Where to live

fin5prtw

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Bangkok next year with my husband (Thai) and daughter (1-year-old). We've lived in quiet rural areas of Southern Thailand for the past 8 years, so it'll be a big change for us! We don't know Bangkok terribly well so I'm starting to research our options. We're not sure if we want to live in a townhouse or a condo, so any advice regarding that would be great. I will be working near BTS Ekkamai, so we would like somewhere either within walking distance of that or not too much of a commute somewhere along the Sukhumvit Line. We prefer a 'real Thai' neighbourhood, and preferably somewhere not too noisy, we don't need bars, just a few local shops or a market within easy reach. We also have a car so we need to consider that, although I won't be driving to work as I hear it's a nightmare parking around the area that I will be working! So yes, any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance ????

Phoebe  

There are 1000's of places and you never gave a price range.

More expensive busy will be going toward Siam and more Falang.

Cheaper less bars and noise and more Thais will be the other way toward Udom Suk. 

I would search online there are so many places new and old.

• Like 1

Oh yes! I forgot to include my budget! I'm trying to keep my expenditure quite low for now, so preferably around 8k per month, but I'm willing to go anywhere up to 15k per month for a decent property/location etc. 

I've been searching online, but I'm not sure what areas are best.. I'll have a look at a map and follow your suggestion, thanks ???? 

• Haha 2

you might consider renting near your place of work for a few months (at the low cost of 8,000thb) and then take a look around for where/what you really want during those few months.

there have been reports of long waits to board the BTS (sukhumvit line) at stations closer in (where you'll be working) so you might be better off further out so you can board easily. 

there are housing tracts/moobaans where you can likely rent a house for your budget if you go towards the end of the sukhumvit line (towards samut prakan).

• Like 1

I agree with Lamyai 13. I just did some light research on this topic and was offered quite a nice new condo for about 8k. Far away on the Sukhumvit line. I used both Facebook and Craigslist to contact brokers. Since I am not working I opted to move to Hua Hin instead.

• Like 2

You are not too far into town to consider places out by Hua Mak....some of the moo bans there you will easily find a two bed place for 8k Baht.....really easy commute as well by bus or car for peanuts in the case of the bus....think its 13 Baht.

• Like 1

How big should the place be? For 15k you don't get much close to the BTS and not too far from Ekkamai. For example a 35sqm 1 bedroom condo near BTS On Nut costs something like 12 or 13k, but i think that's too small for 3 people

Edited by jackdd

The residential area between Sukhumvit soi 63 (Ekkamai) and Sukhumvit 71 (Soi Pridi Banomyong) Phra Khanong is a relatively dense area with a mix of older condos popular with japanese and modest Thai houses.  The closer to Suk. 71, the lower the rent.  There are a huge variety of restaurants,  cafes and shops in the area.  Houses and condos for relatively reasonable rents can be found there but it will take an effort riding around, looking for signs.  I also know of a area of older townhouses off Suk 71 that are spacious and reasonable.  PM me if you want details.

If you look for a typical Thai area maybe you should ask on a forum with lots of Thais and not lots of farangs...

Around Ekkamai there are lots of small sois between Ekkamai and Para Khanong. I visited once a family in that area and at that time it looked to me like a typical Thai area. Not many foreigners and near to your work.

But that was years ago, maybe that area changed.

Personally I think it's a good idea to live somewhere near work. I hear so often from people that they spend every day hours in traffic and/or lots of time in the totally crowded BTS. Is this what you want?

Personally I think paying more money to avoid wasted travel time everyday is a good idea in many ways.