2018 Toyota Camry

45 minutes ago, hanssna said:

Ever thought about a wall, and a gate ??

I have both. if you look at the second picture of my car in above posts you can see, It doesn't stop or deter them. 5 dogs as well.

They either hang around outside the gate and shout out to my other half until they get a response, smiling and laughing and joking as the Isaarn people do; or they ring the mobile number constantly.

I know I am not the only one that suffers this kind of annoyance in the sticks.

a pity about the bland front end, even the TRD accessories are nothing special, they just make the car more fussy looking.

Outta interest comparing the new to the old Camry:

- The HVP is THB 64k less, 15 kgs heavier and has an extra 28 PS (not including electric motor)

- The HV   is THB 36k less, 30 kgs heavier and has an extra 18 PS (not including electric motor)

- The 2.5G is THB 10k less, 75 kgs heavier and has an extra 28 PS

- The 2.0G is THB 46k more, 40 kgs heavier and has no extra PS

i can hold off for a new car for another year, so maybe a slight update might turn up or wait for that Mazda 6!

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Slightly off topic guys but relevant.

I was toying with the idea of putting in a pool on the land as we have plenty of room.

However, we get enough ' unwanted visitors ' as it is. They come for everything. They come to sell products at the back end of the day that they haven't sold off, they come because we have a karaoke machine and a fridge full of everything,  There are local shops that SELL coke and beer, but they have to pay as opposed to our FREE stuff. They even come just to tap into our WIFI, as they don't want to pay or open 4G.

I then thought about how many extra visitors we would get with a swimming pool in the garden.

Also, then there is the maintenance of the said pool, increased electric bills, even MORE, unwanted guests, and then I had a light bulb moment...............New truck it is!

i would be thinking about moving.

18 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

1.220,000 million baht.Oyster pearl white color. All bells and whistles. Toyota 4 x4 Rocco, 2.8 AT. Keyless ignition and doors.

New purchase.

2018-10-22 15.19.09.jpg

2018-10-22 16.19.46.jpg

Every one of these things I get into seem to have bugger all head room. And I have to duck my head to clear the top of the door frame. I'm regulation 6 feet, 1.80 metres.

I don't have the same problem with my humble Vios.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Slightly off topic guys but relevant.

I was toying with the idea of putting in a pool on the land as we have plenty of room.

However, we get enough ' unwanted visitors ' as it is. They come for everything. They come to sell products at the back end of the day that they haven't sold off, they come because we have a karaoke machine and a fridge full of everything,  There are local shops that SELL coke and beer, but they have to pay as opposed to our FREE stuff. They even come just to tap into our WIFI, as they don't want to pay or open 4G.

I then thought about how many extra visitors we would get with a swimming pool in the garden.

Also, then there is the maintenance of the said pool, increased electric bills, even MORE, unwanted guests, and then I had a light bulb moment...............New truck it is!

Yes.

The definitely wont all want to pile into that when theres a temple or 'party' day 30kms away !  555

5 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Yes.

The definitely wont all want to pile into that when theres a temple or 'party' day 30kms away !  555

Hahaha,

It's worse than that. The temple, I kid you not, is 200 meters away.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Every one of these things I get into seem to have bugger all head room. And I have to duck my head to clear the top of the door frame. I'm regulation 6 feet, 1.80 metres.

I don't have the same problem with my humble Vios.

Lacessit,

I am 6' 2 " 1.89cm. I get into this easy. Also, this may be of interest. The driver's seat, which is electric, not only moves backwards and forwards, it also takes the seat higher and lower, which my old car didn't do. My other half loves this feature!

The steering column is also adjustable. I have plenty of room when I am driving, more than enough. I could see today when I got out that when I take the seat back and as low as it will go to give me maximum room, it would be a bit squashed if there was a fourth passenger sat immediately behind me.

Edited by Scouse123

7 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Hahaha,

It's worse than that. The temple, I kid you not, is 200 meters away.

Lacessit,

I am 6' 2 " 1.89cm. I get into this easy. Also, this may be of interest. The driver's seat, which is electric, not only moves backwards and forwards, it also takes the seat higher and lower, which my old car didn't do. My other half loves this feature!

The steering column is also adjustable. I have plenty of room when I am driving, more than enough. I could see today when I got out that when I take the seat back and as low as it will go to give me maximum room, it would be a bit squashed if there was a fourth passenger sat immediately behind me.

Fair enough. However, I doubt there is an seat adjustment which would accommodate my Thai GF - she's battling to see over the steering wheel of the Vios, needs a cushion under her. She would find your wheels completely intimidating.

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a better range of colours the red is a improvement (burgundy or magenta would be nicer) , but everything else is either black or white or various versions of grey. Or will there be more colours a year down the line? Do Thai people dislike a more colourful range? Sadly no chance of the V6 here. Pity overseas versions which have a bit more variety like red seats for example can't be imported by an enterprising dealer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, marquess said:

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a better range of colours the red is a improvement (burgundy or magenta would be nicer) , but everything else is either black or white or various versions of grey. Or will there be more colours a year down the line? Do Thai people dislike a more colourful range? Sadly no chance of the V6 here. Pity overseas versions which have a bit more variety like red seats for example can't be imported by an enterprising dealer.

Hopefully the red is a metallic, but it does seem to be non-metallic. Some other colours would be nice. i was surprised the red interior wasn't an option here, it would look great with the silver and black. i'd even be tempted to go red on red rather than black interior!

Edited by taichiplanet

On 10/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, watcharacters said:

I thing both Honda and Toyota are very good car makers.     I don't understand why Toyota is appreciably more dear than Honda in Thailand.     Is that common in other countries?

In USA, Camry has been the number one selling model in class for 16 years with the Accord number 2. Both are good cars. 

13 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

Hopefully the red is a metallic, but it does seem to be non-metallic. Some other colours would be nice. i was surprised the red interior wasn't an option here, it would look great with the silver and black. i'd even be tempted to go red on red rather than black interior!

Red is the worst possible colour to buy, it fades. That's what a paint chemist told me. If one looks at any older red vehicle, there are very few that look pristine. White is the best colour for this climate, along with durability.

• Like 2

looks like the there is a white (cream?) interior for all the models with Graphite Metallic paint and Phantom Brown paint. Also for the HV Premium Burning Black Crystal. The rest seem to get black.  I am wondering whether the Graphite Metallic is like a Gunmetal (Dark Gray) rather than the Brown that comes up on the website?

interior-20g-white.png.97f19d47b3fd91522dbca9c97688beef.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

A visit to the Camry premiere today and got a test drive. Very impressed, I have a six year old Camry and this new model has loads of bells and whistles for a price not much greater than what I paid. Very tempting. 

which model do you have now?

10 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

A visit to the Camry premiere today and got a test drive. Very impressed, I have a six year old Camry and this new model has loads of bells and whistles for a price not much greater than what I paid. Very tempting. 

Good for You Bob, nice to hear from someone who Walks the Walk at last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

which model do you have now?

2013 2.5G, which is my first choice if I buy again. All models have wireless phone charging and moonroofs (except 2.0G).  Lots of thoughtful touches, rear sun shades, USB ports in the rear, memory power seats, etc. I know, a moonroof in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaiBob said:

2013 2.5G, which is my first choice if I buy again. All models have wireless phone charging and moonroofs (except 2.0G).  Lots of thoughtful touches, rear sun shades, USB ports in the rear, memory power seats, etc. I know, a moonroof in Thailand. 

The top spec hybrid has all the kit, and only have 4% excise tax. I would more likely consider the 2.5 petrol version - it's missing some nice stuff like the ventilated seats and reclined rear seat, but then don't have to worry about the battery post 10 years if one wants to keep the car after that time. Still don't get the lack of apple car play / android auto, and only the top spec has navigation which I find a letdown. There may also be an Esport version coming - perhaps it will have the front bumper from the US version which is nicer and sportier to me. According to some reports, the steering and suspension are the two things most improved over the previous camry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I had the first batch TRD Sportivo, Bloody disaster handling and gizmo wise. Headlights like Halloween Pumkins , or blinded everyone, Gps not working, never was right, lots of other silly things, dumped it in 6 months, they better now though.

Your talking of a lump over 12 years ago how can you compare that with a modern day lumps??? First off Tuna's also didn't have GPS fitted as standard then, so how it didn't work Buddha only knows. If you are going to put stupid post in at least get your facts correct.   

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Your talking of a lump over 12 years ago how can you compare that with a modern day lumps??? First off Tuna's also didn't have GPS fitted as standard then, so how it didn't work Buddha only knows. If you are going to put stupid post in at least get your facts correct.   

It did come with GPS, get your facts right.

29 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

It did come with GPS, get your facts right.

I had a second edition TRD Tuna and they didn't have a GPS fitted as standard either. Both had after market ones if you wanted them. Cost was around 20th BHT. I think it's You that should get your facts correct. (LOOK IT UP)

Question if you know so much about the Early Tuna how did you change the DVD. It would be interesting to know if you know what your talking about. As they were not the same as most lumps DVD.

Edited by fredob43

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I had a second edition TRD Tuna and they didn't have a GPS fitted as standard either. Both had after market ones if you wanted them. Cost was around 20th BHT. I think it's You that should get your facts correct. (LOOK IT UP)

Did i say it wasnt a Toyo Extra. I should have said it was a stupid Cost too. Clearly stated fact. It came with GPS that wasnt commissioned on delivery, or worked after. Very overpriced and outdated it is too these days

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Did i say it wasnt a Toyo Extra. I should have said it was a stupid Cost too. Clearly stated fact. It came with GPS that wasnt commissioned on delivery, or worked after. Very overpriced and outdated it is too these days

It the GPS worked fine if you know what you were doing. Much easier than the new set up.

Come on then how did you change the DVD If you don't know that I still say you don't know what your talking about. I'll give you a clue it was very different from all other lumps or any new ones. They you just press a button and out popped the DVD the early ones a complete one off.

By the way you said (look it up) that it did come with a GPS wish you would make your mind? up.

Edited by fredob43
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

The top spec hybrid has all the kit, and only have 4% excise tax. I would more likely consider the 2.5 petrol version - it's missing some nice stuff like the ventilated seats and reclined rear seat, but then don't have to worry about the battery post 10 years if one wants to keep the car after that time. Still don't get the lack of apple car play / android auto, and only the top spec has navigation which I find a letdown. There may also be an Esport version coming - perhaps it will have the front bumper from the US version which is nicer and sportier to me. According to some reports, the steering and suspension are the two things most improved over the previous camry. 

a friend has the Hybrid Premium and had to replace the batteries after 5 years. i can't remember exactly but i think it was about THB 10k for new ones. If that is the case and the service is no more extra then quite a bit of savings in fuel costs. i have driven it a few times and it does get up and go when you floor it, but i am used to driving a Jazz! ???? The thing that worries me about owning a Hybrid is that i will probably keep forgetting to turn the thing off!

Good to know about the improved suspension. Hopefully they will bring the nicer front end in but no doubt the after market guys will be making one.

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

a friend has the Hybrid Premium and had to replace the batteries after 5 years. i can't remember exactly but i think it was about THB 10k for new ones. If that is the case and the service is no more extra then quite a bit of savings in fuel costs. i have driven it a few times and it does get up and go when you floor it, but i am used to driving a Jazz! ???? The thing that worries me about owning a Hybrid is that i will probably keep forgetting to turn the thing off!

Good to know about the improved suspension. Hopefully they will bring the nicer front end in but no doubt the after market guys will be making one.

10K baht for the hybrid batteries?? In the US, these batteries are over 5000US dollars. Perhaps he meant the regular batteries that all cars have?

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

10K baht for the hybrid batteries?? In the US, these batteries are over 5000US dollars. Perhaps he meant the regular batteries that all cars have?

i think you are correct. A new factory is being built in Thailand which may (or may not) make them cheaper still when it starts in 2020.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/04/10/business/toyota-begin-battery-production-hybrid-cars-thailand-2020/#.W97nHuJoRPY

Seems Merc, BMW, Honda and Nissan are also looking at opening battery making factories in Thailand as well.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Trends/Automakers-rev-up-Thai-battery-plants-as-electric-takes-off

https://www.electrive.com/2018/07/26/nissan-and-honda-to-build-hybrids-and-batteries-in-thailand/

There is also a good article in the business section of 'the newspaper that shall not be linked' (BkkPost) titled "Toyota Unhurried on Batteries" on 12th July 2018

As more Hybrid get sold maybe the prices for the hybrid batteries will start to come down. Though hard to know if will effect resale value (especially if close to or over the warranty for the batteries), if you buy a car tomorrow and then sell in 6 years time, the cost and technology may have changed significantly.