Tourists "flooding into Pattaya" highlights New Year boom: But where's the evidence?

webfact

I am in Pattaya at the moment and the shopping centres are staggeringly empty, including the vast new Terminal 21. See a lot more Indians in my hotel than Chinese (the opposite of last year) and get the impression they are not as big spenders as some Chinese..

• Like 2

Another joke very funny 

if you are talking about the Chinese and the Indians then yes they are all over the place blocking the roads and pavement s trying to sell you crap shirts and suits or disgusting curry 

As for real tourists who spend money in Thailand at 40 bht to the pound no wonder the town is empty

i feel sad for the everyone who has investment in the booming town ????????????????

Edited by Cobby
Spelling
  • Like 2

I am in Pattaya at the moment and the shopping centres are staggeringly empty, including the vast new Terminal 21. See a lot more Indians in my hotel than Chinese (the opposite of last year) and get the impression they are not as big spenders as some Chinese..
At least the Indians don't behave like barn yard animals so that's a plus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Go back ten years or more and you would not get a bar stool at this time of year.....and there where a lot more around then.

I would expect there to be more bars now than 10 years ago, surely there was nothing much inland from 3rd Rd.

People are complaining here in Phuket also around Rawai, I was looking the other week on a popular booking site we use and it said booking inquires are down by 62% and 35% more properties are available this year.

We have not had any inquiries for a couple of weeks which is very unusual we normally get everyday something

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

The Pattaya News' owners also own over two dozen tourist-related businesses in Pattaya. It is in their interest to paint a rosey picture of Pattaya. If they were real journalists they would divulge their holdings and/or recuse themselves from publishing tourist related stories. But then that would defeat their whole purpose of publishing the Pattaya News. 

if you think people from Washington Post NYT do not put their

interests and their tribes in the first place in which everything

is about money and not much about reliable journalism...
then you are in deep error

• Like 2

I have been a couple of times in the past month....not exactly heaving with tourists. Bars not really full despite some with heavy discounts and happy hours. Not even a lot of coaches tours either really.

I didn't book a hotel and got one on spec easily in a good location for a fair price when I arrived, one was cheaper than when I stayed there about 3 months ago in low season which surprised me....I have never ever paid them less than 3500 and they only asked for 2800 (don't ask, I had my wife with me and so stayed in decent places).

It is difficult to judge over 10 days or so but I would say the season was only average....and the only flooding was Soi Bua Khao after some rain.

• Like 2

Can some reasonably intelligent Thai individual in TAT not understand that the moment you say a place is gonna be full ... ha... people will say , oh.. it is will be more expensive for accommodation, I'll give it a miss or not bother to check .. I know the truth , some some intending tourists might actually be put off. Lucky them... Not me, I love the kip. 

56 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

The Brits are not coming and they are not welcome by all accounts. The pound is in full flow like a turd down the sewer. May is making a mess of everything. She has no support and this is reflected in no tourists from the UK. The Chinese were wisely warned off by the several disasters due to a lack of safety standards and absolutely no control over safety especially at sea but in general everywhere in Thailand. 

From what I understand many continental Europeans aren't coming either. Because life is becoming just to damn expensive in EU countries.

• Like 1