How much do you think Thai Banks will love no more income letters

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

In my passing I will do anything to ease the way for my family here... which means legal will, POA and access to bank accounts...

POA doesnt operate after the person dies, it ends with the person passing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

You just take it out the day before!

not as easy as it sounds... if in your name they need POA... and the day before? That is sort of like toast till it burns then 10 seconds less... and besides, they may need it to pay medical bills.. but that is the basic spirit of it... get the $$ before the end.

as i understand, you really need the will.  as noted by another, the account can be frozen upon your death.  i've been looking into this and got quotes ranging from 40,000thb to 5,000thb.  i told the firm with the 40,000thb quote that i was only listing two bank accounts, nothing complex.  but they stuck to their price.  so i'm now working with the person who quoted 5,000thb.  i'm trying to determine who i should use as an executor as i don't want the beneficiary to know they are getting the money upon my death.  if i wanted them to know, i'd have the executor and beneficiary as the same person.  unfortunately, you can't just list a beneficiary name with your bank (like i do in USA).  i was also told i could do the will myself, get it translated, and file it with my local amphur for a cost of 15thb (not counting the cost to translate). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buick said:

as i understand, you really need the will.  as noted by another, the account can be frozen upon your death.  i've been looking into this and got quotes ranging from 40,000thb to 5,000thb.  i told the firm with the 40,000thb quote that i was only listing two bank accounts, nothing complex.  but they stuck to their price.  so i'm now working with the person who quoted 5,000thb.  i'm trying to determine who i should use as an executor as i don't want the beneficiary to know they are getting the money upon my death.  if i wanted them to know, i'd have the executor and beneficiary as the same person.  unfortunately, you can't just list a beneficiary name with your bank (like i do in USA).  i was also told i could do the will myself, get it translated, and file it with my local amphur for a cost of 15thb (not counting the cost to translate). 

Thank you Sir..for an intelligent response

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bikerlou47 said:

Nothing like changing the topic!

Seems on-topic to me. A suggestion as to how to solve the problem was made, and I pointed out a common potential downside to that suggestion.

For what it's worth, that suggestion would be how I would do it also.

Another option would be to have the family member listed as an official signatory, which should be possible with most Thai banks. There was a very recent topic about this.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

No need for any stress....Just give your wife/girlfriend/son/daughter/brother etc a ATM card and they can draw the 800,000 out a little each day...

It is possible to withdraw the entire 800k in one day with an ATM card.

The KBank maximum limits (unless they have increased recently) are 200K/day for cash withdrawals and 1M/day for transfer to other accounts. SCB has similar limits. I don't recall for BKK Bank but would imagine they are also at a similar level.

17 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

My account is with Bangkok Bank. The account is in my name and my name only. At  Bangkok Bank I signed that account over to my wife when I go to the BBQ. All she has to do is present the BBQ certificate to the Bangkok Bank and that account is hers. No lawyer is needed.

Maybe because it is your wife? I will check with Bangkok Bank to see if I can do the same..thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

correct.. I think. The POA would give access to bank account before, the Will for after... 

If the POA nominates one person, and the will nominates another person as the executor, the executor takes over when the person dies. My will leaves the assets in Thailand to my Thai GF, and the assets in Australia to my son. They are joint executors. Three wills actually - Thai language, translation, and Australian will. They all state the same thing.

6 hours ago, buick said:

My BIL, being a PP, so he should know, said a will in English plus a translation in Thai by a known translator filed with the amphur and tessabaan is the best way to go.

Also what to do with your remains can also be described into that will.

Tell your Embassy what you want to be done with your remains and who you designated to dispose of you.

Last thing to speed things up, a delay by finding your relatives back home can be an unpleasant wait.