Farang friendly hifi stores in Bangkok?

Will E Vormer

Gonna let off some steam here- what is it with snobby high end audio stores here in Bangkok?

Went to purchase a Mcintosh amp at a store in Siam Paragon and they just couldnt be bothered. Was it laziness or something else? Ended up walking out in disgust. Also ordered products from another store and waited a month, staff couldnt give any indication of when order wd arrive. I went to the store to complain and some loss of face involved, hey presto, the order was cancelled. 

I'm sure part of this is being a foreigner, so my question is, are there any unsnobby, farang friendly Audio shops here?

Edited by Will E Vormer
  • Like 1

I got a similar vibe from a couple of shops at the Paragon. Luckily, was enough to make me decide to refrain. Mentioned this to a Thai acquaintance (rather well-to-do, and more into this stuff than myself) and he said it's a general thing. Sort of like how staff in expensive restaurants can sometimes be snotty if you don't look the part etc.

There's a bunch of shops over at Fortune Town - some geared toward collectors, which provide an overall more customer oriented service experience. Staff (which I think is often the owners or long term workers) also more knowledgeable about products etc.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

I've never bought Hifi gear in Thailand, but i have bought (or mostly tried buying) other imported stuff

Even the shops which are called "official importer" of a brand have hardly anything in stock.

When a customer wants an item which they don't have in stock (seems to apply to about 98% of what the manufacturer produces) they will gather these orders, and once they have collected enough they will actually place the order with the manufacturer abroad.

So when you order something that comes from abroad it usally takes them 2-3 months (maybe they place the orders quarterly?)

If you want anything imported the best and cheapest option is clearly to have a friend bring it with him when he comes to Thailand.

Other than that if you just order from abroad and have it shipped here i would say in average you pay the same price as in a shop here in Thailand. You can be lucky and don't have to pay tax, then you save money, or you are unlucky and have to pay tax, then it might cost a bit more, but i think in average this evens out and you will have the product after a week or two

Edited by jackdd

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Other than that if you just order from abroad and have it shipped here i would say in average you pay the same price as in a shop here in Thailand. You can be lucky and don't have to pay tax, then you save money, or you are unlucky and have to pay tax, then it might cost a bit more, but i think in average this evens out and you will have the product after a week or two

Shipping cost and customs duty could eat the OP alive.     Once shipped it's out of his control and in the hands of the customs officers.

• Like 1

There is a really good used shop in On Nut/Srinakarin, selling mainly imported japanese Accuphase gear. I really recommend it, PM if interested. Piyanas and Conice are the best stores for new gear Imo. The pleasant lady boss at Conice gets a special mention, for replying to my queries and calling me back. I'm buying a Bluesound Node streamer from Conice today (amazing sale deal)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McIntosh Dealer is K.S. Sons they have shops in Fortune Town, CDC & Paragon.

They are quite nice people, and I have dealt with them for many years for Audio Research products.

Not sure about Paragon, but there is a woman working at the fortune town shop who speaks perfect English.

They also have a few nice Mcintosh amps in the 2nd hand section, like a nice MC275.

Google K.S. Sons and you will find their web site, it has a used page as well. If you do not get what you want from their staff, just ask them to call the head office and let you speak to the boss.

IF you like PM me and I will give you the owners name and put you in touch with him.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Thais that don't speak English just don't want to be bothered dealing with a Farang's expectation which rarely can be met in the first place.

plus all the misunderstandings that go along with the language barrier. 

You are not the first Farang who has walked out in disgust and they know where it is headed.

plus you know and I know nothing you really want is in stock anywhere.   :clap2:

And dont forget to add a dash of racism.

• Haha 1

i have had nothing but bad expereinces here in Thailand with high end audio.  i go to Kuala Lumpur now where they can speak English.  you would think that the staff of these stores here in Thailand could at least speak English since their clientele are mostly educated and upscale.  also in KL they have all the latest models and the prices are better.  just sent a Oppo player in for service up here in Chiang Mai, they sent it down to the factory repair facility in BKK, and than sent it back after not repairing it. sent it back again.  it worked for a week. $223.00, make sure you get a warranty on repairs which i did, also when i picked the unit up i asked for a receipt.  the staff here gave me a piece of paper in Thai,  had to ask for a proper repair document in English stating what was done and what had been replaced, i.e. logic board.  music is very important to me.  number one in fact.  yes i am a spoiled audiophile.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

I've never bought Hifi gear in Thailand, but i have bought (or mostly tried buying) other imported stuff

Even the shops which are called "official importer" of a brand have hardly anything in stock.

When a customer wants an item which they don't have in stock (seems to apply to about 98% of what the manufacturer produces) they will gather these orders, and once they have collected enough they will actually place the order with the manufacturer abroad.

So when you order something that comes from abroad it usally takes them 2-3 months (maybe they place the orders quarterly?)

If you want anything imported the best and cheapest option is clearly to have a friend bring it with him when he comes to Thailand.

they always say that they can get and than want you to pay up front without the audition.  what a joke

Just now, malibukid said:

they always say that they can get and than want you to pay up front without the audition.  what a joke

i was going to buy a new Ayre EX8 about $5K in the states, here about 8KU.S. after import tax.  Ayre would not convert it to 230v. Ayre would not sell it to me and told me to contact the Thailand Distributor.  i respected that.  and passed.

31 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And dont forget to add a dash of racism.

i can walk into a audio salon or a BMW dealership in Beverly Hills where i use to live and shop in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with long hair and   get first class treatment.  try that here. good luck,  ha ha.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

There is a really good used shop in On Nut/Srinakarin, selling mainly imported japanese Accuphase gear. I really recommend it, PM if interested. Piyanas and Conice are the best stores for new gear Imo. The pleasant lady boss at Conice gets a special mention, for replying to my queries and calling me back. I'm buying a Bluesound Node streamer from Conice today (amazing sale deal)

i went to Piyanas,  it was all high pressure.  no listen, just buy now please

23 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Lol I had well over 200k cash to buy on the spot. They told me the item had sold out. Pointed to the exact model and the guy says "not for sale". This is all well and good but just the dismissive manner of both staff members. 

demo models here are not for sale like in the States where you can get a sweet deal on a floor display

52 minutes ago, malibukid said:

demo models here are not for sale like in the States where you can get a sweet deal on a floor display

They had it advertised online, so assumed it was for sale, then thought staff might suggest an alternative. I always try and be as polite as possible, ar least until I know I'm being fobbed off.

PS Conice have a Bluesound sale this wknd, lovely service..picked up a 1st gen Node dac streamer for a meagre 7500 baht, and it does MQA. 

Will wait for BAV show in 2 weeks and purchase amp there, usually great deals to be had.

Edited by Will E Vormer

Yeah Conice have the Nad M22 discounted atm. Btw Central world branch has closed.

Doubt I will go back, but KS have the Mcintosh Ma252 at a reasonable 129k.. a very 'musical' sounding amp, tube hybrid with decent phono and headphone section. Looks are a matter of taste.

The Luxman dealer in NW bangkok has the new L-509x integrated in stock at 200k. A very good deal, considering the price in UK. 

Edited by Will E Vormer

On 9/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Will E Vormer said:

Lol I had well over 200k cash to buy on the spot. They told me the item had sold out. Pointed to the exact model and the guy says "not for sale". This is all well and good but just the dismissive manner of both staff members. 

I've seen every variation of that here...I just don't geeeeeeeet iiiiiiit.

NO initiative or sale closing ability...just an utter lack of interest...the ubiquitous 'NO HAVE' I've heard so many times.

You need to lead them by the hand to their senior or phone to chase the 'NO HAVE' item down somewhere in a warehouse.

(Bar girls excluded..stellar closing ability on that nearly finished drink for the next one)

• Haha 1

I kind of know what the OP is about,i had no luck here looking for some

decent older stereo stuff.Ended up buying it overseas and had it shipped.In Europe it is very easy to find nice secondhand stuff,over here not so.

I am well pleased with what i have now.

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

you would think that the staff of these stores here in Thailand could at least speak English since their clientele are mostly educated and upscale.

What for the staff should speak English, the clientele you mentioned speak fluent Thai ? 

On 9/14/2018 at 12:01 PM, Will E Vormer said:

This is common for those designer shops, even the ones in Singapore...wifey wanted to buy a LV purse, had the cash in her wallet, she said can i have this one that she was given to test....sorry but it's sold out! Aaaaargh...and they wouldn't sell the demo model nor put a sign on the ones they had that they were not for sale.

In Paragon i once bought a cordless shaver...the battery worked for 10 sec after charging so i brought it back....i had to wait for the customer service guy that speaks english...took me 15 minutes waiting for him...i told him i will never ever buy in Paragon again which i still won't do.

Yes service in Thailand is very appaling, also the level of english language for sales is...Paragon is one of the top-malls of bkk...it's a huge shame they can't speak english there but hey it's thailand....

One day i walked into Homepro with a list of products that they have and 200k baht cash...after an hour i left the shop without buying anything and a big hate of their salespeople....they are just unbelievably uneducated...again, this is thailand...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thian said:

This is common for those designer shops, even the ones in Singapore...wifey wanted to buy a LV purse, had the cash in her wallet, she said can i have this one that she was given to test....sorry but it's sold out! Aaaaargh...and they wouldn't sell the demo model nor put a sign on the ones they had that they were not for sale.

In Paragon i once bought a cordless shaver...the battery worked for 10 sec after charging so i brought it back....i had to wait for the customer service guy that speaks english...took me 15 minutes waiting for him...i told him i will never ever buy in Paragon again which i still won't do.

Yes service in Thailand is very appaling, also the level of english language for sales is...Paragon is one of the top-malls of bkk...it's a huge shame they can't speak english there but hey it's thailand....

One day i walked into Homepro with a list of products that they have and 200k baht cash...after an hour i left the shop without buying anything and a big hate of their salespeople....they are just unbelievably uneducated...again, this is thailand...

Sales and customer service here in Thailand is really a hit and mis experience. And a way more on mis side than what I am used to in Europe.

Home Pro being the worst of them all. I had to visit them over 50 times this year as I was redoing my condo from a scratch in Bangkok and had no choice. It's good thing you had a list cos I usually forget half the things I wanted after tens of hellos and no have, cannot do, conversations, with the know nothing, have nothing to do sales people standing around smiling. Every department does have sort of a "boss" with all the knowledge of his accessories, eg. the guy with the key to those electric switches etc.. But is understandably very very busy. Over 50 visits with purchases this year and not once, NOT ONCE , a smooth experience without waiting ten minutes for nothing etc. cashier not finding the discount code that is clearly written on the paper or something similar.

Then again I find most of the cashiers at BigC and Lotus very professional, even the high school students. Ikea seems to use lots of time training their stuff the basics there, seems to work great but remains very superficial. Most service in Thailand just cannot handle the negative feedback and then start to ignore the customer, making things worse. It is a cultural thing.

Going back to OPs high-end stores with very high snob factor. I'm not very knowledgable with hi-fi but have had similar experiences with high end musical instruments, big bikes etc. It really is a hit and mis thing. Some shops just don't care if they sell or not, some have brilliant service. I suggest you keep looking for the right shop and people first. Then try to get them find the parts for you. Sometimes buying online is just easier. Even international, I just imported some bags from the USA and the customs forwarded it in a week to my local post office with out problems and charged the correct duties. Everything by the book.

I’m brought to tears when I think of my rig back in Montreal that is packed in storage.
Wilson Audio, Jeff Rowland, PSA Directstream DAC and 6tb of music mostly hi-res and DSD.
Here I’m listening to Sonos and lo-do internet Streaming.
Oh well, other stuff to do here, but I miss my rig.[emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect