The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't like cheating in sport.

Ronaldo should have been sent off for trying (as he did) to deceive the ref to gain an advantage.

I don't think he's among the worst divers by a long way. Wayne Rooney knew how to manufacture a penalty. Would you be happy to strike off all the goals he scored for United? 

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Casemiro's goal last night was something else. Seems we got a quality player who still has some miles in the tank.

Cracking volley, got me off my seat for sure, hope Neymar can somehow still play a part in this World Cup.

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I don't think he's among the worst divers by a long way. Wayne Rooney knew how to manufacture a penalty. Would you be happy to strike off all the goals he scored for United? 

I tend to agree. Even City has a master diver in Fanny Lee.

Arsenal had the worst one I've ever seen play; Eduardo da Silva!. If he got withing 10 metres of the ball, he would run into the penalty box and trip himself up. He suffered a broken leg against Brum, was out for 12 months, and was never as good again.  United had one a couple of years back; Ashley ?? (name escapes me). He was so blatant that they changed him from a left winger to a full back to stop the embarrassments.

Didn't see Rooney as a diver. At his best he - just before he hurt his metatarsal, he was the number one in the world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I don't like cheating in sport.

Ronaldo should have been sent off for trying (as he did) to deceive the ref to gain an advantage.

is jealousy a virtue 555 ....sometimes it's just an occasional thing

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

When I started watching professional footy, anyone 'diving' would have been booed off the pitch.

Then we had 'gamesmanship in the late 1960s.

We were simply copying the South Americans, and some European clubs.

Cheating is cheating! whether it is Maradona's 'hand of god', or Ronaldo's 'theatrical dive' against Ghana.

I can honestly say, during in my own footy career, (retired at 42) I never once cheated. A bit of gamesmanship occasionally; but never cheating.

Did you reach the same heights as Ronaldo and Messi?

How many World Cups did you score in ?

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Did you reach the same heights as Ronaldo and Messi?

How many World Cups did you score in ?

In a word; no! No world cups either.

Got a medal for winning the London Mid-week League. Met Danny Blanchflower after the last game.

Played in the Isthmian League, for the Army, and for a Nth East London club. Now Enfield Town.

Was lucky if we got any expenses paid. Can't remember any cheating from anyone.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

The commentators don't help. Kids listening to a commentator telling everybody how clever these cheating barstewards are at winning fouls and penalties . 

That is not good.

The commentators are calling it how they see it. Shall we just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that gamesmanship and simulation aren't part of football at the highest level?

Those South Americans are quite good at football aren't they? How many times have they won the World Cup? 9 off the top of my head..... In those countries trying to win fouls is completely normal, so is deception, trickery, winding players up etc etc. I believe it's known as 'the dark arts'. South Americans come from a dog eat dog type of football that require you to win at all costs

It's part of the game. But of course the best at practicing the dark arts are cute about it.

So please mate, give yourself a reality check!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The commentators are calling it how they see it. Shall we just bury our heads in the sand and pretend that gamesmanship and simulation aren't part of football at the highest level?

Those South Americans are quite good at football aren't they? How many times have they won the World Cup? 9 off the top of my head..... In those countries trying to win fouls is completely normal, so is deception, trickery, winding players up etc etc. I believe it's known as 'the dark arts'. South Americans come from a dog eat dog type of football that require you to win at all costs

It's part of the game. But of course the best at practicing the dark arts are cute about it.

So please mate, give yourself a reality check!

Just because it is part of the game doesn't make it right . You call it dark arts , I call it cheating.

We have different opinions on it.

I don't need a reality check because I don't agree with someone .

Edited by NE1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Just because it is part of the game doesn't make it right . You call it dark arts , I call it cheating.

We have different opinions on it.

I don't need a reality check because I don't agree with someone .

The point is related to your problem with the commentators' comment. If players are successfully gaining an advantage by deceiving the referee, why shouldn't they say they are good at it?

They are good at it, whether it's lawful or not, and whether you like it or not.

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

The point is related to your problem with the commentators' comment

My argument is , Deceit is part of the game that some people do not like to see , and it will not be erdicated as long as it seen as a positive action by commentators

Kids will see it as an acceptable part of the game and so it will continue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NE1 said:

My argument is , Deceit is part of the game that some people do not like to see , and it will not be erdicated as long as it seen as a positive action by commentators

Kids will see it as an acceptable part of the game and so it will continue.

But the commentators job is to call it as it is. And deceit helps to win football matches.

It's the referees' and authorities' job to clamp down.

14 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But the commentators job is to call it as it is.

But that is where the problem lies . If they called it deceit/cheating instead of glamourising it and calling it clever ,  or at least keep their opinions to themselves , ( just call the game as it happens )  maybe the message might get through to the next generation . Every little bit could help.

Edited by NE1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

But that is where the problem lies . If they called it deceit/cheating instead of glamourising it and calling it clever ,  or at least keep their opinions to themselves , ( just call the game as it happens )  maybe the message might get through to the next generation . Every little bit could help.

It's not their job to make moral judgements. They called it clever because it is, it's more clever than it ever was to fool officials with VAR around. 

One of the reasons we like sport is because it reflects life. Some players cheat a bit and others play fair. The ones who cheat are running the risk of getting caught and punished. Anyone who says it doesn't add to the drama are not in tune with their own thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, champers said:

Complete and utter BS. I hate the diving, over-acting and timewasting. It is even worse if it is from a team I support. 

That's fine, but it's up to the officials to clamp down.

It's the commentators / pundits job to call the game as they see it. They aren't to blame for how the next generation plays football.

As long as there are footballers from poor countries, the sport will be played with a 'win at all costs' mentality. These players started playing that way to drag themselves and their families up from the gutter. Not for the entertainment of Champers and NE1 sat at home nursing a can of Leo

And you are forgetting a valuable lesson kids can learn from watching real world top level football - life isn't fair

Edited by RickG16

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

As long as there are footballers from poor countries, the sport will be played with a 'win at all costs' mentality. These players started playing that way to drag themselves and their families up from the gutter.

Now that is rubbish. you are losing it there mate..... I have never ever known a player get a professional football contract because throughout all his years at academies , playing youth and reserve team football he was awarded his contract because he could dive , and feign injury......Come on mate , have a look at yourself.

5 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Now that is rubbish. you are losing it there mate..... I have never ever known a player get a professional football contract because throughout all his years at academies , playing youth and reserve team football he was awarded his contract because he could dive , and feign injury......Come on mate , have a look at yourself.

I'm not saying it's the be all and end all 

I'm saying it's a big feature of how the game is played in regions like South America. And I explained why

If you can't accept that it's you who is burying your head in the sand 

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:27 PM, RickG16 said:

The Ten Hag 'response' quotes somebody posted up previously weren't real. I think they were from Facebook 

I was not commenting on anything EtH is supposed to have said purely referring to Ronaldo' claim of being "Betrayed" by MU quotes, that's verging on defamation in todays world.

Nothing he claimed in the tortuous interview has any evidence to back it up or any ability provide a witness. Now Piers Morgan is claiming Ronaldo texted him from the dressing room. immediatly after their win to say Bruno's goal was his when the technology inside the ball says no touch and the ball never spins.

Uncle Piers is of course is lapping it up, using Ronaldo like a piece of putty when the player should be celebrating a win with his team mates, its really pathetic from him Bruno had a great game Ronaldo didn't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I was not commenting on anything EtH is supposed to have said purely referring to Ronaldo' claim of being "Betrayed" by MU quotes, that's verging on defamation in todays world.

Nothing he claimed in the tortuous interview has any evidence to back it up or any ability provide a witness. Now Piers Morgan is claiming Ronaldo texted him from the dressing room. immediatly after their win to say Bruno's goal was his when the technology inside the ball says no touch and the ball never spins.

Uncle Piers is of course is lapping it up, using Ronaldo like a piece of putty when the player should be celebrating a win with his team mates, its really pathetic from him Bruno had a great game Ronaldo didn't.

The BBC are certainly 'bigging up' Ronaldo. This cheat can't do any wrong for them.

Now he is finished with United, they will start to prosper. They have enough talent at the club to make top 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The BBC are certainly 'bigging up' Ronaldo. This cheat can't do any wrong for them.

Now he is finished with United, they will start to prosper. They have enough talent at the club to make top 4.

it's just unbelievable the amount of daily garbage/BS on the news reporting about the guy, why not let it go, the media should move on to more important news, the guy has a life and a family to care for the rest it's just blablabla to sell space or magazines

Edited by Mavideol