Dual pricing: Popular Pattaya golf club overcharging foreigners

webfact

5 hours ago, johng said:

There are hardly any attractions that don't have the double (farang) pricing..

I remember the Pattaya Sheep Farm as 1 that didn't double charge......any others ???

Sanctuary of Truth at Wongamat charges everybody 500 Baht.

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

And while you are wasting your time, what about contacting all the other counties that offer different pricing for locals ?

Different concept "locals" as from that state or county....this dual pricing here is solely based on being a Foreigner. Under your thinking a Foreigner working and paying tax in Chonburi should get in cheaper than a Thai visiting from BKK

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given the way news travels around here, I somehow suspect that they are going to see a very significant drop in their foreign patronage, which they thoroughly deserve to lose.

The company known as Thailand will see a significant drop in foreign patronage if they force us to keep 800,00 in a Thai bank +compulsory health insurance + no justice in Thai courts in cases of farang v Thai.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Again someone that does not know the difference between local and nationality. 

A Thai from Changmai, would have a cheaper price then a foreigner who lives in Pattaya.

I am all for different prices for locals and people living in a country but not when its only based on nationality. 

Not that I would care one bit about golf.

As I said, many countries offer duel pricing for their own nationals (locals if you like) v foreigners 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Different concept "locals" as from that state or county....this dual pricing here is solely based on being a Foreigner. Under your thinking a Foreigner working and paying tax in Chonburi should get in cheaper than a Thai visiting from BKK

Not at all, 'locals' means people of whatever country one is in e.g. a Foreigner (does not matter if he is working and paying tax, he is still a foreigner) pays more than a Thai if that is what is required

15 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Hmmm....just wondering if foreigners who are Thailand residents get the Thai price.  This is often the case with places that have dual pricing.   

The above example simply states 'Foreigner' who gets to pay the higher price. Yes some other places will let a 'foreigner' pay Thai price if he shows a Thai driving licence or is accompanied by a Thai child. If you are accompanied by a Thai lady she may even be able to go get her 'commission', you pay the inflated price! Many no longer offer this reduction, I got caught out by a 'special' introductory price recently, already a 2 tier system. 

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, balo said:

I will tell my golfer friends to avoid this club .They should be ashamed of themselves. There are a lot of rich Thais playing golf, many of them are wealthier than the foreigners visiting. Why should they get away with paying less ?

Bangkok has a golfclub where the yearly fee membership is 20.000 us$....don't know the fee for a day on top of that.

I can't wait for the day that foreign countries start doing the same to Thai...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JoePai said:

As I said, many countries offer duel pricing for their own nationals (locals if you like) v foreigners 

Locals and own nationals are totally different things. Sorry I wont agree with you neither will the dictionary and most people with a brain. Locals are people living in an area and nationality does not come into play. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Locals and own nationals are totally different things. Sorry I wont agree with you neither will the dictionary and most people with a brain. Locals are people living in an area and nationality does not come into play. 

Not at all Locals are the nationals in the country you are visiting/staying in

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Not at all Locals are the nationals in the country you are visiting/staying in

Correct, that is why you can, write it down as you did in your original post. Its normal for Locals to get a discount, they don't care what nationality you are as long as you can prove your a local. That is how it works in other countries. Here they select on nationality that is a totally different thing. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Correct, that is why you can, write it down as you did in your original post. Its normal for Locals to get a discount, they don't care what nationality you are as long as you can prove your a local. That is how it works in other countries. Here they select on nationality that is a totally different thing. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Here they select on nationality that is a totally different thing. 

Not at all, that is common - many other countries select on Nationality - see an example I have just been though in my other post

28 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Here they select on nationality that is a totally different thing. 

Not at all, that is common - many other countries select on Nationality - see an example I have just been though in my other post

I just see one example.. if you look in the US for instance or many places in Europe, you will see it is truly about locals instead of nationality. I guess you and I will disagree. 

16 hours ago, robblok said:

In a fishing place (Bungsamran) you get Thai price if you show up with a Thai driving license or workpermit ect.

Precisely.  I would imagine the PCC allows foreigners who are Thai residents to pay the Thai price.  This is common in most dual-pricing situations.  So what the heck is everyone screaming about? 

Nothing new here, most golf courses in Thailand have a different price for foreign visitors whilst "local" foreigners can use such as a driving license or work permit to enjoy the price the Thais pay.
Which of the Pattaya circuit courses have dual pricing? I'm not aware of any (apart from the new Op example). Often discounts are given for PSC or IPGC members

19 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Precisely.  I would imagine the PCC allows foreigners who are Thai residents to pay the Thai price.  This is common in most dual-pricing situations.  So what the heck is everyone screaming about? 

If that is the case here too I would not have a problem with it at all. I just dislike dual prices when it is purely on nationality and not if your a local or not. 

17 hours ago, smedly said:

you can blame several expat individuals who run golf trips/outings for this, they are in partnership with the owners/managers of golf courses and get a percentage of the fees - been going on for years with prices getting higher and higher for foreigners.  

Please quote some "background" for this statement and the specific courses involved around Pattaya?

Whilst it is possible some organisers may be getting some sort of kickback it would be based on overall numbers and would not affect for example the PSC published rates which most groups use.

16 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

While you are 100% correct,

Disagree

If you show up, ask in thai, show them your thai drivers licence, they will always give you the local rate.

Please quote some examples - and where that "local" rate has been lower than the published/discounted "group" (whether PSC/PAGS or whatever) rate?

Not a bad deal, considering it includes a nights accomodation and breakfast thrown in.

Do you actually play? For Pattaya Country Club it is not a good deal. PSC green fee price is 900 baht there anyway with a voucher from them. 

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Look at the Thai average wage  for professionals who are likely to want to play golf on their own courses and you have your answer.  if you don't like it, don't go. 

I think that most Thais that play golf make a lot more than your and my "avarage wage". Any BMW or Benz parked in the parking lot will easily confirm that. So they should be able to afford at least the same fees.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Look at the Thai average wage  for professionals who are likely to want to play golf on their own courses and you have your answer.  if you don't like it, don't go. 

You say that all foreigners are rich?

You make the same mistake as many Thais, most foreigners are not rich!

Charging different prices for, I presume, white foreigners is called discrimination.

But it seems you are ok with that.

• Like 2