The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Other than a few minutes here and there, that was as dominant display as you'll see anywhere. Jorginho and Kovacic knocked the b*****ks out of their midfield from the outset. It got to a point where they started showboating and messing around which gave Watford hope in the last 10 minutes. But, even with that dominance, chances have to be buried and, when they're not, there was always hope for them.

Emerson took a while to get going but was much better in the second half while Batshuayi looked a handful as soon as he came on.

11 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Looks like Jorginho has come a long way from last season

He looks much fitter now and doesn't dally on the ball too much. He can thank Kovacic for that because, whenever Jorginho needs an outlet, he's always there.

6 hours ago, oldgit said:

I've got a memory like a sieve, bloody useless at this type of thing which is why I never joined a pub quiz team. Premier League only and not before Max?

Premier league only .

Just put every/any country that you can think of in the answer box

What a game! Had everything. Thrills and spills and a referee who must be a comedian in his spare time. At 4-1 down, I would normally turn the TV off and stomp off to bed but, no...not this season. With Frank at the helm, this squad doesn't give up. Ajax dealt us a lesson in crisp, one touch passing and movement in the first half. We got agitated and certain players lost their discipline. The second half was different with more energy, pace and our passing was better. Reece James coming on gave us dynamism and pace in attack. Very unfortunate not to get the win with a dubious handball by Tammy but I was convinced Dave's touch in was offside, so all in all no complaints. 

• Like 2

Never a dull moment at the Bridge.....or anywhere we play come to that. Draw was probably a fair result all things consider,now we must get something from the Valencia game.....

Might get to see Reece in midfield at the weekend if neither Kante or Mount are fully fit and with Jorginho suspended.....Rb Rwb midfield.....this lad can play anywhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Never a dull moment at the Bridge.....or anywhere we play come to that. Draw was probably a fair result all things consider,now we must get something from the Valencia game.....

Might get to see Reece in midfield at the weekend if neither Kante or Mount are fully fit and with Jorginho suspended.....Rb Rwb midfield.....this lad can play anywhere.

Bloody hell! Never realised Jorginho was suspended Keith. Last season I would have been doing cartwheels, but this term he's been different class. Palace have a slow midfield and slow centre backs (very quick going forward though) so, get an early goal against them and they'll come on to us. How Townsend isn't playing regularly for them is beyond me. Reece has GOT to start. I'd stick him in goal if it came to it, such is my contempt for that log of wood between the posts, we have at the moment. Kovacic has been our best player this season, but the bloke looks exhausted at the end of each game. He's going to need a rest soon or he'll collapse in a heap one day. Come on Kante, earn your wages!

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

Bloody hell! Never realised Jorginho was suspended Keith. Last season I would have been doing cartwheels, but this term he's been different class. Palace have a slow midfield and slow centre backs (very quick going forward though) so, get an early goal against them and they'll come on to us. How Townsend isn't playing regularly for them is beyond me. Reece has GOT to start. I'd stick him in goal if it came to it, such is my contempt for that log of wood between the posts, we have at the moment. Kovacic has been our best player this season, but the bloke looks exhausted at the end of each game. He's going to need a rest soon or he'll collapse in a heap one day. Come on Kante, earn your wages!

Yes mate it has come full circle with jorginho,under Frank he is a new man and will be missed. Kovacic leaves thucck all on that pitch and probably couldn,t peel a banana when he comes off.....as opposed to Alonso who never breaks sweat.

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching the game last night. Is Kante injured?

Why were Chelsea unable to sell those seats to their own fans?

One thing I noticed, when they went 4-1 down, fans stayed with them, normally at 4-1 down, fans go mental, must be encouraging that for the players.

Not impressed with that keeper, is that the guy that refused to be subbed last season?

That Glenn Hoddle talks some <deleted>. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hackjam said:

One thing I noticed, when they went 4-1 down, fans stayed with them, normally at 4-1 down, fans go mental, must be encouraging that for the players.

Not impressed with that keeper, is that the guy that refused to be subbed last season?

Kante has been injured but he was on the bench last night. Yes, Hoddle twitters on while others have gone on to another topic. He does like adding "I really do" at the end of sentences, as though giving credence to whatever he's seen, even if the rest of the pundits are scratching their heads in bewilderment.

2 hours ago, hackjam said:

Yes that keeper(Kepa) is the plonker who would not go off in the league cup final. Some of us are not impressed at all with him,does not command even his 6 yd area and last season reguarly punted the ball straight into touch or just gave it straight to the opposition.......a bargain at 75 million.

Should have kept Marcin Bulka (2nd/3rd choice at Psg)

13 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Yes that keeper(Kepa) is the plonker who would not go off in the league cup final. '

TBF , he was being taken off because he was injured and he was trying to tell the bench that his injury wasnt that bad that he needed to be substituted and thus didnt walk off .

Misunderstanding really

9 hours ago, jellydog said:

I see your boy Conte is at it again, this time with the Inter suits.

Sounds familiar.

From the Grauniad:

The Inter manger, Antonio Conte, has lambasted the directors of his club for poor planning after seeing his team squander a two-goal half-time lead in their 3-2 defeat at Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League.

The fiery coach repeated his complaint that his squad is too thin and players too inexperienced to battle on two fronts and also suggested that club directors should face the television cameras as well as himself.

“Some important mistakes have been made at the planning stage, we can’t play both the Champions League and Serie A with such a small squad,” said Conte after Tuesday’s match. “I’m tired of saying the same things over and over again, perhaps they could come here over and say something. I hope that this will help them understand a few things.” There was no immediate reaction from the club leadership.

Conte conceded that he felt like a broken record as he kept complaining about the crowded fixture list and explaining that Inter are still in the early stage of building a new team. “They tell me that I should smile more on television,” he added. “But I always end up saying the same things, about the growth process, about taking it step by step.

“The lads are giving everything and going at full pelt and I can’t ask them for more than that,” he said, before complaining about their lack of experience. We are talking about players who, apart from Diego Godin, have never won anything. Who do we turn to? Nicolo Barella who has come from Cagliari? Or (Stefano) Sensi, who came from Sassuolo?”

Conte made similar complaints when he was coach at Juventus, where he won three successive Serie A titles but struggled in the Champions League, famously saying that “you can’t eat at a €100 restaurant with a €10 note.”

His comments are likely to raise eyebrows as Inter spent more than €150m on new signings during the transfer window. However, they also let a number of key players go including Mauro Icardi, their leading scorer for each of the last five seasons, and midfielder Radja Nainggolan.

Chinese-owned Inter, who have not won any major silverware since 2011, are second in Serie A, one point behind leaders Juventus. Tuesday’s defeat left them third in Champions League Group F, three points behind Borussia Dortmund.

“We need to keep a low profile,” added Conte. “Our position in Serie A should not allow us to forget our problems.”

Quite an attacking line up with Kante, Emerson and James coming in. I just hope we don't get too cute in possession, and leave the centre backs exposed as Palace are a dangerous team away from home, quick to counter especially with Zaha and Townsend on either flank.

• Like 2

A very important 3 points (as Arsenal and Totts .dropped points????)to cement a C/L place

Would never have thought at the beginning of Lamps reign that yday.s back 4 would have started.

And Dave our captain who has started in seventy odd matchs straight  having a rest.

Tammy another goal and Captain Amercia a header to seal the match

Willian continues his good form under Lamp.s astute man  to man management.

TBH i am at loss to name Lamp.s starting line up . as he is becoming a Tinkerman largely due to feirce  loyal competition between his players .

Do feel no player presently has a nailed on position in Lamp.s starting 11 each week????

Go The Chelsea.s Babes

Edited by deej
  • Like 2

Game of opinions i know.....but i don,t think we can better that back 4, I,ve always had Reece for the future in-front of Dave and Emerson in-front of Alonso,Tomori is just so solid and pace in abundance, cant really split a fully fit Rudiger from Zouma,but after Zouma,s bad injury and having to play "hoof it" football for 3 years at both Stoke and Everton and then having to learn how to play out from the back for us....well he keeps his place for me.  I have Marc Ghuehi in-front of Christensen so imo our defence is solid.

Only a fully fit and back to his best Loftus Cheek gets into that starting 11 and Cho has to do a little bit more to force Willian out......just imho.

Nice time for a break...hopefully no new Injuries and then......City.

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Game of opinions i know.....but i don,t think we can better that back 4, I,ve always had Reece for the future in-front of Dave and Emerson in-front of Alonso,Tomori is just so solid and pace in abundance, cant really split a fully fit Rudiger from Zouma,but after Zouma,s bad injury and having to play "hoof it" football for 3 years at both Stoke and Everton and then having to learn how to play out from the back for us....well he keeps his place for me.  I have Marc Ghuehi in-front of Christensen so imo our defence is solid.

Only a fully fit and back to his best Loftus Cheek gets into that starting 11 and Cho has to do a little bit more to force Willian out......just imho.

Nice time for a break...hopefully no new Injuries and then......City.

Not necessarily on this forum, but the number of people that think Rudiger and Loftus -Cheek will come marching back in and fit seamlessly into the line up, as though they haven't been away, is astonishing. Both have had bad injuries and will need three or four games to get anywhere near their best, after long lay offs. You could see Kante was clearing away the cobwebs yesterday in a solid but fairly low key introduction after injury. 

• Like 2