VAT refund when online shopping?

jethro69

I'm after the Xiaomi MI8, found an offer on LAZADA for the 256GB version which matches almost the Aliexpress prices.

As I'm on a short trip to Cambodia anyway next month, I would like to claim the VAT at Swampy. Is the yellow form mandatory, or could you claim the tax as well on Swampy, assumed you have the correct receipt, which you should actually have if ordered online.

Hi Jethro69,

We bought a laptop several years ago, as tourists returning home, (as we weren't residents then.)

From memory it wasn't quite as easy as you may believe, at purchase you register with details of payment & passport copies taken & application forms filled, several of these are kept & a couple you keep to go with your purchase for inspection at customs as you depart Thailand, think you must fly out within 30 days of purchase to be able to claim the refund also

Hope this is of some help.

CANDA.

1 hour ago, canda said:

think you must fly out within 30 days of purchase to be able to claim the refund also

Pretty sure it's 60 days.

http://vrtweb.rd.go.th/index.php/en/

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/56337.0.html

No clue if the Lazada seller will supply the P.P. 10? I'm not even sure I've seen the VAT Refund sign in a Mi store, although a more mainstream outlet like Jaymart does offer VAT Refund option.

3f4a23588cbb867aaf504e32f901d79a.jpg

I was on a chat with Lazada last week, and it might be possible, but actually you have to deal with the actual shop.

I ended up to buy a bit of a lower version of a Xiaomi phone, the Poco F1, it was just below 10000, and not worth the hassle.

After all it's only 7% vat and there is a handling fee as well.

On the other hand, I had 2-3 years back a computer purchase in Germany (online, VAT 19%), after stamping it out at the airport, I sended back the stamped bill, and got the full amount back on my CC. Made the purchase in the GF's name (Thai passport).

I read a bit through the Amazon website a couple of weeks back, they offer the same servive, you just have to know.

Archived