Restless legs driving me crazy.

giddyup

Why do pharmacists want to sell you something else if they don't have what you want? I just went to a local pharmacy to buy Baclofen but they "no hab", so she sells me (same, same) Bufenac Forte (Diclofenac) which is not the same thing at all.

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Why do pharmacists want to sell you something else if they don't have what you want? I just went to a local pharmacy to buy Baclofen but they "no hab", so she sells me (same, same) Bufenac Forte (Diclofenac) which is not the same thing at all.

Are you seriously going to self prescribe yourself baclofen based on a forum diagnosis?  You have described current symptoms of PLMS, and a history of RLS, which no one would tell you indicates PLMD, everyone would tell you that your report is normal for someone suffering from RLS, the symptoms often change into PLMS, but the root cause remains RLS.  There have not been any studies done on the effectiveness of baclofen in treating RLS, and that is because it would be dangerous to just hide the symptoms of RLS, which could be blood clots, in which case using baclofen could result in you developing deep vein thrombosis much quicker than you would have done had you not taken it. 

Have you at least been checked for diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, pregnancy, kidney failure, Parkinson's disease, and iron deficiency?

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Good, but can I ask what has not led you to rule out RLS and seek treatment for your PLMS under the assumption that it must be PLMD?

The last time I sought help for what was then RLS, the doctor at Bkk/Pattaya hospital prescribed Alprazolam. Now it seems to have progressed to hypnic jerks, so I don't see too much harm in trying what others with the same condition have had success with. I'm 76 years old, just want to try to get some relief before undergoing a whole battery of expensive tests, and probably end up being given trial and error medication anyway. I don't think trying something like Baclofen is going to do too much damage at my age, and it would only be long enough to see if I had any positive results.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

The last time I sought help for what was then RLS, the doctor at Bkk/Pattaya hospital prescribed Alprazolam. Now it seems to have progressed to hypnic jerks, so I don't see too much harm in trying what others with the same condition have had success with. I'm 76 years old, just want to try to get some relief before undergoing a whole battery of expensive tests, and probably end up being given trial and error medication anyway. I don't think trying something like Baclofen is going to do too much damage at my age, and it would only be long enough to see if I had any positive results.

Please try my exercise for a couple of weeks..Costs nothing...Put your hands on a table to steady yourself. Stand on tip toes for a few seconds, repeat 10/15 times. Wait one minute and do again..Do the routine 3 times. The same every day...

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Please try my exercise for a couple of weeks..Costs nothing...Put your hands on a table to steady yourself. Stand on tip toes for a few seconds, repeat 10/15 times. Wait one minute and do again..Do the routine 3 times. The same every day...

My partner has one of these that I've started using.

s-l1600.jpg

I have restless leg syndrome, have for any years. I take Trazodone 50mg per night. Brand name is Desirel. It will also help you sleep, at least it does for me, for 4 hours. Still fully functional if I need to get up.

The main drawback, is if I miss one night, there will be no sleep at all. Never went two nights. I've been on 50mg for years. No other side affects for me. From what I have read about it, it seems to be ok for long term. There is a pharmacy in the same block as the Sri Pattana hotel, to the right facing the hotel. About 10 doors down. They have it. 

My RLS is different. My legs ache, so I toss and turn and my legs continue to ache if I take nothing. You may have something totally different. This would be one thing to try, but seeing a better doctor might be in order. Good luck! Keep us informed on any progress.

Edited by PeterA
more information

On 9/21/2018 at 1:53 PM, toolpush said:

Over the years I would suffer RLS occasionally while in bed trying to go to sleep or in an airplane. I could never figure out why I would get this at seemingly random times. A few months back I had a craving for instant noodles and over the period of a few days, I consumed copious amounts of them. At the same time, I started experiencing severe RLS every single afternoon and night. I put two and two together and realized that the RLS must have come about because of the instant noodle "overdose". I do know that instant noodles are chock full of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and I now believe that is what caused the RLS. I have since religiously avoided all known sources of MSG and have not suffered RLS again.

You will not find any literature point MSG to RLS, unless it is written by the people that hate MSG. If you read on various  medical lit, you will be hard pressed to find anything other than the old rumors.  Your instant noodle overdose very well could have been craving for salt. So you have something missing in your diet. Once you get chemically imbalanced, hard to tell what is going on. Just my opinion..

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Need to consider, as mentioned previously the small but real risk that this is all secondary to another underlying serious condition.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Need to consider, as mentioned previously the small but real risk that this is all secondary to another underlying serious condition.

What other possible underlying serious condition?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

What other possible underlying serious condition?

Spinal tumor for one. Not very likely but part of the differential i.e. needs to be ruled out.

Also if you have sleep apnea (which as explained can be a causative factor) even reducing the jerks with medication will still nto get you the quality rest you need.

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Spinal tumor for one. Not very likely but part of the differential i.e. needs to be ruled out.

Also if you have sleep apnea (which as explained can be a causative factor) even reducing the jerks with medication will still nto get you the quality rest you need.

If it was sleep apnea, wouldn't the leg jerks be after I fall sleep, not just as I fall asleep? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/24/2018 at 5:23 PM, Sheryl said:

No. The causality is:

Sleep apnea ----> cumulative fatigue

Fatigue ---> leg jerks

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/10/2018 at 2:45 PM, tifino said:

Restless legs just need something to keep themselves occupied,

instead of being left to become too preoccupied in getting your attention

Perhaps if you suffered from RLS you wouldn't see it a such a joke.

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps if you suffered from RLS you wouldn't see it a such a joke.

Naah@ i'm just a glass half full instead of glass half empty type. Thai Airways got it right, in putting those rolling foot massage rollers as the feet rest thingos under the seats. .. even in cattle class. 

I have a jumpy left thigh... 

• 2 weeks later...