Thai student's Facebook business netted millions in fake driving licence scam

webfact

Thai student's Facebook business netted millions in fake driving licence scam

10pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Crime suppression division police and Department of Land Transport officials announced the arrest of a 20 year old student on Tuesday who was running a business producing fake Thai driving licences. 

He was charging around 2,000 baht a time for the copies and turning over ten million baht before he was arrested.

He was named as Phuttipong Tripetchsirikun from Sathorn in the capital. He is a first year student at Bangkok University. 

He was caught in possession of a great deal of incriminating evidence.

This included the electronic means to make the fake cards.

He also had in his possession 6 Rolex watches worth 2 million baht and 700,000 baht in cash. 

He was using Facebook to promote his thriving business. 

Thaivisa notes that Thai driving licences are not just used on the roads. They are generally trusted as a valid form of ID in the country for a large range of matters. 

Phuttipong is facing charges of fraud. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-14

"Thaivisa notes that Thai driving licences are not just used on the roads. They are generally trusted as a valid form of ID in the country for a large range of matters" ... since when? I have tried many times, without success, to use my Thai Driving License as a means of identity. All I get is "we need your Passport".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, rtco said:

"Thaivisa notes that Thai driving licences are not just used on the roads. They are generally trusted as a valid form of ID in the country for a large range of matters" ... since when? I have tried many times, without success, to use my Thai Driving License as a means of identity. All I get is "we need your Passport".

I use it all the time in Bangkok and it works just fine.

• Like 2

The kid has a future in business here in Thailand. The funny thing is it just takes two days and almost no effort/ability and a few hundred baht. A bit of a pain in the rear but legitimate. 

On 11/14/2018 at 3:26 PM, rtco said:

That's because everyone here makes up their own rules. That means they don't have to bother actually learning what the rules are. It might also be because you are a foreigner and in their eyes your Thai driving license is not the same as a Thai person's Thai driving license. Just another way they discriminate against 'aliens' in Thailand. Of course your license is valid ID, but because you are not Thai they refuse to accept it as such.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 9 months later...

those of us who, have got a thai licence will know what an absolute  joke the process is, years ago i went to get a mortorcycle licence, (bike rider/car driver more years than i care to remember) Thais asleep, chatting on their phone when the safety film was on, get 3 chances on the tests, so can have 2 accidents i presume, i came away with a car licence as well, ?? 

On 11/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

That's because everyone here makes up their own rules. That means they don't have to bother actually learning what the rules are. It might also be because you are a foreigner and in their eyes your Thai driving license is not the same as a Thai person's Thai driving license. Just another way they discriminate against 'aliens' in Thailand. Of course your license is valid ID, but because you are not Thai they refuse to accept it as such.

Aren't foreigners required by law to produce their passport (that contains visa details) if required?  I'm pretty sure you'll find that Thais aren't.