Farang washing cars to make a living - says he's making 6,000 baht a day!

webfact

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Maybe the reporter just rounded it off?

I was just about to say you were correct and the article does indeed say in the kids free time......buy your observation on my post seems to have been removed.

I do think that this guy is extremely stupid to raise his head above the parapet and declare he is working at his wife's carwash. Don't know if there is a sliding scale of minimum wage for kids in Thailand. There is in the UK and you are right, B300/day for kids in their free time is great. Labourers here earn B350/day.

7 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

And you were the one who quoted the Australian limits! I merely worked it out according to the headline and indicated that he was still beyond YOUR figures. If you don't like being corrected don't make statements in the first place.

You worked it out using your own particular formula that doesn't take in many other variables, and also assumed that he was getting an even share of the proceeds. All I said was what he roughly was allowed to earn, whether he exceeds that or not is pure conjecture. The amounts I quoted aren't open to conjecture they can be verified on Centrelink's website..

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

No, corporations employ people and pay tax. Pensioners are a revenue drain.

i invest in corporations, my dividends are fully franked and because I deregistered with the ATO for taxation purposes, I dont pay any capital gains tax either.

Which is a relief, because otherwise my taxes would be wasted on pensioners playing pokies down the pub.

There are lifters and leaners. Corporations are lifters, pensioners are leaners.

You say you don’t  pay tax in the above post. In post # 35 you state, “Then put their hands out for taxpayers (my) money, which offends me.

Would make one think that little Peter1980 is making up little porkie pies about his wealth. 

Good on you William Pearl, 70 and still able to do a bit of graft. I take my hat off to you sir and hope all this turns out ok for you. 

• Like 1

calling him an australian 'welfare cheat' --is utter nonsense.

im sure he paid taxes for many years in aust. before he retired.

a pension is NOT  a handout....recipients contribute to it for more than 40yrs.

in NZ  - i have to be a resident of nz , for 45yrs, before i can receive my full entitlement-overseas.

its a pittance.

i still pay income tax in nz, on my other income. that tax , far excedes the pension that i receive..

nethertherless, i think he is foolish, advertising that he is working in thailand.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You worked it out using your own particular formula that doesn't take in many other variables, and also assumed that he was getting an even share of the proceeds. All I said was what he roughly was allowed to earn, whether he exceeds that or not is pure conjecture. The amounts I quoted aren't open to conjecture they can be verified on Centrelink's website..

You obviously have a crystal ball to know what the other variables are and what the Australian rules are was is not in dispute. So you are quoting out of context. And you think that dividing by 4 in no way goes towards any of those variables you mentioned. Even dividing by 6 ( for six unknown variables) he would still be over your quoted limits. If six unknown variables is not enough for you then you (he receives 1/6) then I suggest you tell the OP not to make such inflated headlines in the future.

Edited by TKDfella

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I think you may have your arithmetic a little muddled. It is 20 cars per day at an average price of 300 Baht per car.

(Of course revenue does not equate to profit. They are two very different things.)

???????????????? I only pay 150 baht for full valet!! Buy 10 get 1 free..

Personally, I have no qualms with expats making a little bit extra here and there. I did myself when I taught martial arts though I did consult immigration (and the local gov. office) first and they gave me permission. Since I was not actually receiving money (parents donated refreshment for me) I don't think the authorities were too bothered. But this did change after a few years when old rules had to be rigorously followed so I stopped. I was teaching only as irregular visiting master to my students own gym. I say all this because if one just goes ahead and earn some extra money without consulting the appropriate dept. it could mean problems. I hope this chap does seek official advice if he hasn't already done so.

Edited by TKDfella

6 minutes ago, murraynz said:

calling him an australian 'welfare cheat' --is utter nonsense.

im sure he paid taxes for many years in aust. before he retired.

a pension is NOT  a handout....recipients contribute to it for more than 40yrs.

in NZ  - i have to be a resident of nz , for 45yrs, before i can receive my full entitlement-overseas.

its a pittance.

i still pay income tax in nz, on my other income. that tax , far excedes the pension that i receive..

nethertherless, i think he is foolish, advertising that he is working in thailand.

Recipient do not contribute to it if they are Ozzie. Please get your facts straight. Why should an Ozzie tax payer have some of their taxes go to supporting people who did not put money away during their working life but blew it instead so they could bludge on future generations of tax payers to support them . I went without a bit to put some money aside for my old age and get no OAP. In England you have always had your stamps, Oz only implemented comp. super. a few years ago. Besides, we need all the money we can get to support the dole bludgers,druggies, immigrants etc. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Once again you assume he's getting an aged pension, maybe like me he only gets a part pension because of savings/investments etc. You're too quick to judge his circumstances.

Yeah, readers outside 'the system' may probably not know about the 'Deemed Income' concept used by the DSH dept. 

26 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

You obviously have a crystal ball to know what the other variables are and what the Australian rules are was is not in dispute. So you are quoting out of context. And you think that dividing by 4 in no way goes towards any of those variables you mentioned. Even dividing by 6 ( for six unknown variables) he would still be over your quoted limits. If six unknown variables is not enough for you then you (he receives 1/6) then I suggest you tell the OP not to make such inflated headlines in the future.

As to him cheating the tax man, you are all so off beam. His wife has a business and he helps out, for free. That does not affect his OAP. 

• Like 2