CC processing fees Air Asia

DrPhibes

So, we have been making our normal Nov-Dec flights from CNX to visit friends, the islands, etc... all within Thailand.  All but one flight was booked through Air Asia (only carrier on one flight) using out of country credit cards.  The processing fees now being charged by Air Asia for using a credit card were crazy!  Where Nok Air charged us a 6% fee for using CC, Thai Air Asia was 10-20%, yes, 20% on a lower than normal flight cost from Don Muang to Phuket.  Anyone else seeing these numbers?  Anyway to get around this aside from signing up for their crazy credit cards?  Sorry to rant a bit but, wow!

Just did a test booking up to payment using German issued VISA.

Price 2954, fee 128.40.

That's 4.3 %.

Still too much and easy to avoid if you live in Thailand as described in previous post.

Now you would have to state what CC you want to use and from what country?

ccfee.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just did a test booking up to payment using German issued VISA.

Price 2954, fee 128.40.

That's 4.3 %.

Still too much and easy to avoid if you live in Thailand as described in previous post.

Now you would have to state what CC you want to use and from what country?

ccfee.jpg

Is that a mobile app or something different? Apple? Doesn't look anything like my mobile app payment page or what I use on Chrome. Firefox, etc.

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

About 40Baht at 7/11, all completed in 1 minute. (If your in Thailand of course.)

I believe if you select 'internet banking via direct debit', it is also charged at 40 baht. That's cheaper than using cc.

So why go to 711 to pay when you have to pay petrol costs too.

Do other airlines charge for paying? LOL

Edited by EricTh

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I just saw this thread that Thai Smile airways don't charge any fees.

I didn't know Thai Smile exists.

I know them since they exist.

But there is a simple reason: they followed Thai Airways as the only airline providing flights from Khon Kaen to Suvarnabhumi.

Nobody knows them?

That happens when you advertise all incl. prices.

You land on the lower part of the price lists.

I am afraid sooner or later they will have to follow the trend.

22 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I know them since they exist.

But there is a simple reason: they followed Thai Airways as the only airline providing flights from Khon Kaen to Suvarnabhumi.

Nobody knows them?

That happens when you advertise all incl. prices.

You land on the lower part of the price lists.

I am afraid sooner or later they will have to follow the trend.

I've never flown Thai Smile, mainly because I made a decision years back to personally boycott TG, mostly because of their poor, rude and arrogant cabin service (passengers being: my Thai family, my Thai staff and myself) and often meaning business class. And never one response to several complaints lodged by the travelling Thai staff and on approaching on board purser, and on one occasion with 2 of my Thai staff approaching Thai nationality manager at arrival (3 hours late) in Tokyo who quickly said to my Thai staff member 'not my problem' and quickly disappeared. And many more totally unacceptable incidents.

I read somewhere that Thai Smile cabin crew are all long-term staff moved across from TG. Any members know about this?

Edited by scorecard

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I read somewhere that Thai Smile cabin crew are all moved across from TG. Any members know about this?

I doubt it and even if:

All young friendly staff, mostly female.

Never rude, unfriendly.

Usually much less crowding at the check-in compared to AirAsia or Nok.

Remember they started mainly as a domestic carrier now slowly expanding to the Asian region.

Fairly new (4.9 yr average, oldest 6.4 yr) all A320 fleet.

No comparison to the the TG dino.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

I booked flights on Air Asia a week ago using SCB atm / debit card which is Mastercard system and was charged a fee.

I just checked with the wife as she always pays for the airline tickets. She has SCB Visa. It even has the AIr Asia logo on the credit card. No service charge at all for buying tickets. She said she applied for the card at the Suvarnabhumi Airport branch if that helps. She said Bangkok Bank has the same card. No service charge (and some perks).

Edited by elektrified

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

I believe if you select 'internet banking via direct debit', it is also charged at 40 baht. That's cheaper than using cc.

So why go to 711 to pay when you have to pay petrol costs too.

Do other airlines charge for paying? LOL

7 min walk (and I could use the exercise!) from my house.  Will use this process next time.  Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

One could book through a 3rd party like Skyscanner, etc.

never a good idea. Trying to make changes to a 3rd party ticket is a nightmare as they are always based in east Europe somewhere and unlikely to pick up a phone and very limited English