest Pattaya hotel maid gave the excuse that she thought the money a Russian tourist left out in his Jomtien beach hotel room was a tip intended for her.

Siriwimon Sriwilaisuk, 18, was soon apprehended by Pattaya's tourist police chief Lt-Col Piyapong Ensarn after the theft on Monday.

Mr Nikolay Lavanov, 37, was on hand to do the pointing at the suspect in case there was any doubt.

Siriwimon, from Udon Thani, was taken to the exchange booth where she got about 6,500 baht for what she claimed she thought was a tip.

She bought a small gold ring with some of the proceeds.

Manager said the young maid had turned to crime.

The hotel was not named.

Source: Manager online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-12
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Siriwimon, from Udon Thani, was taken to the exchange booth where she got about 6,500 baht for what she claimed she thought was a tip.

The report comments that she "...was taken to the exchange booth" but fails to mention who took her.  It would be interesting to know who did.

'nuf sed

42 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If it was Rubles or other foreign currency,she would

not know how much it was when she took it,so I think

she should be given the doubt.

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dishonest hotel maid tells Pattaya police she thought $200 was her tip

As the headline says $200, and she exchanged for THB 6500, one can assume it was US dollars.  Most Thai people know the value of the USD, as it has been relatively stable, as opposed to the pound or the euro.  It is not surprising that a Russian tourist carries USD, as the ruble is volatile and sometimes difficult to exchange.

• Like 1

Most Thais don't have a clue of the value of foreign money so of course she would take it to an exchange booth . If it was left laying on the bed or a unit all neat then yes she probably did think it was a tip.

What kind off ass leaves more than a few quid laying around a hotel room anyway ??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Most Thais don't have a clue of the value of foreign money so of course she would take it to an exchange booth . If it was left laying on the bed or a unit all neat then yes she probably did think it was a tip.

What kind off ass leaves more than a few quid laying around a hotel room anyway ??

Tell it to the judge.

A 200 baht tip is more credible.

I agree the cute Russkie tourist was at least partly to blame for this incident.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Somehow i feel sorry for the girl but maybe she did it many times then better face the consequences...

Gosh dhe steals the money and immediately buys some worthless  jewelry its sad...my experiences with maids in Thailand is that 99,9% is very very kind and i give always decent tip but not 200 usd.I feel a lenient sentence is appropriate since the Russian is partially to blame too..

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I also thought my chamber maid was a complimentary on my first visit to Pattaya????

Hot and cold running maid... haha... nothing is free in the land of smiles!

A lesson most learn in the first 5 minutes after landing!

If I check out and I am at Reception and leave money in the room - it is usually the TIP.

Normally not so much ?

But if I forget money to take or hide during my stay - it is not a TIP!  

So the Maid excuse is lame - but she is young  ?

On 9/12/2018 at 4:07 AM, worgeordie said:

The Russian has to take part blame to for leaving money

laying around,better not to tempt anyone.

If it was Rubles or other foreign currency,she would

not know how much it was when she took it,so I think

she should be given the doubt.

regards worgeordie

Just a kid. Should be given the benefit of the doubt. The Russian was a baztard to involve the police.  Shameless. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh dhe steals the money and immediately buys some worthless  jewelry

A gold ring isn't worthless locally, and can easily be sold again for over 90% of the purchase price. One of the most common ways here to convert cash into a personal item, often done to ward off good for nothing friends or family members trying to get in on the action when they get whiff of some disposable cash. 

• Like 1

I didn't read anywhere that he left the money lying around. To me. lying around, implies clearly out in the open, which could easily be considered a tip by a young hotel maid who possibly hasn't had a great deal of schooling. That's just an assumption and could be wrong, I know, but aren't most 18 year olds still in high school or on their way to tertiary education?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I didn't read anywhere that he left the money lying around. To me. lying around, implies clearly out in the open, which could easily be considered a tip by a young hotel maid who possibly hasn't had a great deal of schooling. That's just an assumption and could be wrong, I know, but aren't most 18 year olds still in high school or on their way to tertiary education?

A dishonest Pattaya hotel maid gave the excuse that she thought the money a Russian tourist left out in his Jomtien beach hotel room was a tip intended for her.

left out I am assuming means out in the open either desk or the bed