Noise in the early morning hours in my condo

soistalker

There is a rather large gentleman who owns the condo above mine. He makes a lot of noise in the middle of the night for several hours. He walks very heavily on the floor and drags furniture around. This is pretty much from 1a.m. to about 4a.m. every night.

I asked him to please walk quieter at night because I can't sleep. He was kind of a jerk about it, and said NO, that it was his condo and he will walk as he wants. He said if I have a problem with it to take it up with the office. 

What should I do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

This is a Thailand forum, please stick to things that exist here.

Welders use sunglasses, construction people wear flipflops, and big truck drivers take yaabaa. No way there is a store selling safety supplies in Thailand.?

I have seen construction people wearing them in Thailand so I know you can get them.  Even if you have to mail order them from outside the country.  I'm pretty sure you can get steel toed boots as well but have never looked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

This is a Thailand forum, please stick to things that exist here.

Welders use sunglasses, construction people wear flipflops, and big truck drivers take yaabaa. No way there is a store selling safety supplies in Thailand.?

Thai Wassadu sells welders goggles, safety shoes and ear defenders. Mind you, there's no way that I could sleep comfortably wearing those.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Whitson said:

Simple.... rent the condo above and give him a dose of his own medicine.

Then negotiate....from a position of strength!

So simple.  Except, oh I don't know.  Maybe it's not for rent.  Maybe he's on the top floor, maybe it's a lot more money.  Maybe he doesn't want to rent an apartment he has no need for.  Maybe maybe maybe.  But yea, other than that, simple :laugh:

Edited by lapd
  • Haha 2

Rather large..??.. Muscled? is he doing weights in the small hours?

If you've asked him and he refuses... Record the noise. Report to the Juristic committee.

He may be breaking his contract doing an activity which produces noise outside of normal working hours. 

It seems he could have been more reasonable, but we're you reasonable in your approach?

A lot of issues here in Thailand seem to get worse when handled in a confrontational manner. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whitson said:

Simple.... rent the condo above and give him a dose of his own medicine.

Then negotiate....from a position of strength!

Or... Simple...  Purchase the building, have it knocked down and re-built with far greater soundproofing so the noise from the guy above no longer disturbs you.... :whistling:

• Haha 2

The foam ear plugs are comfortable ( the plastic ones that look like a Xmas tree are terrible ). I used them constantly when working, you just need to change them regularly to avoid any infection.

80 baht for 4 pairs at Homepro.

The ear muffs ( defenders) , whilst being better for noise reduction, are not really practical for sleeping ( unless you’re Thai [emoji51]).

• Like 1

I had once a neighbor who switched on the stereo maybe 2am. And he always switched it on with 100% volume and then he reduced the volume maybe to 60% - still way too loud.

I called the security in our building every night and they visited him every night.

I don't remember how long it took but I think he was out of the apartment in a month or two.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you’re renting the condo, easy.... just move out when the lease expires or sooner if your property manager can’t fix the noise problem.

If you own the condo, take a loss (like every other person who has ever bought a Thai condo) by selling it and never buy one again. (Also like every other person who has ever bought a Thai condo)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't agree that you should have to take measures such as music or earplugs to mitigate the noise from an owner above you that is causing annoyance on a regular basis due to his  anti social behavior between 1am and 4am .Please contact the Juristic manager and the committee member for you building .Presumably he is also disturbing owners in the adjacent rooms who will support your complaint .A warning letter  from the management is the first step .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soistalker said:

He walks very heavily on the floor and drags furniture around. This is pretty much from 1a.m. to about 4a.m. every night.

This suggests that he'll be sleeping around 7-8 am. If you have a balcony, buy an angle grinder and a couple of meter of 2x4 metal square tube, and start cutting.

• Haha 1

Hmm.

Well, yes, you probably do need to take it up with the office.

Especially about moving furniture.

If he's a big guy and wants to walk around, I agree with him, he has the right. But moving furniture is extreme.

The trouble with escalating this is now running the risk of him intentionally making it worse.

I definitely wouldn't play games like people are saying and try to disturb him.

I will add, sorry, I am kind of skeptical that you brought this up politely when you confronted him about it.

Maybe you did but his response sounds like you may have provoked him at least with your tone/attitude.