New Year alcohol checkpoints in Pattaya - Thai netizens criticize the RTP!

webfact

New Year alcohol checkpoints in Pattaya - Thai netizens criticize the RTP!

6pm.jpg

video screenshot

Pattaya news published a story about the Pattaya police setting up alcohol checkpoints to prevent accidents caused by drink driving during the "Seven Deadly Days" at the resort. 

But jaded Thai netizens commenting on the story just used it as an opportunity to slam the Royal Thai Police. 

Few seemed concerned by the potential for accidents - the Thais were more worried about other matters. 

Bom JA spoke for many when she said referencing the cops: "I think you are more dangerous than the potential accidents". 

Thawatchai Nasawang chipped in: "You lot are more dangerous every day of the year".

Thossaphon Janthong thought the positioning of the first checkpoint deep in the sois in the South Pattaya area was all wrong.

He said: "Why not set it up on Sukhumvit Road? Down in the soi they are all tourists". 

Pissanu A Kheaonga was worried about the adverse affect on tourism at New Year. He thought the cops should lay off the tourists who were only having fun.

What's the problem with a bit of drinking, after all. 

Khun Nai Teunsai dismissed the news story entirely saying the checkpoints were always there. The story just made it look like the cops were doing something for New Year. 

While others worried that blowing into an alcohol testing device would spread germs. Pakorn Techasawatwit was one of several who thought he might catch the 'flu by sharing other people's infections.

Pattaya News said that Pol Capt Chamnan Chaisit had set up the first checkpoint. Other checkpoints including this one would check Thai and foreign tourist drivers around the resort over the December 27th to January 2nd holiday period. 

The checkpoints were designed to stop accidents, said the Thai media. 

Source: Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-28
  • Thanks 1

how many farang car drivers in pattaya ? less than 1% i bet, thais drink and drive every single day, and once again we will see when the stats are out that most accidents were caused by alcohol, not brake failure, wet road etc etc, see, there i go again thinking like a Thai, ha ha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

Pass the breathalyzer and feel free to run red lights, drive on the sidewalk, drive 150km/h down Suk while texting, make a right turn from the far left lane, sleep at the wheel, drive with faulty brakes.. etc etc..  I feel so much safer.

Both should be penalised of course... sounds a bit like your against alcohol checks. Many accidents here are often caused by alcohol, just look at the stats they give out after the holidays of how many were caused by alcohol. 

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, action said:

Pass the breathalyzer and feel free to run red lights, drive on the sidewalk, drive 150km/h down Suk while texting, make a right turn from the far left lane, sleep at the wheel, drive with faulty brakes.. etc etc..  I feel so much safer.

Which is why more then any country in the world driving defensively should be the mindset.

In a car or especially a motorbike, you really have to have your head on a swivel.  Always looking for the other guy.

I left Pattaya for the week.  This week and Songkran I cannot tolerate any longer.

Too much craziness and I am just too old and boring. 

Edited by bkk6060
  • Sad 1

Stop accidents, get real, it is about taking money by whatever means, be it fines or some extortion. The people caught will not be banned from driving. If they pay up at the checkpoint, they can drive home. If they are unfortunate enough to end up at the station, they will pay numerous times and then be able to drive later. 

I have no problem with arresting people who are drinking and driving, but guess who will be doing it after they have made a lot of money and the peak season is behind us!

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Anyone who complains about what the police are trying to do here are clearly regular drink drivers themselves, and that should, in my opinion be enough for them to be arrested. Why else would you have a problem where police checkpoints are?? Its pathetic!!!

And if the Thais (and other locals for that matter) know where the checkpoints will be then they will just use an alterative route, probably through the back sois. The police should use random locations everyday including back streets. 

Nothing wrong with police checkpoints as long as they are not just there for the tea money.

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Anyone who complains about what the police are trying to do here are clearly regular drink drivers themselves, and that should, in my opinion be enough for them to be arrested. Why else would you have a problem where police checkpoints are?? Its pathetic!!!

And if the Thais (and other locals for that matter) know where the checkpoints will be then they will just use an alterative route, probably through the back sois. The police should use random locations everyday including back streets. 

Your first sentence lacks fact, merit or credibility. The rest of the post is overshadowed by the lack of thoughful editing before hitting the "post button".

9 hours ago, webfact said:

What's the problem with a bit of drinking, after all.

Here lies the problem!  Most Thais think it's OK to get pissed, then drive home!

I, for one, am pissed-off having to constantly avoid these numnuts.  A few park-and-rides wouldn't go amiss, with a police check on the way out.

Yes, I know!  TiT!

• Like 1

The road stops are designed to cause maximum hold-up to the traffic thus causing impatient drivers to become more impatient and anxious to make up lost time.  As an added bonus the police are on overtime rates + milking the tourists for all they can get.

Meanwhile just down the road there are six red light runners at every change of colour; every minute of every hour.

• Like 1

The  RTP.....damned if they do,  damned if they don't.

Would it suit better if the  item was headlined " The RTP  have announced there will be no Police presence anywhere over the New Year holiday period due to the recognition that the  general public are ignorant at best about the danger of  drinking and driving, driving at excess speed, overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic  on blind corners, etc etc. In addition drunken members of the  public have objected  to any interference in street brawls  involving  weapons of  various types as a part of  "celebrating" the incoming New Year. Therefore we concede and respect the public right to participate in  mayhem at will. "

Post Script: The  entire RTP also appreciate the act that they will no be obliged  to provide  any attempt to lower injury and  fatality and thus remove  any of the  danger to themselves usually present in performing  their duties. Happy New Year.????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was out on the darkside last night and didn't see a single police checkpoint. Did see a rather nasty motorbike accident on Soi Neurn Plub Wan though.

The OP has a fair point about putting checkpoints on Sukhumvit rather than the sois around Central Pattaya. I can navigate all over Pattaya without travelling on Sukhumvit.

I mean of course it's Pattaya and could be common practice to get bl*own naturally, but if the Pattaya Cops do not change the blowing support on the breathalyzer,  after each tested user, they will obviously contribute to spread some nasty stuff....

Edited by observer90210
  • Haha 1

I agree with the checkpoints to do breathalyzer checks. Most countries do and it does control the Drinking and Driving to a certain extent. However, in Thailand they often do a lot more looking for any violation to issue a ticket or to grease their palms. That needs to be controlled to make the Checkpoint effective and quicker.

I have been stopped in the past and on one occasion, they did not use a disposable mouthpiece to prevent transmission of disease. I refused until they replaced the disposable mouthpiece. No way of knowing if the new one was clean, but better then a wet one. No excuse for them not to use these disposable mouthpieces to show the public they are taking it seriously. 

breathalyzer replacable mouthpieces.jpg