British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am speculating,

don't know how you categorize your posts Tanoshi,

but it doesn't really matter.

I wish I had some certitudes.

At least British & Americans were clearly informed by their embassy.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Notarial_Services.html

We understand that the British Embassy in Bangkok will no longer be providing British nationals with letters confirming their income from 1 January 2019.

The Australian Embassy does not issue income letters. Our notarial services include the witnessing of Australian statutory declarations for Australian citizens, or for use in Australia. This process remains unchanged.

The Australian Embassy is clearly aware of the situation.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Nobody can, anywhere, with anything, a certain amount of reasonable trust is required, it all boils down to what is reasonable.

Agreed and at some point Thai Imm- if they want to continue with the provisions of the  65K income stream are going to have to accept this- Income stream is easy to prove- with pension letters- foreign and local bank accounts- debit cards- etc.  All entities such as mortgage companies/loan companies  ask for more than one proof- with often double and treble sources and cross reference the numbers.  You get the loan- you have to pay it back.  You get the extension- you have to have money to live on. It's really that simple.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Or lack of coordination between Embassies and Immigration. Apparently the Embassies were told certain things by Imm at a meeting back in May that Imm has not in fact acted on/implemented to date (and we have no idea if they are planning to/anything in the works) and then went ahead with their announcements to stop issuing letters without first ascertaining that Imm had done the needful to enable retirees to use the income method without an Embassy letter.

Safe to assume any meetings the Embassy had were with central level Imm officials. These may be several steps removed from the staff who actually process applications.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

that very last sentence of yours explains why dealing with authorities in LoS is interesting and sometimes a challenge

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Safe to assume any meetings the Embassy had were with central level Imm officials. These may be several steps removed from the staff who actually process applications.

And then you have these officials talking to a crew of up and coming consuls from the embassies that are here on diplomatic passports for their "tour of duty" who don't understand the Thai immigration regulations and have not been proactive and discussed the problems with those involved and do understand.  The uninformed meeting with the know it alls  making policy that affects the lives of thousands that live here.  Sounds like normal governmental procedure!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

This us precisely the problem and US Embassy is under the same misimpression.

Entirely possible that some central level higher up at TI told them this, but local Imm offices do not know this/have not been informed and it is going to take a circular from Bkk to inform them. My fear us that none is in the works because central level is unaware of the problem. A train wreck in the making. I urge everyone affected to alert the BE/US Embassy now so that they can communucate the issue to their counterparts at TI.

But that would mean that without any reason or pressure to do so the TI is proposing to change or offer more possibilities to prove income, doesn't sound right to me. If this was the case ie. 'you don't need the embassy letter anymore' why are all the other embassies still issuing the letter and in the case of the embassy I use saying we have no plans to stop the letter ?

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

But that would mean that without any reason or pressure to do so the TI is proposing to change or offer more possibilities to prove income, doesn't sound right to me. If this was the case ie. 'you don't need the embassy letter anymore' why are all the other embassies still issuing the letter and in the case of the embassy I use saying we have no plans to stop the letter ?

nice little earner

It's all becoming pretty obvious, isn't it? Thailand is tired of too many foreigners not able to live sufficiently in Thailand, to include many who are stiffing hospitals. This includes some (many?) who have historically shown completely valid and verifiable income statements -- but whose income -- for many and varied reasons -- is not arriving in sufficient amounts into Thailand. Answer: Have that money *arrive* in sufficient amounts into Thailand. And the easiest and most efficient means to do this -- and verify it -- is to have that money deposited into a Thai bank account. No, Immigration is not going to look at 36 ATM receipts (the number for 65k/mo ATM pulls).

So, get ready. Sure the combo method will still be around, maybe even with tweaked numbers to our benefit. And, yeah, embassy income letters will be around for awhile, except of course for the US and UK. But these letters will be phased out eventually.

Pretty simple, actually. Thailand weeds out those of insufficient means to live here. And maybe there will be some serendipity -- like, lines at CM Immigration becoming manageable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

you don't need the embassy letter anymore' why are all the other embassies still issuing the letter and in the case of the embassy I use saying we have no plans to stop the letter ?

The statement "you don't need the embassy letter anymore" is totally a misinterpretation of the Thai police order that states "or proof of 65000 baht income per month".  The problem is somewhere there is a Directive in Thai, either ministerial or interdepartmental with in immigration, that established the criteria for the income letter.  The Embassies should go back and check their records on exactly why they starting issuing the income letter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

It's all becoming pretty obvious, isn't it? Thailand is tired of too many foreigners not able to live sufficiently in Thailand, to include many who are stiffing hospitals. This includes some (many?) who have historically shown completely valid and verifiable income statements -- but whose income -- for many and varied reasons -- is not arriving in sufficient amounts into Thailand. Answer: Have that money *arrive* in sufficient amounts into Thailand. And the easiest and most efficient means to do this -- and verify it -- is to have that money deposited into a Thai bank account. No, Immigration is not going to look at 36 ATM receipts (the number for 65k/mo ATM pulls).

So, get ready. Sure the combo method will still be around, maybe even with tweaked numbers to our benefit. And, yeah, embassy income letters will be around for awhile, except of course for the US and UK. But these letters will be phased out eventually.

Pretty simple, actually. Thailand weeds out those of insufficient means to live here. And maybe there will be some serendipity -- like, lines at CM Immigration becoming manageable.

There is a biscuit in Germany called' Spekulatius', I suspect you have eaten a box full

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wayned said:

The statement "you don't need the embassy letter anymore" is totally a misinterpretation of the Thai police order that states "or proof of 65000 baht income per month".  The problem is somewhere there is a Directive in Thai, either ministerial or interdepartmental with in immigration, that established the criteria for the income letter.  The Embassies should go back and check their records on exactly why they starting issuing the income letter.

because it was easy for them ?  or maybe foreigners at that time had a hard job getting a Thai bank account.

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So how do the documents you provide 'PROVE' your income? If everyone could manage that magic proof, there wouldn't be a problem!  I assume you mean that the documents you provide SUPPORT YOUR claims about your income, but it's hard to see how they PROVE anything.

Which is the nub of the problem: the Thais say they want something which noone in Thailand can give them, short of a 1-month wait as assorted police forces and taxation agencies around the world leap into action with thousands of new employees whose sole job is to fix Thailand's immigration problems ... It could be of course that the Thais don't really want PROOF at all: it's just a mistranslation which the embassies could point out and it would all then just go away as a misunderstanding!

My official Income Tax return.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This us precisely the problem and US Embassy is under the same misimpression.

Entirely possible that some central level higher up at TI told them this, but local Imm offices do not know this/have not been informed and it is going to take a circular from Bkk to inform them. My fear us that none is in the works because central level is unaware of the problem. A train wreck in the making. I urge everyone affected to alert the BE/US Embassy now so that they can communucate the issue to their counterparts at TI.

It's quite possible that proof of income has always been available through deposits in a Thai bank, bank statements and a letter from the bank, same as deposited funds.

Immigration orders are very vague regarding proof of income:

'Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or' is the exact wording.

No mention of the method of evidence, in a foreign bank, a Thai bank, or the Embassy income letter we are all familiar with.

It would be interesting if a British expat resident in Bangkok, would actually be prepared to test the information.

i.e. Submitting 12 months Thai bank statements without a BE letter.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's quite possible that proof of income has always been available through deposits in a Thai bank, bank statements and a letter from the bank, same as deposited funds.

Immigration orders are very vague regarding proof of income:

'Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or' is the exact wording.

No mention of the method of evidence, in a foreign bank, a Thai bank, or the Embassy income letter we are all familiar with.

It would be interesting if a British expat resident in Bangkok, would actually be prepared to test the information.

i.e. Submitting 12 months Thai bank statements without a BE letter.

There have been reports here of people trying that and getting rejected. Go get an embassy letter! This is new territory. People from major nations not being about to get a letter and sadly it really is premature to make any predictions with any confidence. Because the letters are still being issued and will be good for six months after that. So this grey area could last a really, really long time. How does that leave people as far as their planning? It's not rocket science. Fund the bank accounts and prepare for using seasoned bank account method IF YOU CAN. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Fund the bank accounts and prepare for using seasoned bank account method IF YOU CAN. 

Agreed, but if we are left in the situation where only 800K, or 400K respectively deposited in a Thai bank is the only option, then that becomes a major problem for many expats.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

In Bangkok?

Recently, since the announcements were made?

Not that I'm aware of. Embassy letters are still being issued. Is it possible for people to be PATIENT about this? Thai immigration may surprise us and make a definitive announcement sooner than later. Until then, just face it .. we don't know and we can't know. 

• Like 2