The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Stones was never gonna be good enough to replace Vinny

Stones hardly gets mentioned anymore. You have to think his time at City will come to an end sooner than later. That's a boatload of $ wasted on the likes of he and Mangala.

I'd like to think City can catch up to Liverpool soon, but I ain't optimistic. Compared to Liverpool City have a lot of holes to fill. They have ONE decent centre-back, two only half good fullbacks (and I'm including brain dead Mendy), some decent midfielders (but arguably the best one is leaving), one great striker who is 32 and coming off knee surgery. Ederson is a very good keeper. Maybe Jesus will explode as a striker but that is far from certain. Sterling is having a poor second half of the season. And to top it off, arguably the most direct and dangerous winger is heading to Bayern. We still have KDB.

So add all that up and throw in the big joker of a one or two year kick in the ass from the powers that be.

Anyhow, I'm up for a conversation about all this. Unless City get lucky with the off the pitch mess and make some genius personnel moves I think we are a fair distance from Liverpool.

13 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Anyhow, I'm up for a conversation about all this. Unless City get lucky with the off the pitch mess and make some genius personnel moves I think we are a fair distance from Liverpool.

It's funny... in your comprehensive audit you forgot to mention your most important asset. It's far from certain he will stay... but if he does, I think you will still be in the hunt for major honours.

No, I'm not talking about Claudio Bravo! 

7 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Stones hardly gets mentioned anymore. You have to think his time at City will come to an end sooner than later. That's a boatload of $ wasted on the likes of he and Mangala.

I'd like to think City can catch up to Liverpool soon, but I ain't optimistic. Compared to Liverpool City have a lot of holes to fill. They have ONE decent centre-back, two only half good fullbacks (and I'm including brain dead Mendy), some decent midfielders (but arguably the best one is leaving), one great striker who is 32 and coming off knee surgery. Ederson is a very good keeper. Maybe Jesus will explode as a striker but that is far from certain. Sterling is having a poor second half of the season. And to top it off, arguably the most direct and dangerous winger is heading to Bayern. We still have KDB.

So add all that up and throw in the big joker of a one or two year kick in the ass from the powers that be.

Think you're being overly pessimistic mate. In Foden you have a perfect replacement for Silva, and no doubt will be spending a lot this summer. Koulibaly is one you should go for. Keep De Bruyne and the rest of your squad and I'm sure you'll be thereabouts. I share your concerns about Jesus but your biggest worry is the Champions League issue. Get away without a ban and you'll be fine.

1 minute ago, wilai said:

Think you're being overly pessimistic mate. In Foden you have a perfect replacement for Silva, and no doubt will be spending a lot this summer. Koulibaly is one you should go for. Keep De Bruyne and the rest of your squad and I'm sure you'll be thereabouts. I share your concerns about Jesus but your biggest worry is the Champions League issue. Get away without a ban and you'll be fine.

But lose the manager and they really can forget about it. 

1 minute ago, wilai said:

Crikey! I forgot about Foden! Indeed, he will be a jewel. Maybe you're right Wilai, and maybe I'm overly pessimistic. Looking at your manager and your squad and it's easy to get negative! I will say that defensively your lot are much better than City. Funny how things have changed.

11 hours ago, jellydog said:

Crikey! I forgot about Foden! Indeed, he will be a jewel. Maybe you're right Wilai, and maybe I'm overly pessimistic. Looking at your manager and your squad and it's easy to get negative! I will say that defensively your lot are much better than City. Funny how things have changed.

Do not fear Jelly my friend. Retaining the title is hard enough and retaining it again is harder still. This year I think we lacked some of the hunger but a couple of fresh faces and we'll be back

29 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Couldn't read it as it needs subscription. I'll let it slide that he started off talking about the Riverdance ???? but it would not surprise me if the stats show that teams who press the most commit most fouls trying to win the ball back

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Battered Newcastle but how did Gayle miss that open goal! Sterling looked sharper and lovely goal. 

Nice to see from Sterling. City need those goals from him, especially with Aguero out of action.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Foden didn't come on for long but he just gets better and better. Never gave up on a single ball and some lovely passing. I like that lad a lot

Preaching to the converted mate. If he steers clear of injuries he could be better than Gazza or any of the 'Golden Generation'!

41 minutes ago, wilai said:

Preaching to the converted mate. If he steers clear of injuries he could be better than Gazza or any of the 'Golden Generation'!

I agree he's an amazing talent... but I think we are more likely to see something more familiar. A player who looks world class playing in a certain system for their club, but when it comes to England, struggles to make an impact in a different (and inferior) style of play. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I agree he's an amazing talent... but I think we are more likely to see something more familiar. A player who looks world class playing in a certain system for their club, but when it comes to England, struggles to make an impact in a different (and inferior) style of play. 

You haven't seen him play for the England youngsters then? He shines for them as well. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree....as usual????

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

He'll drag the old guard along with him ????

13 minutes ago, wilai said:

You haven't seen him play for the England youngsters then? He shines for them as well. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree....as usual????

When has being good a U-21 level ever automatically translated to senior level.

Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes... it's a long list of players who looked world class for club but never quite reached the same heights at international level. Arguably, Foden plays in a system which is even further removed from how England play. 

I couldn't care less about England, but to be considered better than Gazza in an England shirt would be quite some achievement, considering the players who have flattered to deceive since. 

From the Manchester Evening News:-

Manchester City have agreed a fee with Bayern Munich for the transfer of Leroy Sane.

Sane's contract with the Blues was set to expire next summer and Pep Guardiola confirmed the winger had rejected their offer of a new deal.

Bayern have courted Sane for over a year and will pay €49million up front with €11million in add-ons which takes the deal to £54.8m.

The 24-year-old will sign a five-year-deal worth €22m with the Bundesliga champions - double the amount City had offered in contract negotiations.

City have also included a 10 per cent sell on clause into the deal.

Bayern had aimed to pay around £30m for the former Schalke man but City have negotiated a significantly higher fee.

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Shame for you guys. I think he’s a huge talent, but nobody wants a player who wants away. 

He's good alright but a bit sulky for me. Don't know if it's attitude  or just his persona but he's never looked happy. I think we've got a brilliant deal for someone with only a year left on his contract. Glad the drama is over to be honest as it's dragged on for too long. Onwards and upwards

3 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

He's good alright but a bit sulky for me. Don't know if it's attitude  or just his persona but he's never looked happy. I think we've got a brilliant deal for someone with only a year left on his contract. Glad the drama is over to be honest as it's dragged on for too long. Onwards and upwards

Who would be your number one target Mr B?

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Who would be your number one target Mr B?

TBH Kads, I don't think that position is our number one priority. Zinchenko or Mendy can adequately cover that position, as well as a couple of others for cover. It would be a luxury to replace him like-for-like but for me, all sense and sensibility lead to the number one focus on getting a world class Centre Back 

20 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Trying to look for any sort of significance to tonight's match, aside from the guard of honour etc... I've come to the conclusion there isn't any.

Top playing second. The two best teams in England. Neither wanted to lose

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Top playing second. The two best teams in England. Neither wanted to lose

Excellent game to watch. Both teams going for it. It was ironic listening to the commentary saying that the difference this season was the back 5 as City had scored more goals than Liverpool, and rightly so, then the tables turned and on the night it was Liverpool who had a dodgy night at the back. 

It was one of those games that if Liverpool had took one of their early chances it may have been different.

One things for sure, Liverpool went there to win. Strong side and even Keane was saying that their warm up and attitude was as strong as ever. 

I don’t think they would have wanted to lose that game, Champions or not. 

Last 5 games away from home with out scoring for the Champions. Odd stat. 

Both teams will be fighting it out next season. No one else will come close. Maybe Chelsea may close the gap a little. 

Increasing "talk" about Messi being disenchanted with the Barca suits, and possibly heading to Man City. But apparently he would see out his contract, and by the time he would arrive at City he would be nearing 35 years.

9 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Increasing "talk" about Messi being disenchanted with the Barca suits, and possibly heading to Man City. But apparently he would see out his contract, and by the time he would arrive at City he would be nearing 35 years.

I'd have him at 53

Archived