Thailand's Tourism Ministry admits Chinese visitors down nearly 20% in October

webfact

Tourism Ministry admits Chinese visitors down nearly 20% in October

4pmn.jpg

Picture: Bangkokbiznews

Thailand's Ministry of Tourism and Sport has admitted that Chinese tourist visitors to Thailand fell by 19.8% in October compared to the same month last year. 

And spending by Chinese tourists was down 16.59% as well.

Announcing the figures representative  Pongphanu Sawetrun said that this contributed to a drop in overall tourism revenue of 0.51% in October compared to October last year. 

Bangkokbiznews reported that visitors from China still made up the largest slice of tourists coming to Thailand - they were followed by those from Malaysia, Laos, Korea, Japan, India, Russia, the US, Cambodia and Sinapore respectively. 

In terms of geographical locations most tourists came from East Asia followed by Europe, South Asia, the US, Oceania, Middle East and Africa. 

Visitors spent 14,060.57 million baht that represented a 0.66% increase overall. 

Those spending the most money were (in order of the most) from: China, Malaysia, Russia, the US, Japan, Korea, the UK, Australia, Laos and India. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-23
  • Haha 1

I guess it doesn't help that Thai consulates in Europe make it more difficult to get visas. In Switzerland, for example, neither the Thai Embassy nor any of the three consulates (Basel, Geneva, Zurich) now accept applications by mail. Zurich has stopped issuing visas altogether.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Those spending the most money were (in order of the most) from: China, Malaysia, Russia, the US, Japan, Korea, the UK, Australia, Laos and India."

How would this be determined?

Exchange of currency.

Whether it's in the bank,ATM or exchange outlets it's all recorded at the foreign exchange

Edited by Percy P
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Visitors spent 14,060.57 million baht that represented a 0.66% increase overall. 

Coming up with a pretty exact figure such as this makes the amount less believable than if they had stated approximately 14 billion baht. 

Especially as in an earlier paragraph they stated that tourism revenue was down by 0.51%.

I do believe their arrival figures, accepting they would include visa runners and frequent border crossers but whenever I see the revenue figures I wonder how on earth they are calculated: take last year's figure and add a bit seems to be the methodology to me.