The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

From the Hitler Youth and fighting against the British in World War II to breaking his neck in the FA Cup final... the incredible story of German goalkeeper Bert Trautmann is brought to life in a new film

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6669701/The-incredible-tale-Bert-Trautmann-Hitler-Youth-breaking-neck-FA-Cup-final.html

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

From the Hitler Youth and fighting against the British in World War II to breaking his neck in the FA Cup final... the incredible story of German goalkeeper Bert Trautmann is brought to life in a new film

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6669701/The-incredible-tale-Bert-Trautmann-Hitler-Youth-breaking-neck-FA-Cup-final.html

Trautmann broke his neck, Ederson has a tattoo on his neck. The unbreakable lineage of City keepers. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I did read somewhere that Newport may want to play at Etihad as they will get 50% of the door.

Or would it not be fairer to play at a 'convenient' neutral ground, halfway between the two home venues to even out travelling costs for the fans.

They'd probably get more at their home ground. If you play it q neutral ground I literally believe no City will turn up.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Trautmann broke his neck, Ederson has a tattoo on his neck. The unbreakable lineage of City keepers. 

I bet they won't be making a film about Ederson!  Last time I went to Etihad was several years ago, as I have been here too long, because my Thai GF was in love with Joe Hart and wanted to see him in life. We beat Reading 2-1. 

11 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

They'd probably get more at their home ground. If you play it q neutral ground I literally believe no City will turn up.

You're joking. Mcr to B'ham 1 hour. Mcr to Newport at least 4. But I wonder what Newport's fan base is if only 7850 can go to a home match, how many would travel, 100%. Which is maybe 10% of City, or less.

Edited by wgdanson

Just now, wgdanson said:

I bet they won't be making a film about Ederson!  Last time I went to Etihad was several years ago, as I have been here too long, because my Thai GF was in love with Joe Hart and wanted to see him in life. We beat Reading 2-1. 

Is this your way of revealing yourself to be a City fan? Aren't you from Macclesfield?

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Guess If they make a remake of The Adams Family then Ederson could get the role of Lurch.

Ps. My missus favourite was joe hart, guess he's roop lor.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Is this your way of revealing yourself to be a City fan? Aren't you from Macclesfield?

No actually, Ashton under Lyne, on which the Etihad is on the New Road. I used to frequent The Fletcher's Arms down near the sewage works between Denton & Bredbury in 60s.

Emigrated to Macc for some girl! What year was it City & Macc were both Third Division?

Edited by wgdanson

Just now, wgdanson said:

No actually, Ashton under Lyne, on which the Etihad is on the New Road. Emigrated to Macc for some girl!

Fair enough... I think you should support Stalybridge but I'll let you off ???? what a grim ground that is ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Fair enough... I think you should support Stalybridge but I'll let you off ???? what a grim ground that is ????

My childhood home was directly opposite Ashton United's ground so as kids we could watch from the front bedroom., and hear, on a Saturday. Great days in the 50s.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No actually, Ashton under Lyne, on which the Etihad is on the New Road. I used to frequent The Fletcher's Arms down near the sewage works between Denton & Bredbury in 60s.

Emigrated to Macc for some girl! What year was it City & Macc were both Third Division?

Near the sewage works ????

Its not as grim as it sounds there in reality.

Rick. Ashton, like Bredbury, is a big blue area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Near the sewage works ????

Its not as grim as it sounds there in reality.

Rick. Ashton, like Bredbury, is a big blue area.

I remember a really nice pub going up on the left after the sewage works, a Robbie's house.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You're joking. Mcr to B'ham 1 hour. Mcr to Newport at least 4. But I wonder what Newport's fan base is if only 7850 can go to a home match, how many would travel, 100%. Which is maybe 10% of City, or less.

I am joking yes.

13 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I did read somewhere that Newport may want to play at Etihad as they will get 50% of the door.

Or would it not be fairer to play at a 'convenient' neutral ground, halfway between the two home venues to even out travelling costs for the fans.

I don't think this is allowed anymore. If your ground is no good, don't enter the competition.

There is big prize money now to compensate. There never used to be any. 

Saw Newport roll over Leicester. They are no mugs

40 minutes ago, champers said:

I don't think this is allowed anymore. If your ground is no good, don't enter the competition.

I thought the same. But just looked on the FA Cup rules and there is a provision under Para 9 (a) (I) that with the Professional Game Boards consent the venue can be switched. Although it doesn't actually state it, maybe they will only grant consent in extenuating circumstances

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I thought the same. But just looked on the FA Cup rules and there is a provision under Para 9 (a) (I) that with the Professional Game Boards consent the venue can be switched. Although it doesn't actually state it, maybe they will only grant consent in extenuating circumstances

It used to happen quite often and I think it is wrong. The draw is the draw.

I would have thought that Sutton would have moved their tie 2 seasons ago v Arsenal to the Emirates, for example. I cannot think of a game being moved in that way in the last 5 years, maybe more. When was the last time? Anybody know?

Can't remember such a nervy game. Must have looked at the time every minute or 2. Dug it out, ground it out, call it what you will, but it was a grind. Everton gave a very good showing of themselves; otamendi will be checking for calvert-lewin all week (the youngster had the better of him).

Every time this season we had a chance to get away  from Liverpool or catch up we blew our chance; this is the first time we did what was required of us. Better!!!

I've just been reading a piece where Guardiola is complaining about the packed fixture schedule.  I totally agree with him but i can't help thinking that he secretly sees it as a positive,  which it is for City, because at the end of the day, bar anything untoward happening this will only benefit the clubs with the strongest squad.  And it is, right about now, february,  where the fatigue, fixture congestion all starts to take its toll.  The only flaw to this argument would be Leicester who suffered virtually no injuries at all, with Ranieri being able to focus just on the league and with the same fit starting eleven.

As said earlier in the season i have never doubted Liverpool's ability to go toe to toe with City but over thirty-eight games its highly unlikely.