Bangkok Bank Offering a Mastercard "Debit" Card Beginning 5 Nov 18

26 minutes ago, pontious said:

It is confusing - some say the Visa card is good to expiry date.

The website says 2019 [ but not 1 Jan 19 or 31 Dec 19. ]

I have phoned three times  and got 3 different answers. ????

I think their original intention was to make them invalid earlier this year, but like me nobody with a VISA card would trade it in for a UnionPay card. So they got scared, and didn't cancel the VISA, then did a new deal with Mastercard.

People power in action!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pontious said:

It is confusing - some say the Visa card is good to expiry date.

The website says 2019 [ but not 1 Jan 19 or 31 Dec 19. ]

I have phoned three times  and got 3 different answers. ????

I sure don't know the correct answer.

The website statement "use" to refer to only the "non-chipped" Visa debit card regarding the card dying sometime in 2019.  And I pretty sure that was because the Bank of Thailand told all Thai banks to get all of their "non-chipped" cards changed to chipped cards by then.  Then one day about a year ago the Bangkok Bank website working changed to say/imply all Visa debit cards, chipped or non-chipped.

With the Mastercard debit card becoming available it's  generally a non-issue now "unless you are out of Thailand/can't visit a branch" to get a new debit card when the Visa debit card actually dies--and that can definitely be an issue.   I know a lot of expats don't live Thailand full time...might be gone for years and they are using the debit card while outside Thailand...probably best for those folks to get a Mastercard when in Thailand again even if their Visa card still has long time before the expiration---play it safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, pontious said:

Can you get two new  MC for a joint account?

I tried to get SMS alerts only to find out you cannot with a joint account.

PS thanks PIB- good news.

Sure....each joint account owner can get a card.  The wife and I both have cards on our joint Bangkok Bank account.  But with Bangkok Bank....probably other Thai banks also....you can not have SMS Alert service on a joint account....must be a Thailand thing.   

Now you can still get certain SMS Alerts on joint accounts like the Free SMS Remittance Alert for incoming international transfers, but signup of that requires you to submit a simple form at your branch.  I have that on my joint and single Bangkok Bank accounts. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've still got a Be1st VISA no chip, and it still works, valid until 12/22 stamped on it.

I was resisting the UnionPay, but I guess I'll go for the Mastercard if they force it.

I would definitely get a chipped card; the old non-chip cards (a.k.a., magnetic strip cards)  are easily skimmed letting bad guys liberate your money.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

I sure don't know the correct answer.

The website statement "use" to refer to only the "non-chipped" Visa debit card regarding the card dying sometime in 2019.  And I pretty sure that was because the Bank of Thailand told all Thai banks to get all of their "non-chipped" cards changed to chipped cards by then.  Then one day about a year ago the Bangkok Bank website working changed to say/imply all Visa debit cards, chipped or non-chipped.

With the Mastercard debit card becoming available it's  generally a non-issue now "unless you are out of Thailand/can't visit a branch" to get a new debit card when the Visa debit card actually dies--and that can definitely be an issue.   I know a lot of expats don't live Thailand full time...might be gone for years and they are using the debit card while outside Thailand...probably best for those folks to get a Mastercard when in Thailand again even if their Visa card still has long time before the expiration---play it safe.

I have a BB B1st Visa card that is valid till 07/22, the manger at the bank told me last month this card will be taken out of service at the end of this year.

I have just applied for a credit card and that took a bit of messing around with all the requested requirements.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

I have a BB B1st Visa card that is valid till 07/22, the manger at the bank told me last month this card will be taken out of service at the end of this year.

I have just applied for a credit card and that took a bit of messing around with all the requested requirements.

Unless you want a credit card [ not really a credit card in Thailand ] I would cancel it and go for the MC.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect all of you UnionPay debit card holders to be standing at a your branch's doors at opening time 5 Nov/Monday morning to turn in your UnionPay card and get a Mastercard. 

I'm just fine with the Union Pay card.  But then I don't tend to follow the bleating herds.

• Haha 1

I replaced my be first debit visa with a chipped version for safety reasons, they gave me the union pay card telling me it was all they were dealing with(18 months ago) but it would not work on any of my overseas account etc so I went to a different branch and they got me the chipped visa card in its place. Knowing they were going to drop the visa card for union pay I opened another account in the govt bank ready for when they closed down the visa card but if they are going to offer a master card now I will keep my Bangkok Bank account as well, glad to see common sense showed through, maybe many customers like me told them they would close their accounts if they only offered the union pay card

• Like 2

A couple of days ago I ran into Sombat at Bangkok Bank at the Kad Suan Kaew branch in CM. He mentioned a new card coming soon. 555 a couple of days is fast.

I had mentioned to him a few months prior that after getting the Union Pay card and to use it online I had been asked to 'install software on my computer' at times. No thanks. So I told him I had opened up an SCB account for online shopping.

I'll get the new card as I like to have a Plan B in all of my affairs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

I'm just fine with the Union Pay card.  But then I don't tend to follow the bleating herds.

I found Union Pay doesnt work in other countries where the ATM displays the logo. Burkina Faso in West Africa accepted the card but wouldnt give me any money, in Irkutsk, Russia the manager explained to me the card is encoded with region numbers. Bit like international country phone identification number +66  say for Thailand. So he checked my card and said the Russian code is not in the chip, wont work. ????

• Thanks 2

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but what are the benefits (especially travelling overseas) of exchanging my current Be 1st Union Pay,  chipped, Debit card for the MC chipped Debit card?

Can the new MC debit card be used to say pay an overseas hotel bill or shopping or buy an airline ticket?

Many thanks

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Sorry if I'm a little slow, but what are the benefits (especially travelling overseas) of exchanging my current Be 1st Union Pay,  chipped, Debit card for the MC chipped Debit card?

Can the new MC debit card be used to say pay an overseas hotel bill or shopping or buy an airline ticket?

Many thanks

UnionPay is not as widely accepted as Mastercard and Visa, inside and outside of Thailand.  The main reason the UnionPay card generated so much negative feedback is because many merchants do not accept it yet. 

Ignore what the UnionPay website says about accepted in almost every country.  Although that is true statement it is greatly misleading because it may not be accepted by many merchants in those countries.  It's low acceptance by many merchants in Thailand is why it has got so many negative comments on ThaiVisa and many Bangkok Bank customers.  

And this negative feedback from Bangkok Bank customers (to include account closures) is surely causing Bangkok Bank to begin offering the Mastercard debit card because Mastercard (and Visa) are truly widely accepted by most merchants in almost every country.

Now when it comes to use of the UnionPay debit card to get money from an ATM that's a non-issue in Thailand and probably most countries....it's just many merchants do not yet accept UnionPay in Thailand.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 5:47 PM, BritManToo said:

I think their original intention was to make them invalid earlier this year, but like me nobody with a VISA card would trade it in for a UnionPay card. So they got scared, and didn't cancel the VISA, then did a new deal with Mastercard.

People power in action!

I switched banks have 50 baht in BKK. Now l will get MasterCard and out some cash there. It surely hurt them with that UNION joke

• Like 1

Always keep in mind, that you're dealing with idiots!

It doesn't matter which Bank. 

You'll find yourself happy to get a service, if the cell phone, or squashing pimples isn't more important at the moment.

If you've got the "Service" (!): They're acting so important, because they're working in an AC office and wearing a "plastic" costume that doesn't really fit.

They usually don't know anything, but asking you for your passport and perhaps a CV, your fingerprints and some signed copies of "Whatever".

Just to tell you after 30 minutes waiting time,

that you've to go to the branch, where you opened the account, maybe 10 years ago, on the other edge of the country!

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Haha 1