The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Dempsey left United in 2009 after more than 15 years with the club in order to take up another youth development coaching role with Norwegian outfit Tromso before linking up with Solskjaer at Molde a year later.

They are just good friends, Ole and Dempsey , so he want him on the team wherever he goes. 

In Norway , after his assistant job at Molde ended in 2014, he managed Haugesund and IK Start, also Djurgarden in Sweden. He never succeeded in any of the clubs and was sacked after IK Start was relegated. 

4 minutes ago, balo said:

They are just good friends, Ole and Dempsey , so he want him on the team wherever he goes. 

In Norway , after his assistant job at Molde ended in 2014, he managed Haugesund and IK Start, also Djurgarden in Sweden. He never succeeded in any of the clubs and was sacked after IK Start was relegated. 

Well I think he is within his rights to choose at least one of 'his men'. Especially considering our previous post-Fergie managers have had virtually a complete clear out.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Is that the Leicester that just beat Chelsea and City in their last 2 games, one of which Maguire was MOM in?

I am not saying he is an essential signing, but it's not always wise to disregard someone at a smaller club because of said club's collective results.

Maybe he is not on the radar now anyway... he could have been a Mourinho target which the current powers that be don't fancy. 

Maguire was MOM? Against City or Chelsea? Now i know its natural to watch my team's players far closer that the opponents, but Maguire didn't stand out to me AT ALL (apart from laughing at his girly-running style as always).

Personally don't rate him that much. Know Rick rates him. A cheap reliable experienced stopgap until a really top class CB is bought: Gary Cahill or Jonny Evans.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Well I think he is within his rights to choose at least one of 'his men'. Especially considering our previous post-Fergie managers have had virtually a complete clear out.

Of course he's within his rights; shortterm interim contracts remember so if a ManU oldboy is chosen and willing to help out till the season's end, the cost is minimal and the board will and should back it.

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Me too, ok he had a fairly good WC then people were saying buy him, but last season Leicester had one of the worst defensive records in the PL, leave him out

He had a reasonable world cup whilst we were playing weak sides.  Thats it.  His technical ability is limited, turns like an oil tanker and simply isn't very good. Not a CL quality center back for me.  And i repeat, you will not rebuild and settle a backline with Maguire.  You buy players like VVD to do that or Toby, although in his case i think United should be looking for someone younger. Maguire just spanks of a desperation buy, jumping out of a frying pan straight into a fire.

22 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Diego Roberto Godín Leal is a Uruguayan professional footballer who captains both Spanish club Atlético Madrid and the Uruguay national team as a central defender

But he's to old now at 32  

Too old yes but what an absolutely fantastic player.  I still thought that Godin and Varane were the stand outs at the world cup.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

He had a reasonable world cup whilst we were playing weak sides.  Thats it.  His technical ability is limited, turns like an oil tanker and simply isn't very good. Not a CL quality center back for me.  And i repeat, you will not rebuild and settle a backline with Maguire.  You buy players like VVD to do that or Toby, although in his case i think United should be looking for someone younger. Maguire just spanks of a desperation buy, jumping out of a frying pan straight into a fire.

How do you have the cheek to show your face after yesterday? What a disgrace! That was Spurs's chance to mount a title challenge and as usual you bottled it.

Never seen a more 'Spursy' performance in my life. 

" Avram Glazier is due to fly to Saudi Arabia next week, to meet with Mohammed Bin Saud re: talks regarding the sale of Manchester United."

If MBS thinks he can repair his reputation by becoming the owner of United and pouring money into the club, he'd best be aware of the fans reaction when the Glaziers bought the club.

For United fans: Out of the frying pan into the fire?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

" Avram Glazier is due to fly to Saudi Arabia next week, to meet with Mohammed Bin Saud re: talks regarding the sale of Manchester United."

If MBS thinks he can repair his reputation by becoming the owner of United and pouring money into the club, he'd best be aware of the fans reaction when the Glaziers bought the club.

For United fans: Out of the frying pan into the fire?

The Glaziers didnt pour money into Man U , the Glaziers borrowed money to buy Man U and then took that money out of Man U to repay the debt

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Glaziers didnt pour money into Man U , the Glaziers borrowed money to buy Man U and then took that money out of Man U to repay the debt

Yep, the debt was in the name of the club from day 1. So, United borrowed money to buy itself and give itself to the Glaziers. Smart!

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yep, the debt was in the name of the club from day 1. So, United borrowed money to buy itself and give itself to the Glaziers. Smart!

Twisting things a bit there , The Glaziers borrowed the money, used the money to buy Man U and then used the clubs income to repay the debt .

Thats how to make 2 billion in 15 years

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Twisting things a bit there , The Glaziers borrowed the money, used the money to buy Man U and then used the clubs income to repay the debt .

Thats how to make 2 billion in 15 years

Not quite. They actually used the club as collateral for the loan.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I wondered how the Glaziers got into SA? Interesting years ago I had 2 passports because one had a Israeli stamp in it and wouldn't be allowed into SA  

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I wondered how the Glaziers got into SA? Interesting years ago I had 2 passports because one had a Israeli stamp in it and wouldn't be allowed into SA  

He is an American citizen and there wouldnt be any problems with him going to Saudi

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think you can ask for your passport not to be stamped in Israel now. 

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

as i said it was some years ago

You are right though American Citizen or not you won’t get in to Saud with an Israeli stamped passport. 

The only way it would happen would be if someone of position sorted it. 

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford brilliant vs Bournemouth

Man Utd vs Bournemouth was another routine win for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Paul Pogba scored twice and Marcus Rashford 

What would be your player ratings?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-bournemouth-15611360

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Manchester United player ratings: Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford brilliant vs Bournemouth

Man Utd vs Bournemouth was another routine win for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as Paul Pogba scored twice and Marcus Rashford 

What would be your player ratings?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-player-ratings-bournemouth-15611360

Pogba was OUTRAGEOUSLY good. Magnificent going forward and helped out massively in defence. Best player on the park x10. Good to hear Ole admit that we still need to work on the defence, after the match.

Relief to see Young start ahead of Dalot and had a good game. Bailly started ahead of Jones and was a good choice but still looked a bit of a liability at times. Red card was really harsh and we will miss him for however many games he is suspended. Appeal?

Rashford going from strength to strength. My biggest disappointment was Lingard who had a quiet game and looked below par, at times.

Bring on Newcastle then "lost in the woods" Spurs at Wembley on the 13th.

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pogba was OUTRAGEOUSLY good. Magnificent going forward and helped out massively in defence. Best player on the park x10. Good to hear Ole admit that we still need to work on the defence, after the match.

Relief to see Young start ahead of Dalot and had a good game. Bailly started ahead of Jones and was a good choice but still looked a bit of a liability at times. Red card was really harsh and we will miss him for however many games he is suspended. Appeal?

Rashford going from strength to strength. My biggest disappointment was Lingard who had a quiet game and looked below par, at times.

Bring on Newcastle then "lost in the woods" Spurs at Wembley on the 13th.

Ole admitted it was a rash challenge no appeal I guess, Listening to Wes Brown after he said it's an area he needs to work on he's had a few Red cards......?

28 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You are right though American Citizen or not you won’t get in to Saud with an Israeli stamped passport. 

The only way it would happen would be if someone of position sorted it. 

A friend of mine went to work in Lybia years ago and got turned away for the same reason, that was how I first found out

Archived