British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

From my understanding and looking at Thai Lawyer Websites- some advertise that there are British Lawyers working with them.  Certainly, they could draw up a stat letter and countersign it and give an Oath. Would Thai Imm accept it? 

Would the British Embassy be prepared to  issue their own letter in English/Thai for Thai Imm indicating that Law Firms in Thailand can now do this type of Letter or a Letter?  The BE in Bangkok appears to have ceased doing any  Notarials  and are referring citizens to the legal offices approved by the BE . Why are other BE in adjacent countries like Vietnam and Cambodia doing statutory decs when their British population is lower than Thailand???  Lot's of whys- questions need to be asked and answers given.

Maybe go to Cambodia and get a income verification letter and use it in Thailand??

23 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

From my understanding and looking at Thai Lawyer Websites- some advertise that there are British Lawyers working with them.  Certainly, they could draw up a stat letter and countersign it and give an Oath. Would Thai Imm accept it? 

Would the British Embassy be prepared to  issue their own letter in English/Thai for Thai Imm indicating that Law Firms in Thailand can now do this type of Letter or a Letter?  The BE in Bangkok appears to have ceased doing any  Notarials  and are referring citizens to the legal offices approved by the BE . Why are other BE in adjacent countries like Vietnam and Cambodia doing statutory decs when their British population is lower than Thailand???  Lot's of whys- questions need to be asked and answers given.

Thats the question...will Immigration accept it?? One wonders why the BE havent explored this avenue instead of dumping us outright

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Someone would have to ask Thai imm if they would accept it.  Or better yet- why doesn't the BE continue the  letter until all other ideas; alternative solutions and comments from the British public have been researched and answered.  

see post 1772

2 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The BE have seen there is an alternative, the 400k/800k route, so as far as they are concerned, that's the end of it.

Looks like it's up to Thai immigration to say where they stand with regard to British retirees wanting to go the income route.

Looks like it's the letter way or the highway

15 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Maybe go to Cambodia and get a income verification letter and use it in Thailand??

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Someone would have to ask Thai imm if they would accept it.  Or better yet- why doesn't the BE continue the  letter until all other ideas; alternative solutions and comments from the British public have been researched and answered.  

Thai immigration will accept a verification letter for a non-o visa from a foreign embassy, so one would hope they'd accept one for a retirement extension.

image.png.6a34583c63ec475030060f72d6d961e2.png

• Like 2

Just received an email to say that our petition to reinstate the income letters has now been published.
Here's the link:  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120
We have a long way to go - only 30 signatures so far and we need at least 10,000!

Signed

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Its Gone Live Folks, it took the 7 Days to Review...Get it out to Everyone who wants the Income Letter back!:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/230120

petition.png

I have signed and sent the link to friends and family in the UK. I hope everyone does the same. Even those Brits who are not directly affected can, surely, see the unfairness of the situation.

• Like 2

Good to hear that the Embassy are condescendingly "blessing" a few of us with replies to our emails at any rate!

And good also to learn that they may now be backtracking on their previous BS statements regarding the acceptability of bank statements in lieu of Embassy letters, now that it may finally have got into their thick skulls that the only alternative in the case of retirement extensions is 800k in the bank. All they need to do now is to correct the website link stated at the end of Ms Peth's reply by removing the what are clearly now in practice incorrect monthly income references. 

Yes that was irresponsible to publish. The responsible guidance is to get the income letters as long as you can as they are good for 6 months and beyond that begin to fund a seasoned bank account to use via the bank account method. Nothing about income. Or if you can't of course plan to leave Thailand.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I posted the petition on PA forum as well and asked them to pin it but they haven't replied yet... if people really care about this then they need to share with all friends.    I worked out if we got 50 signatures a day we'd reach 10K in 6 months which is the cut off date

I haven't seen or read the actual petition, so let me ask a question.  Is it fitting and appropriate for others (non-British citizens) who support the cause to sign it?  Or, is the format/setting of it such that it's only appropriate for British citizens to sign?

Also, can you provide a link as yet to the actual online petition?

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Most immigration offices will not ask to see any backup proof for the income letter. If asked for they would accept the printouts.

At Khampaeng Phet they also ask for original or copies of all my pensions and they check the Embassy letter to see if it is embossed or not.

At this point I don't have a problem until next August when my renewal is due again and I would sincerely hope that between now and then some sort of solution will appear.

I am starting my plan B which is registering my marriage at the local amphur and my UK marriage certificate has already been translated into Thai and accepted at Chiang Wattana.

I do have enough income to qualify (depending on the forex rate of the day) but I don't have 800,000 baht in the bank, nor do I at this point have a letter from the Embassy.

This is what the KPP office required in August 2018.

Copy 1 and 2 were simply my spares.

Tick box for retirement extension 2018.xls

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

For confirmed bachelors getting married is nearer to doing a pole vault, sans pole, than a hurdle and that makes it an incredibly difficult thing for them so you have to have sympathy for those guys. Nigh impossible for the very old while quietly living out their days and then being confronted by this problem, that may be when arriving at immigration to renew their retirement extension. It may cause some to choose the ultimate solution, very sad!! :-( Another problem created by Thai immigration and the BE with no thought given to the elderly bachelor!

Maybe this topic will be raised with the relevant authority and hopefully given serious consideration as I'm sure nobody wants even a single person to commit suicide as a result of the proposed change.