Mop buckets - am I missing the point?

RickG16

Done the rounds of the major supermarkets and home hardware shops looking for a mop bucket with an attachment that allows you to squeeze / drain the mop, but all I can find are standard buckets.

Do all Thais wring out the mop by hand (which I have seen done) or us there another solution? 

Just now, RickG16 said:

So no normal mops about.. Just these spin mops? 

Honestly, I haven't looked into it enough but this is what I've seen in big c etc too. 

Must be crying a lot of tears lately to be needing a mop. The plight of utd fans.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Thian said:

Those spinning mops always sell well at big fairs like the homepro expo. Add some loudspeakers and a yelling salesgirl to it and they sell like hot cakes.

Why do all Thai sales girls with the loud speakers have such sceaching voices?  

And those pedal operated spinning buckets really dry the mop?

I think the OP is looking for the wringer type as pictured....The old metal style with the foot pedal seems extinct...

I have glanced & seen similar to pic 1 - Thai-Watsadu?? Maybe Global House = but they were commercial sized....

images-31.jpg

images-17.jpg

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.bEHJ

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thank you for the link to something that appears to be the closest available to the old-style, 'twist to wring', metal buckets referred to by the OP.

I've been through various spin mops (from HomePro/Tesco Lotus) and, one way or another, they've all been a waste of money ☹️.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I've been trying for ten years to get a galvanised steel mop bucket with no success. A good squeeze on these plastic ones and they break. That's why every time the wife mops the floor it ends up swimming in water.

I wouldn't go that far (swimming in water) - but they are entirely useless.

28 minutes ago, jesimps said:

That's why every time the wife mops the floor it ends up swimming in water.

Possibly she's expecting that you'll jump in and show her how it should be done. Then she'll announce she could never do it as well as you and settle in a comfy chair to watch a real pro at work.

husband.png.cc0d4959df6c4ea58a715bb510d7eb95.png

14 hours ago, RickG16 said:
14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

So no normal mops about.. Just these spin mops? 

They also sell Pull and Twist Types in most large stores - https://www.lazada.co.th/products/magic-twist-mop-pull-squeeze-360-ezytwist-purpleyellow-i127944959-s135080871.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.735d33eexEOnbh&search=1

And the squeeze type (although not a mop, its a sponge type pad or similar) - https://www.lazada.co.th/products/vileda-super-squeeze-mop-i232145027-s355469132.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.17.735d33eexEOnbh&search=1

There are also other styles of floor cleaning 'mop' that feature automated squeezing methods to expel excess water.    

I stick with the manual kind of wringers like the one Crossy shows in his post (#6).

Having said that, I also, purely by coincidence, spent about 1 1/2 hours this morning trying to fix one of those "spinning" mop buckets that the family across the soi has. It stopped "spinning" and "momma" didn't want to throw it out. I really didn't want to mess with it as it looked like a cheap piece of crap and I figured it would fall apart the moment I touched it. Lent momma a screwdriver and she started in to taking it apart.

Of course, she couldn't figure out what the problem was so I came over to take a look and spent the next 90 minutes trying to get the grungy, smelly mess back together and working. (A retaining clip had popped off and caused one of the gears inside to jam.)

Apparently the bucket was only a few months old and they'd paid over 1,000 baht for it (which explains why she was reluctant to throw it away).

The thing is made up of cheap plastic parts that appear to be designed to fall apart sooner rather than later, held together with cheap steel retaining washers and screws that are designed to rust out very quickly as well. 

I've seen the same thing being promoted at Big C a few times and it just didn't look like a good deal to me. 

The cheap tin mop handles are a joke as well. I've gone through a couple of them as they tend to rust out at the base where you connect the mop head. At least they are cheap and easy to replace and what is left of the mop handle can be used in a planter to help plants grow straight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Why do all Thai sales girls with the loud speakers have such sceaching voices?  

And those pedal operated spinning buckets really dry the mop?

Why do they have such screeching voices?

Because they are trained to speak / yell like that. They think it sounds professional.

Watch the shopping at home ads on TV, same thing. The extra point about the salespeople on TV, think they are gods. 

I recall an old Thai colleagues who hated this 'voice' so such that he told a sales spruker girl who kept following him that she sounded like a low class fisher woman (in Thai). She indicated she was insulted and disappeared in tears so I'm told.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

the whole country is awash with the cheapest poorest quality Chinese garbage and no one here has a clue about how horrible it all is. 

I stopped looking for anything of quality in this country years ago. Home Pro, Global House, Thai Watsadu. All the same shit. You can't even buy a garden hose here that is not crap.

OK, I feel better now. :clap2: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

i am curious to know if this is a joke post or not.. my friend up north kept buying the spinner mops and they would always break.. I could go for something like this but while I was gone for a few months some genius handyman decided to PAINT the floor here using gray wall paint and I within an hour of moving back in I had already pieces of it flaking off.

wonder what that steamer thing would do to it.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

the whole country is awash with the cheapest poorest quality Chinese garbage and no one here has a clue about how horrible it all is. 

I stopped looking for anything of quality in this country years ago. Home Pro, Global House, Thai Watsadu. All the same shit. You can't even buy a garden hose here that is not crap.

OK, I feel better now. :clap2: 

Na, ya don't really ! Me thinks ya need a few beers & then you may feel a bit better.