The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Good points raised by you two usual suspects. 

For me the difference is that I'm actually enjoying watching Chelsea again after a couple of years when I frequently could not be bothered to stay up for games, in fact it's the first time in a few years that I really "wished I was there".

The extra game and travel to and from Istanbul was certainly a PITA. Pulisic's lack of spark may well be down to his lack of a break this year. It would be nice to think that he'll come back after the break a little refreshed but if he's involved for long spells against Mexico on the 7th and Uruguay on the 11th that's not going to be the case. The Uruguay game is in Missouri, a twelve hour flight from London so the earliest he'd get home would be the afternoon of the twelfth and we play away at Wolves on the 14th followed by Valencia in the CL on the Tuesday and Liverpool at home on the Sunday.

At least Willian showed he's getting back to fitness and form, his showing was a marked improvement on his admittedly poor previous outing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Good points raised by you two usual suspects. 

For me the difference is that I'm actually enjoying watching Chelsea again after a couple of years when I frequently could not be bothered to stay up for games, in fact it's the first time in a few years that I really "wished I was there".

The extra game and travel to and from Istanbul was certainly a PITA. Pulisic's lack of spark may well be down to his lack of a break this year. It would be nice to think that he'll come back after the break a little refreshed but if he's involved for long spells against Mexico on the 7th and Uruguay on the 11th that's not going to be the case. The Uruguay game is in Missouri, a twelve hour flight from London so the earliest he'd get home would be the afternoon of the twelfth and we play away at Wolves on the 14th followed by Valencia in the CL on the Tuesday and Liverpool at home on the Sunday.

At least Willian showed he's getting back to fitness and form, his showing was a marked improvement on his admittedly poor previous outing.

With all that travelling etc., I 'll be surprised if Frank can get Pulisic out of bed! Looking at the various injuries and bans websites, it looks like Hudson -Odoi, Rudiger, Kante and Pedro all have a good chance to return against Wolves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:12 PM, oldgit said:

I like any pundit that has an opinion and isn't afraid to voice it, even if it means not towing the party line. I can't stand the communal <deleted> licking that goes on, when they are all together in a sort of 'brains trust', hence why I have no time for Sky's Soccer Saturday with Jeff 'Mother Hen' Stelling clucking around his brood feeding them the obvious. I like

Souness, Sutton, Birtles and Ugo Ehiogu. Maybe I could put up with Carragher if I could understand a word he was talking about. Peter Drury thinks he's the Oscar Wilde of commentating. Andy Gray never tires in telling everybody how good he is.

Iv'e always had you down as a clever chap OG but in listening to someone from their grave you certainly have surpassed yourself ????

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, oldgit said:

The international break has come at just the right time for team, as most of the players are looking tired and leggy. The pace and acceleration was missing. Azpilicueta had a horror game, getting turned inside out by a couple of journeymen. He's usually not THAT bad, is he carrying an injury or is Frank's demands for intensifying the play, taking it's toll? Pulisic seems to have lost the spark that he showed against Liverpool and Barkley is just pedestrian in midfield. Kovacic was our best midfielder on the day, making runs and covering the grass so, it was no surprise to me that he was legless towards the end and was replaced. Sheff. Utd. are a hard working, limited team so to give up a two goal lead against this mob is disappointing. Now Frank has time to refresh the squad, get Rudiger and Kante playing again, and come back revitalised.

Blood ell og, if they are looking tired and leggy after 4 games what are they going to be like after 34 games even with some rotation ?

20 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Blood ell og, if they are looking tired and leggy after 4 games what are they going to be like after 34 games even with some rotation ?

My point exactly. The fitness levels that Frank demands, no doubt mirrored in the training regime, has put demands on some of these players that they've never encountered before. Hopefully for us, they emerge at the end of the 'tunnel' in much better shape.

• Like 1

Good news on the Pulisic front, while he was one of only three outfield players to play for the full 90 minutes against Mexico, he has chosen to (and been allowed to) return to England early, before their midweek game against Uruguay, which he will therefore miss.

• Like 2

Wolves are in their element when they sit back and counter attack. They have a good record against top teams at home because they're organized and break quickly. Their achilles heel is their defence though. Boly is their best defender but he's banned for this game. Coady is ordinary and Bennett is even worse.

No Kante which is a blow for us but, we can win this game if we don't fall into the trap of thinking we are City or Liverpool. Let them come to us and see how they are with space behind their defensive line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldgit said:

Wolves are in their element when they sit back and counter attack. They have a good record against top teams at home because they're organized and break quickly. Their achilles heel is their defence though. Boly is their best defender but he's banned for this game. Coady is ordinary and Bennett is even worse.

No Kante which is a blow for us but, we can win this game if we don't fall into the trap of thinking we are City or Liverpool. Let them come to us and see how they are with space behind their defensive line.

You could equaly have described our Coady as that. Interestingly(?) John played for seven clubs, six of them being in Ireland, spending just a couple of years with us in the English leagues. I was there when he scored on his debut against the not so super hoops, he got our goal in a 1-1 draw.

Coady.jpg

Never dull watching our games,great entertainment. Hope Emerson is fit for next Sunday as Alonso imo was truly dreadful,3 times beaten on defending crosses in the opening 6 minutes,trying to show someone on the outside instead of tackling them,both there goals came from his errors imo, how he ever got capped by Spain is beyond me...he just cannot defend. Tomori made the odd mistake but he is young and this is the premier league and Wolves are no mugs going forward.

Mason continues to impress with his free kicks and corners and is rightly ahead of Willian in that department (who imo offered very little throughout the 96 mins). Also another great finish by Mason for his goal and was unlucky not to have scored earlier. Tammy deserves all the credit and praise that comes his way....an excellent hat trick. Credit Frank for changing the system and making good substitutions.

No predictions from me,definitely not getting carried away, just in case some "Red faced loon" comes back on here with his needle and starts "injecting" us.:wub:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Started well hasn't he your new manager?

Going to be a very tasty season if you carry on with this form....goals galore.

God help me I'm starting to like Chelsea a little bit. Nice to see the Tammy kid top of the pops after the ugly racial <deleted>. The best way to shut up creeps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2019 at 2:48 AM, jellydog said:

God help me I'm starting to like Chelsea a little bit. Nice to see the Tammy kid top of the pops after the ugly racial <deleted>. The best way to shut up creeps.

I am sure that they were oppo supporters , its become quite common recently , twitter posters pretending to be supporters and giving abuse.

Most likely scousers or gooners

• Like 2

23 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Never dull watching our games,great entertainment. Hope Emerson is fit for next Sunday as Alonso imo was truly dreadful,3 times beaten on defending crosses in the opening 6 minutes,trying to show someone on the outside instead of tackling them,both there goals came from his errors imo, how he ever got capped by Spain is beyond me...he just cannot defend. Tomori made the odd mistake but he is young and this is the premier league and Wolves are no mugs going forward.

Mason continues to impress with his free kicks and corners and is rightly ahead of Willian in that department (who imo offered very little throughout the 96 mins). Also another great finish by Mason for his goal and was unlucky not to have scored earlier. Tammy deserves all the credit and praise that comes his way....an excellent hat trick. Credit Frank for changing the system and making good substitutions.

No predictions from me,definitely not getting carried away, just in case some "Red faced loon" comes back on here with his needle and starts "injecting" us.:wub:

I didn't get to see the game live as it was party time for me and the missus! Thanks for the summary Keith. One question, how did Azpilicueta play in his wing back role? He would have had that greyhound Traore to contend with.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:29 PM, Blue Muton said:

You could equaly have described our Coady as that. Interestingly(?) John played for seven clubs, six of them being in Ireland, spending just a couple of years with us in the English leagues. I was there when he scored on his debut against the not so super hoops, he got our goal in a 1-1 draw.

Coady.jpg

Blimey BM, that's one from the vaults! I must admit, I wouldn't know him if he fell on top of me, so I googled his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldgit said:

I didn't get to see the game live as it was party time for me and the missus! Thanks for the summary Keith. One question, how did Azpilicueta play in his wing back role? He would have had that greyhound Traore to contend with.

Party time Og, shud have told the missus to go on her own (who wears the trousers in your house) after all your team shud come before a party, still I suppose everyone to their own.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

He done okay really...he had Rudiger to back him up in the 1st half and very little came down his flank in the 2nd half.

Traore meanwhile was last seen reading these threads before the kick off and realized that we all hold Alonso in such high regard for his blinding pace ability too overlap and always looking to pass the ball forward,so he mugged us off and targeted him instead of Dave.......need i say more.???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Comedy gold the "Penalty". Willian who had a pretty decent 1st half and one really bad brain fart moment in the 2nd where he should of put Pedro in, should be ashamed of himself imo for putting added pressure on Barkley for the pen....spoil brattish behaviour that did not help.

Still a defeat is not the end of the world. Tomori had a great game in his 1st Champions league outing and was the stand out for me along with Willians 1st 45 mins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Comedy gold the "Penalty". Willian who had a pretty decent 1st half and one really bad brain fart moment in the 2nd where he should of put Pedro in, should be ashamed of himself imo for putting added pressure on Barkley for the pen....spoil brattish behaviour that did not help.

Still a defeat is not the end of the world. Tomori had a great game in his 1st Champions league outing and was the stand out for me along with Willians 1st 45 mins.

Yes, Barkley made it obvious that he was the man for this penalty, so Abraham and Jorginho backed him up and let him get on with it, unlike Willian who questioned him at least twice while he was spotting the ball. He's a senior player so Willian should have backed him as well. In fact, I wouldn't have minded seeing any of those four take it, it just happened to be Barkley this time.

<deleted> happens.

The game hinged on the injury to Mount, which should have been a red card, as we were looking lively up to that point. After that, we took time to get back into our stride. Willian was back to his best in the first half, scything runs and dancing around players at will. Valencia looked neat and tidy on the ball without looking particularly dangerous. I reckon we'll get our revenge at their place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldgit said:

Yes, Barkley made it obvious that he was the man for this penalty, so Abraham and Jorginho backed him up and let him get on with it, unlike Willian who questioned him at least twice while he was spotting the ball. He's a senior player so Willian should have backed him as well. In fact, I wouldn't have minded seeing any of those four take it, it just happened to be Barkley this time.

<deleted> happens.

The game hinged on the injury to Mount, which should have been a red card, as we were looking lively up to that point. After that, we took time to get back into our stride. Willian was back to his best in the first half, scything runs and dancing around players at will. Valencia looked neat and tidy on the ball without looking particularly dangerous. I reckon we'll get our revenge at their place.

Yep any one of 4 could have stepped up......think there will be a definite pecking order from now on so hopefully never repeated again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Plenty of promise in his early years. Once touted as an England saviour.

Becoming evident why Everton got rid.

25 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

He did look really promising but hasn't fully developed as expected, though he's  considered good enough to be part of England's 11. I'm not sure he will get better than he is currently. Supposedly City were chasing him to replace Yaya but luckily got KdB instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldgit said:

<deleted> happens.

One other comment to add....Dave is the "Captain" and just like last season with the Kepa debacle against City...he should have stepped in and made the final decision.....no doubt that JT would have done on both ocassions.

Frank Lampard stated after the game that Ross Barkley is the penalty taker when he’s on the pitch so there shouldn’t have been any discussion whatsoever [emoji2959][emoji2959]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As for Ross Barkley.... a leopard never changes it,s spots. Capable of slick play good movement good dead ball free kicks etc etc but as the Aussie,s would say "that bloke is totally thuckkked in the head" and capable of gifting the ball away under no pressure whatsoever and over hitting or under hitting passes....you name it he,s got it. Rarely he can he play 90 minutes without at least one monumental thucck up. All imho of course

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrTrip said:

Frank Lampard stated after the game that Ross Barkley is the penalty taker when he’s on the pitch so there shouldn’t have been any discussion whatsoever emoji2959.pngemoji2959.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn,t know that ....so shame on them all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

It was more a case of Barkley wanting to leave, by running his contract down, rather than Everton turfing him out, hence the reason why we got him for buttons.

• Like 2