Four-step plan issued to rid Thailand of garbage

rooster59

Four-step plan issued to rid Thailand of garbage

By The Nation

6eb63f4930fe3078dfbb7d5debeff774.jpeg

File photo

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has issued four guidelines for related agencies to achieve the country's goal of eliminating 7.7 million tonnes of garbage within next year.

9568e85848766c4381a8776b5fa53705.jpeg

File photo

PCD director-general Pralong Damrongthai said on Friday that the drive to rid the country of 7.7 million tonnes of cumulative garbage was part of the National Solid Waste and Hazardous Waste Management Master Plan (2016 - 2021).

Prlong said his office has issued four guidelines for local administrative bodies and related agencies to effectively manage garbage and waste and minimise the negative impacts on people's health. 

First, the guideline for selection of appropriate technology for garbage and waste management includes various methods, such as a sanitary landfill, a semi-aerobic landfill, a fermentation for biogas production, a fermentation for fertiliser, a refuse derived fuel technology, and an incineration/combustion system. 

Agencies would choose a suitable method to dispose of garbage as per the amount ranging from no more than 15 tonnes a day to more than 700 tonnes a day and other factors such as location, environmental impacts and community acceptance, he added.

Second, a guideline focusing on the incineration/combustion method, which will be divided into four groups; incinerators with a capacity to burn less than 3 tonnes of garbage a day; incinerators with a capacity to burn 3-30 tonnes of garbage a day; incinerators with a capacity to burn 30-50 tonnes of garbage a day; and incinerators with a capacity to burn more than 50 tonnes of garbage a day.

ee9e4a516ee0117fb553129f4ed66123.jpeg

File photo

Third, a guideline on underlying characteristics for refuse derived fuel (RDF) made from garbage in communities would detail the physical attributions (such as net calorific value, moisture, and bulk density) and the chemical attributions (such as chlorine amount, ash, and mercury/cadmium/heavy metal amounts) as well as methods for sample collecting, analysis and testing and transporting. 

And last, a guideline on basic design and construction of a community garbage-separating and processing for the RDF production and measures to prevent and reduce negative impacts on the environment, Pralong said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30360402

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-16

17 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

incinerators with a capacity to burn less than 3 tonnes of garbage a day; incinerators with a capacity to burn 3-30 tonnes of garbage a day; incinerators with a capacity to burn 30-50 tonnes of garbage a day; and incinerators with a capacity to burn more than 50 tonnes of garbage a day.

Burn it! That's the answer. Using incinerators like the one on Koh Samui? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lantern said:

They need to start in the schools. Education is the start.

What did you read?  Why would they need to start in schools to make more incinerators?  Education is not the start for these projects, the technology exists, the start will be investment in infrastructure. 

Next time try reading past the headline before commenting.

• Confused 1

The problem is that the incenerators will probably don't have enough filters and if they have lack of investment and maintenance will make them not work in the end.

They never seem to want to pay money for things here only make a profit at all cost.

So in theory a good idea build more incinerators but without good checks on their maintenance and good funding nothing will happen.

• Like 2

Well this what we like Here at TV. com, entertainment Thai style. Grab a few mil  for a garbage disposal plan,  direct it stait to the local Mercedes dealer buy some property some baubles for the Mia Noi and then the bit we like, a few years of pitiful blithering excuses as to why the garbage problem remains.

Chose your emoji now.????

33 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Here’s How Sweden is Recycling 99% of its Waste maybe they should take a leaf from them 

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/sweden-garbage-waste-recycling-energy/

The proven knowledge exists in many countries but unfortunately, Thailand won't, as a rule, adopt proven technology or outside help. They'd rather try and "re-invent the wheel". Face !

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 300sd said:

The talk is cheap. Learning how to act here, and sustain the act, seems to be the problem. 

Indeed, these guys are great at making and pronouncing high-sounding fancy plans. But woefully inept at actually following thru effectively on anything in their plans.

As Thailand has already shown, incineration isn't a panacea solution here. They can't seem to manage the technology, don't seem to pay much attention to the required refuse separation requirements pre-burning, and almost certainly pay little heed to the resulting air emissions/air filtering requirements needed to prevent garbage incineration plans from simply changing a garbage problem into a toxic air emissions problem.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Here’s How Sweden is Recycling 99% of its Waste maybe they should take a leaf from them 

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/sweden-garbage-waste-recycling-energy/

The irony is that Sweden is so good at recycling that they do not produce enough waste themselves anymore  -  They now import garbage from other countries and make money on recycling to keep the recycling plants going.

Garbage and especially plastic  disposal costs money, and money talks. The CP's, Unilevers and P&G's of the world are allowed to cut production costs and pack their products in environmentally damaging materials, all in favor of the mighty shareholder. What we need is a different mindset: the polluter and beneficiaries pay for disposal. Plastic packaging should be brought back to the retailers and be processed by them. That means that the cost of many 'convenience' products will increase, unless people bring their own containers.

For years now, Im taking my plastics back to the retailers. When I go to Makro, I use their garbage bins, 7-11 dito. We refuse to burn.

Organic waste, we wish to have more of it. Our chickens eat it all.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cooked said:

About 30 years ago the biggest cellulose factory in Switzerland spent millions (of Francs) on a sulphur filter. Sulphur emissions over the country were reduced by 80% almost over night. Same story for various incinerators. I can't see Thailand investing in filters, they can't even find money for beach cleaning machines, resorting to asking tourists to help clean the beaches. 

In our village we were positively instructed to burn rubbish in the gardens and NOT to take it to the neighbouring towns (where rubbish bins we had used for years are systematically being removed). 

I have seen school buses stopping so that a kid could throw rubbish on to the side of a road that has "please don't tip rubbish" signs along it.

Hopeless situation unless they start with education.

It also starts at home where my so and my wife have been taught by me NOT to throw the trash anywhere except a trash bin.

I works with my son but less so with my wife. She needs further training.

Last week a soi dog left me a present of a babies pamper torn up and left on the lawn. I have no idea which dog and AFAIK nobody uses pampers around here. The only possibility I can think of is that perhaps somebody was staying in a resort with a baby ( we have 3 within a 1 km stretch) and it came from there.