Audio and camera not installed.?

Gandtee

For some reason the audio and camera stopped working on Skype and Messenger on my laptop. Win Pro. Friends tried to fix it to no avail. I took it to a repairer in Bangkok. I now have no audio and camera on any site? I've tried to self fix by going to 'How to' on my PC, but again zilch. Any advice on how to fix it? It seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Thanks in anticipation. Try to make it simple if it's possible please.

Edited by Gandtee
Add words

First you should check if audio and camera devices are connected to your computer (if they are external).

Then go to the device manager and see if you see any exclamation marks for not installed drivers or problem.

You should see the name of your devices. That means they are connected.

Then try with any standard build in Windows program to use the audio and camera. That should work. If not then there is no point to continue with other programs.

If you confirmed all works with build-in programs then likely you have a problem with the settings in the program you use (i.e. Skype).

If you check in this order then you should find out where the problem happens - and then you can dig deeper for that problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First you should check if audio and camera devices are connected to your computer (if they are external).

Then go to the device manager and see if you see any exclamation marks for not installed drivers or problem.

You should see the name of your devices. That means they are connected.

Then try with any standard build in Windows program to use the audio and camera. That should work. If not then there is no point to continue with other programs.

If you confirmed all works with build-in programs then likely you have a problem with the settings in the program you use (i.e. Skype).

If you check in this order then you should find out where the problem happens - and then you can dig deeper for that problem.

Isn't Skype a built-in Windows app these days? But, yes, try Sound Recorder for audio.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Isn't Skype a built-in Windows app these days? But, yes, try Sound Recorder for audio.

I know it's owned my MS but I am not sure if it is included in the standard installation.

Something like Sound Recorder or Windows Media Player is better for testing.

There are too many options in Skype which could be set wrong. Not impossible to test but more difficult.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know it's owned my MS but I am not sure if it is included in the standard installation.

There are too many options in Skype which could be set wrong. Not impossible to test but more difficult.

Agree, and just for another gripe. the NEW Skype is absolutely PANTS, and I think MS have backed down and will re-introduce the older version. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Camera test:

hit <WIN> key, enter "camera" in the search field and click on Camera app.

Voice Recoder:

hit <WIN> key, enter "voice recorder" in the search field and click on Voice Recorder app.

If these apps don't work then the problem is not Skype specific and it's time to go to the device manager.

Right click on the Start symbol and select Device Manager.

Check whether you see the expected devices under "Audio Video and Game Controller" and they don't show problems.

• Like 1

In relation to your Skype issues, perhaps Microsoft are finally shutting down the old versions.  Which version do you have?  If you uninstall and reinstall Version 8, it might work. 

This is a story off the first page from a Google search.

https://www.windowscentral.com/skype-classic-be-retired-september-1-replaced-skype-version-80

After trying to get the problem fixed at the computer shop I now have no sound on any site!! I've tried to self fix to no avail. When I've calmed down I think I will have to take it to another shop where hopefully they have more experience. ????

18 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

After trying to get the problem fixed at the computer shop I now have no sound on any site!! I've tried to self fix to no avail. When I've calmed down I think I will have to take it to another shop where hopefully they have more experience. ????

There is no sound from the computer speakers and the 3.5mm audio port, or just the computer speakers?  Have you tried with some earphones?  Have you double checked all volume settings? (no offense) 

If you have had an external audio device plugged into it before it may be set as the default.  You need to go into settings and make the computer speakers the default speakers.

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Before you take it to another computer shop, try running the audio troubleshooter.

Go to the Control Panel (Windows key+R, type control panel)

1055657961_troubleshootsound-1.jpg.bb0eeca8b960a3ea9ea77b11bb27fc66.jpg

If not already done, Change the View By option to either Small or Large Icons and click on the Troubleshooting icon.

637401047_troubleshootsound.jpg.2319c5eb406d1dea3923aa1e699daf40.jpg

Scan down to Hardware & Sound and click on Troubleshoot audio playback.

Edited by chrisinth

22 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Before you take it to another computer shop, try running the audio troubleshooter.

Go to the Control Panel (Windows key+R, type control panel)

1055657961_troubleshootsound-1.jpg.bb0eeca8b960a3ea9ea77b11bb27fc66.jpg

If not already done, Change the View By option to either Small or Large Icons and click on the Troubleshooting icon.

637401047_troubleshootsound.jpg.2319c5eb406d1dea3923aa1e699daf40.jpg

Scan down to Hardware & Sound and click on Troubleshoot audio playback.

Did that. 'Trouble shooting couldn't identify the problem'. Thanks for the reply though.

3 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Did that. 'Trouble shooting couldn't identify the problem'. Thanks for the reply though.

Right clicked on speaker icon for trouble shooting report. 'There might be a problem with your audio device.' An understatement! Thanks again anyway.

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Right clicked on speaker icon for trouble shooting report. 'There might be a problem with your audio device.' An understatement! Thanks again anyway.

OK, I feel a bit stupid now. After advising you on steps to take, I thought I'd try my Skype install (after the last update, version 12.1815.210.0). I couldn't use the microphone!

Your computer will likely be different, ie, using a different audio manager, but this is how I got the audio working with Skype. Again, assuming you are using W10...............

Click on the Hidden Icon arrow (^) to the right of your task bar and look for a similar icon as below. Right click on the icon and open the manager.

audio-01.jpg.7665f12242c1a43c0491f5aaeb401caa.jpg

Right click on the icon and open the manager.

audio-02.jpg.f28a3046e692336a09c093d1e584417a.jpg

The Speaker button was OK (I could hear Skype Echo service when testing) with no mute symbol showing.

audio-03.jpg.bb8bd7c342fdd81ed27b60d08e78ca7f.jpg

Selecting Microphone array, the volume was showing Muted.

audio-04.jpg.cae8219e3982d40ea40fa76dd176612f.jpg

Click on the Mute icon to clear and click OK. Try Skype again, mine worked!

As said earlier, this may be a different setup to your computer, but you should have a HD audio manager somewhere. Let us know if this worked for you.

Edited by chrisinth

As far as your camera goes, not sure. But you could check this if you haven't already.

Click on the notification icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and click on All Settings.

camera-01.jpg.41f3d9e7966330c68e84ae9c4261dd4b.jpg

From All Settings, click on the Privacy icon and select Camera from the left side.

camera-02.jpg.0cfe127c9fd8fd9c6fc453092db8ee35.jpg

camera-03.jpg.44d422490eea7beddeaf0d1e4b90ab54.jpg

On the right side, make sure Skype in toggled to On.

camera-04.jpg.0339bcb0138c4d1036689b1182544a9f.jpg

Not sure if that helps, but it won't harm to check; you can remove another cause from your list......................:smile:

19 hours ago, chrisinth said:

OK, I feel a bit stupid now. After advising you on steps to take, I thought I'd try my Skype install (after the last update, version 12.1815.210.0). I couldn't use the microphone!

Your computer will likely be different, ie, using a different audio manager, but this is how I got the audio working with Skype. Again, assuming you are using W10...............

Click on the Hidden Icon arrow (^) to the right of your task bar and look for a similar icon as below. Right click on the icon and open the manager.

audio-01.jpg.7665f12242c1a43c0491f5aaeb401caa.jpg

Right click on the icon and open the manager.

audio-02.jpg.f28a3046e692336a09c093d1e584417a.jpg

The Speaker button was OK (I could hear Skype Echo service when testing) with no mute symbol showing.

audio-03.jpg.bb8bd7c342fdd81ed27b60d08e78ca7f.jpg

Selecting Microphone array, the volume was showing Muted.

audio-04.jpg.cae8219e3982d40ea40fa76dd176612f.jpg

Click on the Mute icon to clear and click OK. Try Skype again, mine worked!

As said earlier, this may be a different setup to your computer, but you should have a HD audio manager somewhere. Let us know if this worked for you.

No joy! It showed 'No audio devices installed.'

On 9/25/2018 at 10:17 PM, KneeDeep said:

What is the make and model number of the device? I don't know why people don't quote this in the first instance. 

Perhaps no Drivers have been installed after a feature update.

It's an Everis laptop. Model E2004. As I've said before, audio failed on Skype and Messenger. The repair shop uninstalled and reinstalled what was on it before I had the problem and gave me a memory stick which contains what they installed,  I presume? When I checked it I have no audio on any site. Checking the audio icon it says No audio device installed. When using the memory stick and going to devices it shows Realtek Enforced and Realtek Intel. But appears to show them as uninstalled.? I'm no expert on computers and maybe I've compounded the problem by trying to rectify the problem myself. Thanks for any tips anyway. Perhaps the best advice is to let someone who knows what they are doing have a go at it. Just to give you a laugh I've left the bloody charger at my other house up country, but still got a couple of hours of battery left. 85s not a good age for combatting hitec stuff.

This is an unsupported device sold only in New Zealand. It has a very poor reputation.

The first thing that I would do is to clean install Windows 10.

If the problem persisted, I would look here.

The problem being, is that all of this may be beyond you. Since no one here(or anywhere for that matter) knows anything about Everis laptops, it will be difficult to guide you remotely if anything goes wrong.

In addition, I have no idea what to make of your description of what someone else has done to the laptop. I don't even know if there is a recovery partition or not and how to access it. There isn't an online manual anywhere for that device.

But since you are not I, your best course of action may be to Reset the PC.

Click here for details.

21 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

This is an unsupported device sold only in New Zealand. It has a very poor reputation.

The first thing that I would do is to clean install Windows 10.

If the problem persisted, I would look here.

The problem being, is that all of this may be beyond you. Since no one here(or anywhere for that matter) knows anything about Everis laptops, it will be difficult to guide you remotely if anything goes wrong.

In addition, I have no idea what to make of your description of what someone else has done to the laptop. I don't even know if there is a recovery partition or not and how to access it. There isn't an online manual anywhere for that device.

But since you are not I, your best course of action may be to Reset the PC.

Click here for details.

Thankyou for the reply. The best advice I've had. Yes my daughter bought the laptop for me when I was in NZ last Christmas. I was due to go back again this Christmas and if the laptop hadn't been tampered with I could have sent it back under the warranty. If! If!. Meanwhile I'll get my niece to have a go at it when I retrieve my charger. Many thanks again. I'll keep you posted regarding the outcome.

30 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thankyou for the reply. The best advice I've had. Yes my daughter bought the laptop for me when I was in NZ last Christmas. I was due to go back again this Christmas and if the laptop hadn't been tampered with I could have sent it back under the warranty. If! If!. Meanwhile I'll get my niece to have a go at it when I retrieve my charger. Many thanks again. I'll keep you posted regarding the outcome.

You might still be able to send it back, but of course one doesn't know what exactly has been done.

An issue with that kind of device, is that is utilises a 32GB SD card for storage, instead of a 'proper' solid state drive.

This often leads to people having problems with Windows 10 feature updates, as they don't appear to have enough space to process them.

I suspect that is what occurred with your device in the first instance, as some devices will allow you to plug-in another SD card in order to increase storage space.

But there are other way of tackling the issue. Only the person to whom you handed the machine over, knows the path he took.

So it could be that you can simply Reset the laptop and it won't appear to have been tampered with.

The real issue is that because you are from such an isolated island, you can be sold the kind of product that simply has no support. Haven't found any kind of website for the device.

Pleasant enough place to live. Though they use frozen chips in their fish & chips shops and everything is a bit expensive.