The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, wilai said:

Some clubs are definitely taking advantage of Covid to ensure they only play when their top players are available....Burnley being one of them. Despite being covid ridden (allegedly), they managed to play their under 23s earlier this week and played a youth cup game today....yet failed to put out their first XI twice in the last week.

Out of more than 13.5 thousand tests in the last week, only 33 were positives, yet 4 games called off already. Not happening anywhere else in Europe.

Exactly. The issue I think is that the clubs asked for clarity and the FA came back with something like, you have to have so many senior squad available or youth with senior experience. That's opened the door for non covid related absences. These clubs will be moaning next about fixture congestion. To me, Leeds have have been the example to set and have just got on with it.

Of those 33 positives, are they all players or staff as well?  

Naby, Sadio and Mo through to last 16 of AfCoN. Mo  will play Ivory Coast. Senegal play Cape Verde Islands (but Naby is suspended for the game). Guinea have Cape Verde Islands.

A few surprise results with Ghana and the holders Algeria already knocked out so impossible to know at this stage how long our lads will be away. If Thomas Partey's cameo for Arsenal against us is a guide, they'll need to have  a rest after flying home! He certainly wasn't up to speed!????

After the 0-0 first leg we had to be on our game against a full strength Arsenal (more comebacks than Lazarus that lot! ????) at their place, And we were, winning 2-0. Although we started both halves slowly, we soon took command and never looked in any danger. Curtis Jones played well and Fab is looking back to his best after covid. Robbo had Saka in his pocket most of the game and TAA with two assists was his usual creative self. Have to give 2 goal Jota my MoM. He always had the gooners worried whenever he ran at them. Will be good to go back to 'Anfield South' for the Final.

46 minutes ago, wilai said:

Will be good to go back to 'Anfield South' for the Final.

?

You haven't won a League Cup for about 10 years nor an FA Cup for about 15 years. How is it Anfield South ????

In the last 10 years we've won 6 League Cups and 2 FA Cups

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

?

You haven't won a League Cup for about 10 years nor an FA Cup for about 15 years. How is it Anfield South ????

In the last 10 years we've won 6 League Cups and 2 FA Cups

Been known as that for eons bud.....long, long before the oil money arrived. You can call it Emptihad South if you like but it doesn't have the same ring to it. ????

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

So long since you've been there I reckon it was the old Wembley you are talking about. Scousers do know to go to the new one don't they ????

Yep...been there,  won there.  And on our way there this year.????

Bloody hell......An astonishingly good first 30 minutes, followed by an unbelievably bad last 60! We started like a house on fire, pinging the ball around first time and pressing brilliantly. The best half hour I've seen us play without the AfCoN guys for many a year!???? Then, we took our foot off the gas and everything went pear-shaped. Sloppy in possession and slow and lethargic when not! 

VVD and Robbo were ok defensively but Matip had his 2nd mare in a few days and TAA was quieter and quieter the longer the game wore on (did he have a knock I wonder?). A very nervous second half for any watching Reds fans. Thank God for Alisson (MoM by a street) who at least played the full 90 and made some cracking saves. A special mention to 'our Friend' Kevin, who was as bad as ever, but for once gave his worst decisions in our favour. The penalty was an absolute joke! Yes, there was contact with the keeper but it was instigated by Jota after he miscontrolled the ball. Suppose it balances out the clear one he should have got against Spurs..... but it was an awful decision.

Anyway, three more goals and three more points so job done.....Just!????

2 hours ago, wilai said:

A special mention to 'our Friend' Kevin, who was as bad as ever, but for once gave his worst decisions in our favour. The penalty was an absolute joke! 

Yep farcical pen, and look at us, 2 grown ups admitting when we get a penalty undeservedly. That is something you don't see on the City or United thread. ????

8 hours ago, wilai said:

Can use the three dots, then edit or hide. But don't see why you have to as it was a perfectly valid point.????

Yeah, I thought I had the ref's name wrong when I actually had it right all along. That <deleted> cost me points!

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Mane scores as Senegal go through to last 8 of AfCoN. Taken off with concussion and visits hospital. Looked ok in pics but no idea of the 'Protocol' at this tournament. Salah plays tonight in last 16 game.

Sounds like you are almost excited about your star players playing in this tin pot tournament on terrible pitches.

I'd be wanting them home ASAP

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Mane scores as Senegal go through to last 8 of AfCoN. Taken off with concussion and visits hospital. Looked ok in pics but no idea of the 'Protocol' at this tournament. Salah plays tonight in last 16 game.

Sounds like you are almost excited about your star players playing in this tin pot tournament on terrible pitches.

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I do want them back.....but the comp is very important to the players. On a par with the Euros as far as they are concerned.

On 1/26/2022 at 8:52 AM, wilai said:

Mo scored the winning penalty (Bailly missed for IC) as Egypt beat Ivory Coast 5-4 to join Sadio in the last 8. Egypt play Morocco whilst Senegal will meet Equatorial Guinea. Both games on Sunday.

22 hours ago, wilai said:

Mo scored the winning penalty (Bailly missed for IC) as Egypt beat Ivory Coast 5-4 to join Sadio in the last 8. Egypt play Morocco whilst Senegal will meet Equatorial Guinea. Both games on Sunday.

In fairness, nobody has really missed their players that much during this AFCON have they. With it being winter break and FA Cup etc it's been less painful than in the past

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

In fairness, nobody has really missed their players that much during this AFCON have they. With it being winter break and FA Cup etc it's been less painful than in the past

Up to now it hasn't been too much of a problem i agree. I think the final is scheduled for Sunday 6th Feb (2am 7th Thai time) whereas we have Leicester on the following Thursday (Fri 02:45) so that match might be affected depending on who gets to the final. 

We than have Burnley on 13th swiftly followed by Inter away on the 16th so hopefully no injuries if either of our boys make the Final/3rd place games.

Alisson was red carded TWICE for Brazil v Ecuador last night......Both were rescinded following VAR checks. Spurs' Emerson and the Ecuadorian keeper also sent off in the game.. ( Seen the footage neither of Alisson's were justified...he won the ball both times, although his foot was high for the first one.)

6 minutes ago, wilai said:

Alisson was red carded TWICE for Brazil v Ecuador last night......Both were rescinded following VAR checks. Spurs' Emerson and the Ecuadorian keeper also sent off in the game.. ( Seen the footage neither of Alisson's were justified...he won the ball both times, although his foot was high for the first one.)

Yeah, credit the ref for getting both right after taking a look at the monitor (unlike our "Friend").

UK press now catching up the Columbians.... Beginning to look like we have beaten Spurs for Diaz. 37M initial fee plus addons. 

Mainly plays on the left (cutting inside) but can also play on the right so good cover for Mane and Salah. Didn't do much against us (then again who does?????) but very skillful and highly rated.

8 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Yours is home already? Or golfing in Dubai with Liverpool players?

4 hours ago, wilai said:

UK press now catching up the Columbians.... Beginning to look like we have beaten Spurs for Diaz. 37M initial fee plus addons. 

Mainly plays on the left (cutting inside) but can also play on the right so good cover for Mane and Salah. Didn't do much against us (then again who does?????) but very skillful and highly rated.

Signing a player from the Portuguese League can go either way. There is a massive quality gap.

But then look at someone like Werner who was proven in one of the top leagues.

The truth is we don't know.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Signing a player from the Portuguese League can go either way. There is a massive quality gap.

But then look at someone like Werner who was proven in one of the top leagues.

The truth is we don't know.

I've seen enough to know he is quality so will be well pleased if/when the deal is complete.  He was joint top scorer in the 20/21 Copa America (along with a certain L Messi) and I'm sure Mr BJ will pay testament to his dribbling/finishing abilities. The Portuguese League obviously isn't as strong as some, but a lot of players from there do well over here as you know yourself. The likes of Porto, Benfica and Sporting are top flight European club sides so he is used to playing at the top level.

Archived