Interpreter handbook to help migrant workers know their rights

rooster59

Interpreter handbook to help migrant workers know their rights

By The Nation

a5cd5372dba51b04534fb26a8418684e.jpeg

IOM Thailand Chief of Mission Dana Graber Ladek (centre left) presents the Interpreter Handbook to Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Thai Ministry of Labour Petcharat Sin-auay (centre right). Photo: IOM

To help migrant workers in Thailand to overcome language barriers and better access protection and regal remedies, the UN Migration Agency (IOM), has partnered with the Ministry of Labour to develop a handbook targeting interpreters and Thai service providers.

Launched in Bangkok yesterday, the “Interpreter Handbook for the Protection and Assistance of Migrant Workers”, is intended to help build the capacity of interpreters and language coordinators working with migrants.

The first edition, available in Thai, covers protection-oriented principles, as well as details about the rights and duties of migrant workers, national labour protection laws and practical guidelines for interpretation. In addition to being distributed to all Ministry-employed interpreters nationwide, the handbook will also be publicly available to other service providers, including NGO staff, public health professionals, social workers, lawyers and others who deal with migrants in the course of their work.

“While many positive initiatives have been undertaken to develop policies and administrative structures to better regulate labour migration flows, a lot of protection challenges remain, mainly due to language and cultural barriers,” said IOM Thailand chief of mission Dana Graber Ladek.

“Interpreters play a vital role in helping migrant workers better understand their labour rights and the services available to them,” said Ladek.

Added Deputy Permanent Secretary for Labour Petcharat Sin-auay: “This handbook is the result of the participation of all actors – the government, NGOs, the private sector, civil society – in a coordinated effort towards the sustainable protection of migrant workers’ rights.”

Funded by the US Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, the handbook is an initiative under the Migrant Assistance and Protection Programme (MAPP) – a counter-trafficking project implemented in the Greater Mekong sub-region.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354510

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-15

The first edition, available in Thai,

well that'll help non thais

but if these books are for thais why would they take any notice of what they say  --  they have never done in the past

every foreign worker should be given a copy of this book so they can make sure they are not being exploited 

ha ha who am i qqq ing kidding

How do I get a copy of this publication? Is it , does it follow the law?

translation in Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese and English would be needed to be effective in dealing with migrant workers. So I won't hold my breath for that but a /the Thai version would be nice, my staff will translate the Thai to English.

We have capable migrants around to do the translation in their languages and have proof readers to back check the translation, will take a while but well worth it.

So where and when is this "Interpreter Handbook" available?

4 hours ago, ksamuiguy said:

How do I get a copy of this publication? Is it , does it follow the law?

translation in Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese and English would be needed to be effective in dealing with migrant workers. So I won't hold my breath for that but a /the Thai version would be nice, my staff will translate the Thai to English.

We have capable migrants around to do the translation in their languages and have proof readers to back check the translation, will take a while but well worth it.

So where and when is this "Interpreter Handbook" available?

Here is a link to the times and places of distribution......

hieroglyphics-weird-writing

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Interpreter handbook

Slight problem here.  To interpret is to change one spoken into another spoken language.  To translate is to change the written word from one language to another.  Therefore, I question whether the recipients of the book receive any form of equipment to allow them to listen to the spoken Thai language while they peruse the book?  That would assist them more than just being given a book which they cannot read if it is written in Thai.

'nuf sed

Archived