The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Don't bother him carms....he's busy stitching his invisibility cloak just in case we win the Premiership.

Did you see that waffle he posted the other day saying that apparently "we all know" that Carrick wasn't picked enough for England because there was an anti United agenda!!!!  

Just remind him that Real Madrid and Barcelona will always be bigger clubs than United and be done with him!!!????

Edited by carmine
  • Haha 1

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

24 minutes ago, carmine said:

Rick is the epitome of the Sky sports generation football fan,  and has just posted the usual anti Spurs standard line their post pundits role out ad nauseam.  Apparently you're not allowed to run a club the way we do you have spend millions, its the Murdoch/Sky way.

You'd also think that having spent nearly half a billion more than Spurs, yet sitting all those points below us that Rick might find the temerity to button it.  But, we know the arrogance and sense of entitlement that many United fans have so theres no chance of that.

Shoot magazine generation meets Sky sports generation in the battle of the pseudo experts...they're a right pair aren't they.

26 minutes ago, carmine said:

Did you see that waffle he posted the other day saying that apparently "we all know" that Carrick wasn't picked enough for England because there was an anti United agenda!!!!  

Just remind him that Real Madrid and Barcelona will always be bigger clubs than United and be done with him!!!????

I've no idea whether his comment is correct or not, however based solely on football shirts i see here and overseas i suspect ManU may be the most popular.

Here's something  related in the news today

http://sportwitness.co.uk/man-united-named-3rd-biggest-club-world-liverpool-5th-man-city-come-9th/

16 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

If Spurs win their game in hand, they are 2 points behind one of the greatest football teams ever assembled and are well in this title race with 11 games to play. 

Stop handing out medals for taking part. We've been in the duldrums for six years but still managed to pick up 3 trophies. 

3rd or 4th place is not a trophy. Top 4 just means you are in with a chance of winning the Champions League. 

I'm sure Harry Kane will have a tear in his eye when he sits down his grandkids and tells them about all those times he finished in the top four. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Stop handing out medals for taking part. We've been in the duldrums for six years but still managed to pick up 3 trophies. 

3rd or 4th place is not a trophy. Top 4 just means you are in with a chance of winning the Champions League. 

I'm sure Harry Kane will have a tear in his eye when he sits down his grandkids and tells them about all those times he finished in the top four. 

You said, they are irrelevant and not closer to winning anything. My response was they are very much in a title race, a breaking records title race. That would suggest the opposite to your comment.

Now you are talking about something else. 700M spent ensured you won those tin-pots of irrelevance. 

To digress further, there are 80 odd clubs in England's top divisions that win nothing every year, they have fans who support them and always will, they have players who play fro them and are successful footballers. Sport is about competing and for fans the enjoyment of the spectacle. The shinny thing is the cherry on top, but it's not the be all and end all for football fans. 

Likewise there are thousands of footballers who have so many great moments to share, goals scored, game saving tackles made, man of the match performances. You make it sound like the game is JUST about winning a pot, it's more than that. Success for a footballer is competing at the best level they can and enjoying it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You said, they are irrelevant and not closer to winning anything. My response was they are very much in a title race, a breaking records title race. That would suggest the opposite to your comment.

Now you are talking about something else. 700M spent ensured you won those tin-pots of irrelevance. 

To digress further, there are 80 odd clubs in England's top divisions that win nothing every year, they have fans who support them and always will, they have players who play fro them and are successful footballers. Sport is about competing and for fans the enjoyment of the spectacle. The shinny thing is the cherry on top, but it's not the be all and end all for football fans. 

Likewise there are thousands of footballers who have so many great moments to share, goals scored, game saving tackles made, man of the match performances. You make it sound like the game is JUST about winning a pot, it's more than that. Success for a footballer is competing at the best level they can and enjoying it. 

Spurs are not just one of the 80 odd clubs though are they. They are one of the countries Big 6 clubs in recent seasons, they were one of the Big 5 who engineered the breakaway that culminated in ghe Premier in the late 80s/early 90s and they have been one of the big clubs going way back...but they don't punch their weight and win enough for a team of their stature. And all the big clubs are in it to win it not entertain.

Tin pot trophies? Sorry not having that. Any of the 3 domestic trophies and the European trophies are worth winning.

Spurs need to win a trophy and move forward as a club. The last one is way back and one is long overdue.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

They're not any closer though are they. They are just about in the title conversation and you are very generous giving them a chance. This is a team that finished 2nd a couple of seasons ago. 

You can get all misty eyed about lower league clubs, and you are right, everyone can take their little joys from football. But Spurs are no more relavant than a team that finishes 17th in the Prem. And their trophy cabinet is no different. 

25 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Tin pot trophies? 

Exactly.... 

United won the FA Cup in 1990, the Cup Winners Cup in 1991, the League Cup in 1992, and then the league in 1993. Then we all know what happened over the next two decades. 

If we had of regarded those cups as tin pot, do you honestly think we would have developed the momentum and winning mentality to dominate English football. 

This is a Liverpool fan downplaying the significance of winning trophies... Why are we even surprised? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Spurs are not just one of the 80 odd clubs though are they. They are one of the countries Big 6 clubs in recent seasons, they were one of the Big 5 who engineered the breakaway that culminated in ghe Premier in the late 80s/early 90s and they have been one of the big clubs going way back...but they don't punch their weight and win enough for a team of their stature. And all the big clubs are in it to win it not entertain.

Tin pot trophies? Sorry not having that. Any of the 3 domestic trophies and the European trophies are worth winning.

Spurs need to win a trophy and move forward as a club. The last one is way back and one is long overdue.

I only referenced Spurs in the first sentence in response to Rick.

Rick brought up the value of winning trophies to which I responded, which was about the whole not the individual. 

League titles and Champions League are big trophies. Milk & FA Cups hold no real prestige anymore and the Europa Cup is of detriment to most league campaigns. 

Edited by BangrakBob

47 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Exactly.... 

United won the FA Cup in 1990, the Cup Winners Cup in 1991, the League Cup in 1992, and then the league in 1993. Then we all know what happened over the next two decades. 

If we had of regarded those cups as tin pot, do you honestly think we would have developed the momentum and winning mentality to dominate English football. 

This is a Liverpool fan downplaying the significance of winning trophies... Why are we even surprised? 

I'm downplaying the significance of League, FA and Europa Cups. I crave League & Champions League only, true measures of brilliance, top clubs, big clubs. 

34 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I only referenced Spurs in the first sentence in response to Rick.

Rick brought up the value of winning trophies to which I responded, which was about the whole not the individual. 

League titles and Champions League are big trophies. Milk & FA Cups hold no real prestige anymore and the Europa Cup is of detriment to most league campaigns. 

So you'd turn your nose up to winning the FA or League Cup or Europa Cup would you. White man speak with forked tongue.

35 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So you'd turn your nose up to winning the FA or League Cup or Europa Cup would you. White man speak with forked tongue.

Those domestic cups are completely devalued in the modern era. I can't remember the last time I watched a final, and you would never miss it no mater who was playing in bygone times.

One of my greatest memories as a kid was my dad taking me to the 1981 Milk Cup final. If you asked me the same question in 1989 I'd give you a completely different answer.

Europa League = getting dragged to the four corners of Europe, injuries, fatigue, dropped points in the league and playing against those that aren't good enough. I'd rather not. 

4 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Those domestic cups are completely devalued in the modern era. I can't remember the last time I watched a final, and you would never miss it no mater who was playing in bygone times.

One of my greatest memories as a kid was my dad taking me to the 1981 Milk Cup final. If you asked me the same question in 1989 I'd give you a completely different answer.

Europa League = getting dragged to the four corners of Europe, injuries, fatigue, dropped points in the league and playing against those that aren't good enough. I'd rather not. 

That may be so, but you can't replace the value of knowing what it takes to get to a final and win something.

We may have derided your 'Mickey Mouse treble' in 2001, but how many of those players went on to win in 2005? Not Googled but I'm sure there were a few who benefitted immeasurably from that experience.

31 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I bet ol' BBob likes him a CUP a Joe of a morning though. ???? 

9 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

So you'd turn your nose up to liverpool winning the FA or League Cup or Europa Cup. I'm not having that.

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Absolutely correct and the europa was further devalued by allowing a drop out from the CL to be included which is just wrong.  

Nowadays it's all about the premier league, the CL and making sure you qualify for it.

• Like 1

Just finished. City 3 v 0 ManU u18s in the semi-finals of the Under-18 Premier League Cup at City's Academy, behind close doors due to security concerns (?). City play Boro or Derby in the final.

Wrighty Wright Wright, Tommy Doyle, Dele-Bashiru and Nmecha the known City names. 

Pic from MEN before you start ????

City U18s 3 vs 0 Man Utd U18s.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Just finished. City 3 v 0 ManU u18s in the semi-finals of the Under-18 Premier League Cup at City's Academy, behind close doors due to security concerns (?). City play Boro or Derby in the final.

Wrighty Wright Wright, Tommy Doyle, Dele-Bashiru and Nmecha the known City names. 

Pic from MEN before you start ????

City U18s 3 vs 0 Man Utd U18s.jpg

Reason why it was played behind closed doors. Not sure i believe it though.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-city-u18s-fans-15841158

On 2/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Imagine. You're  the manager of City. You play 433. Fernandinho takes 1 midfield position. You have to decide who to chose for the 2 creative midfield positions for 3 Premier games in a week. You're under pressure playing catch up in a title chase. You've just had a terrible performance and loss away at Newcastle and have to play 2 top 6 teams at home in arsenal  and chelsea with a tricky game away in between at usually  difficult Goodison. You have world cup, Premier and Bundesliga winners in internationals David Silva, KdB, Gundogan and Bernardo. You also have a talented youngster in Foden. Who do you pick?

Well the way the Spurs fans keep having a pop on here it should obviously be Foden plus one of the experienced 4. If you're  a rational person or Pep it's 2 from the experienced 4 and rotate the 4 over the 3 games.

I guess if your experienced players aren't much better than your upcoming youngsters or your experienced players are injured or off to China then you have little choice, with a limited squad, but to make your youngsters 'sink or swim'. At City we don't have any of those problems so we can take the time to carefully pick and choose the right level of games for our youngsters to play in. Those 3 highpressure games weren't right for inexperienced Foden, but if he's not injured you can be pretty sure he'll start at the weekend in the FA Cup.

But thanks for your continuing interest.????

Alfie

vs Newport

XI | Ederson, Zinchenko, Stones, Otamendi, Danilo, Fernandinho, Sane, Silva (C), Foden, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus.

SUBS | Muric, Laporte, Walker, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo

58 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Alfie

vs Newport

XI | Ederson, Zinchenko, Stones, Otamendi, Danilo, Fernandinho, Sane, Silva (C), Foden, Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus.

SUBS | Muric, Laporte, Walker, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo

Good to see Foden getting a start. It will be of great value to him playing on a mudheap against a bunch of cloggers who will spend the game trying to kick him off the park. Keep your fingers crossed he doesn't get seriously injured. Or maybe .... no ... surely not.

Edited by champers

35 minutes ago, champers said:

Good to see Foden getting a start. It will be of great value to him playing on a mudheap against a bunch of cloggers who will spend the game trying to kick him off the park. Keep your fingers crossed he doesn't get seriously injured. Or maybe .... no ... surely not.

City are struggling against a bunch of big physical cloggers on the worst pitch i can remember us on in decades. Could go either way this. Only Silva looks comfortable.