The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although hes probably getting some help from Fergie and Phelan

One of the many things that he's done right, is to gather a backroom team around him that works well with him and complements his style. Also has a different attitude to them, it's all about team with Ole. Yet more credit to him.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

The PSG owners are wondering what's going on. Cave to Barca and now this.

Amazing the effect Mourinho's departure has had on these players. You have to give some credit to OGS but I think this is the Thank God They Sacked That <deleted> effect.

Yeah I agree. 

I said many months back much the same. Once he left you could see the immediate change and weight lifted. In truth that could only last a certain amount of time. Last nights result shows that they have kicked on again and that has to be down to the current management team. There’s  no way now they cannot give OGS the job full time. 

Good news for Spurs. Looks like Poch won’t be going to Madrid either even though he is fans fav choice. Only PSG left........surely not?

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

One of the many things that he's done right, is to gather a backroom team around him that works well with him and complements his style. Also has a different attitude to them, it's all about team with Ole. Yet more credit to him.

The whole structure looks different. With Mourinho it was all about him and his ego. Even when Carrick was given the role his body language never looked right. He always looked uncomfortable sitting alongside him. 

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Mourinho turned a good side into also rans. I could think of several managers who could have come in and turned things round for us. But 9 straight away wins, one loss, which was turned round last night, incredible turnaround, only Ole could have done that. Has turned a good side into a great side.

Sorry mate, you're not getting him back - over my and every other United fan's dead body!

thats what the Molde owners said, do not come back

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

The rule is that if it prevents a clear shot on goal, it's a penalty. Also, his arm was raised and he knew what he was doing. Penalty, get over it.

That's  not the law; youre either making it up or misinformed.

The law is:

LAW 12: FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

IFAB Laws of the Game 2018-19

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

If it was deliberate handball he had to be sent off. 

His hand was not moving towards the ball as he'd turned away from the ball.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The law is:

HANDLING THE BALL

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

It's the latest advisory from FIFA. Seem to issue new "advisorys" every other week. He clearly followed the ball, his arm was high and made no attempt to move it away from the ball. It was a clear handball. Irrelevant that he turned away from it, his head didn't, watched the ball all the way.

Referee probably didn't consider a card because he had originally awarded a corner. Embarrassing for the ref.

As I said before, a clear penalty, you really need to get over it, rather than clutching at straws.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Mourinho turned a good side into also rans. I could think of several managers who could have come in and turned things round for us. But 9 straight away wins, one loss, which was turned round last night, incredible turnaround, only Ole could have done that. Has turned a good side into a great side.

Sorry mate, you're not getting him back - over my and every other United fan's dead body!

Be interesting to hear Ricks take on this now, after all  he was heavily defending the manager who got your highest Premier finish (2nd) post-Fergie and won two cups. 

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's the latest advisory from FIFA. Seem to issue new "advisorys" every other week. He clearly followed the ball, his arm was high and made no attempt to move it away from the ball. It was a clear handball. Irrelevant that he turned away from it, his head didn't, watched the ball all the way.

Referee probably didn't consider a card because he had originally awarded a corner. Embarrassing for the ref.

As I said before, a clear penalty, you really need to get over it, rather than clutching at straws.

Your talking nonsense. How does he move his arm / hand away from a ball when he's turned away from it.

Red in my office this morning was arguing as you are. When i asked would he be happy if that penalty decision been given against ManU he agreed with me. Very harsh decision!

38 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Your talking nonsense. How does he move his arm / hand away from a ball when he's turned away from it.

His body was turned away, but his head wasn't. He watched the ball all the way in. I didn't say that he moved his arm away from the ball, I said that he made no attempt to move his arm away from the flight of the ball, which is the relevant point.

You clearly are a typical Chelsea fan, a United hater, who will make up any silly argument that we didn't win fair and square. Get over yourself, we won, we didn't cheat, the referee had a good game and we're through to the next round, unlike Chelsea and that's not United's fault.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

His body was turned away, but his head wasn't. He watched the ball all the way in. I didn't say that he moved his arm away from the ball, I said that he made no attempt to move his arm away from the flight of the ball, which is the relevant point.

You clearly are a typical Chelsea fan, a United hater, who will make up any silly argument that we didn't win fair and square. Get over yourself, we won, we didn't cheat, the referee had a good game and we're through to the next round, unlike Chelsea and that's not United's fault.

That shot was going for goal hitting arm diverted the ball upwards and the bad sportsmanship by PSG interfering with Rashford trying to put him off, Red card for sure

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

He chose to put himself in the air and his arm there to do it. It changed the flight of the ball which was on target. You're not allowed to touch the ball with your arm. It's a penalty.

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Best save that for a Chelsea fan mate, he supports City. 

Changed the game again, in my opinion. Not too sure what Ole's reasoning behind Bailly at right back was, but when Dalot came on and Young moved to right back, I felt we looked a lot more comfortable. 

Not only did he get back and defend the spaces well, but going forward he was a threat too. Obviously played a massive part in us winning the penalty. Another fantastic performance by Dalot I think he has huge potential 

Wasn’t intending to stay up for that but before I knew it, it was 80 mins on the clock. 

Well done United. Sometimes you get Lady Luck on your side. 2 PSG errors and 1 ref error. Don’t know why some are saying a definite penalty. Never a pen but just take it and be happy you got the decision. 

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The law is:

HANDLING THE BALL

Actually i thought he DID carelessly move his hand/arm  to the ball.. he left it/ moved it towards the trajectory of the ball ..funny  cos ALL the bt  panel ferdinand little pric owen and  another ex player said was  glad 4 the pen but was never  a pen  BUT the on call ex ref had NO doubt it was.

38 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

2 PSG errors and 1 ref error. 

You have to be bang on your game to take advantage of those errors though. You could say the first and second were forced errors - very good pressing (on two counts) for the first, and Rash's long range shot which you see a lot of players try these days, deliberately dipping just in front of the keeper. Very hard to deal with. 

And whatever you think about the penalty, it was put away superbly! 

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Wasn’t intending to stay up for that but before I knew it, it was 80 mins on the clock. 

Well done United. Sometimes you get Lady Luck on your side. 2 PSG errors and 1 ref error. Don’t know why some are saying a definite penalty. Never a pen but just take it and be happy you got the decision. 

You say never a penalty.BT Sport  2, live, went to the referee up in the control box and he said "Definately a penalty" and explained why, along with those in the VAR area whose responsibilty it is to make decisions. So shall we cancel VAR based  on your opinion ?                You win some ,you lose some. PSG had that 2 leg tie in the bag and let it go.United

A midfield of Peirara ,Mc Tominay and Fred's first 90 mins.More than luck, guts ,determination and never give up.

SAF.jpg

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You have to be bang on your game to take advantage of those errors though. You could say the first and second were forced errors - very good pressing (on two counts) for the first, and Rash's long range shot which you see a lot of players try these days, deliberately dipping just in front of the keeper. Very hard to deal with. 

There's a lot of people who will rely on the penalty decison and Uniteds "luck" to offset one of the greatest comebacks in our time.

On a wet night a shot designed to bounce in front of the keeper is not luck it follows hours of practice and pre game tactics.

Pressing was not luck it was intentional

No matter should United not get any further in this competition they have laid down a marker .They created a bit of history which any football player or fan should be proud of.

Well the game started just as I had to start work, I pinned the game on my phone and tracked the game the best I could, Fantastic result and I will watch a replay now I am back home, Watched the highlights in my lunch break.

Another red I saw this morning where I am staying said we will get dicked 3-0 I just replied have some faith lad we will win 3-1 well we did I wish I had put some money on now.

54 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That took some bottle especially with all the filthy tactics going on by them. Hats off to Rashford. 

Archived