Britons would now vote to stay in EU, want second referendum: poll

webfact

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

And you can support this "hand picked" claim nonsense? Case adjourned pending new evidence.

You don't think the TV programme makers vet who goes on? They try to get a balanced view, I believe they are compelled to do so, so they'll approach political groups, movements or think tanks and ask them to send a young person to articulate a view ... I doubt very much that the channel would supply me with their CVs ... it was simply obvious. They were not dragged off the street.

Do you believe that they were brought into the studio from the street outside, just some random passer-by?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You don't think the TV programme makers vet who goes on? They try to get a balanced view, I believe they are compelled to do so, so they'll approach political groups, movements or think tanks and ask them to send a young person to articulate a view ... I doubt very much that the channel would supply me with their CVs ... it was simply obvious. They were not dragged off the street.

Do you believe that they were brought into the studio from the street outside, just some random passer-by?

They might but if so they messed up this time compared to the majority of TV political news and debate shows, which are full of remainer bias on a regular basis on MSM. Now you just pick this one out because there weren't enough snowflakes for you.

I posted the link to this on here a few days ago. It was actually quite balanced and some of the kids were surprisingly good (both sides). But Jon Snow was rather taken aback by the amount of kids who also say leave. Maybe the EU fruit pickers screwed up!

23 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You want me to offer you a scenario that never happened, and never can be proved? An unprovable scenario? Maybe Churchill would have invented a unicorn that destroyed the Third Reich or Tommy Islam's grandad would have taken on the panzer division with a crew of fellow bigots?

If you believe that Britain could have won that war without assistance from the US and Russia then you keep on dreaming ... but don't ask me to go down that rabbit hole with you, with my tin foil hat on, playing war-games like an 8 year old. Pointless. 

You're exactly how I imagine a Brexit supporter. Harking on about war victories of the past that where down to luck and the help of others ... and thinking that England is somehow exceptional, instead of what it really is, just another country in the world.

After the battle of Britain in 1940 any supposed threat of invasion of the UK was thwarted..

Hitler attacked Russia in mid '41, the US joined in after Dec 41 and Singapore fell in Feb 42. And that was only when the US and the USSR joined in the war. Until then we stood alone but we had the RAF and the RN which Hitler had no answer to. The Graf Spee and the Bismark were sunk as soon as they took to sea and we had won the Battle of Britain.

You can't argue the point so come out with nonsense about tin foil hats and unicorns. And to think Remainers call the Brexiteers uneducated.

Please show us some evidence of the education you people constantly brag about having had and tell me how the Germans would have 'got round to us'. If you can't just say so, there's no shame in that.

31 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I didn't say the UK economy was booming. I asked why this chart was put up here on a UK/EU topic? Why not put an EU index instead?   

It would also be interesting. I tried to find one on the web but did not succeed.

19 minutes ago, candide said:

It would also be interesting. I tried to find one on the web but did not succeed.

image.png.1fd54f5cd9de3db39f5c18a71697c8c8.png

image.png.c157f10121d55d3f8ea86c7f3cbc82c9.png

Actually not much difference over 5 years.

UK better recently due to a lower pound after Brexit.

3 hours ago, Chartist said:

snip

3) A lower currency is a double edged sword at best, it's good for the manufacturing sector, the 20% decrease in the £ would more than offset the 3% tariff should we go to WTO rules. Inflation is inline with the BOE's target and no ones worried about the £ other than hysterical remainers because it's the only thing they can point to that Brexit has had an effect on. 

Voodoo economics.
Over the past two years, the pound has lost about 20% in international purchasing power.
For some currency pairings more, for others less.
You do not seem to dispute that either.
Otherwise, ask all the British who live longer in Thailand.
An simple example:
Two years ago, you still got 50 baht for 1 pound.
So you could buy 5 pineapples (unit price 10 baht).
Now you only get 40 Baht for 1 pound and can only buy 4 pieces of pineapple.

What does that mean for a resource-poor country like the UK, which has to buy (import) its energy (oil, gas, electricity), its raw materials for production and many foods internationally?

Look at the inflation rate. From 0% to 3% since 2016, with a slight downtrend at the end.
Then compare that to GDP growth. Depending on the institute, between 1.5% - 1.9%.
The net balance is negative.
There is/was no net growth of the UK economy since 2016.

IFrate.png

Gdpgr.png

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

After the battle of Britain in 1940 any supposed threat of invasion of the UK was thwarted..

Hitler attacked Russia in mid '41, the US joined in after Dec 41 and Singapore fell in Feb 42. And that was only when the US and the USSR joined in the war. Until then we stood alone but we had the RAF and the RN which Hitler had no answer to. The Graf Spee and the Bismark were sunk as soon as they took to sea and we had won the Battle of Britain.

You can't argue the point so come out with nonsense about tin foil hats and unicorns. And to think Remainers call the Brexiteers uneducated.

Please show us some evidence of the education you people constantly brag about having had and tell me how the Germans would have 'got round to us'. If you can't just say so, there's no shame in that.

You can make any claim that you like about an unknowable ... makes no difference to me ... keep up the fantasy that Britain would have won on it's own, without help from across the Atlantic. Can you direct us all to a prominent historian scholar who agrees with you? No? Thought not. There's no shame in that.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

They might but if so they messed up this time compared to the majority of TV political news and debate shows, which are full of remainer bias on a regular basis on MSM. Now you just pick this one out because there weren't enough snowflakes for you.

I posted the link to this on here a few days ago. It was actually quite balanced and some of the kids were surprisingly good (both sides). But Jon Snow was rather taken aback by the amount of kids who also say leave. Maybe the EU fruit pickers screwed up!

So if they were not dragged in off the street they must have been selected by some criteria? Hand picked. 

If we do end up in a second referendum Leave will lose, and it will be young people that strike the death blow. I look forward to seeing that.

56 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Voodoo economics.
Over the past two years, the pound has lost about 20% in international purchasing power.
An simple example:

What does that mean for a resource-poor country like the UK, which has to buy (import) its energy (oil, gas, electricity), its raw materials for production and many foods internationally?

Look at the inflation rate. From 0% to 3% since 2016, with a slight downtrend at the end.
Then compare that to GDP growth. Depending on the institute, between 1.5% - 1.9%.

IFrate.png

Gdpgr.png

You do realise that 0% inflation is bad don't you? Also inflation is now at 2.2% pretty much inline with the BOE's target rate of 2%

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

So if they were not dragged in off the street they must have been selected by some criteria? Hand picked. 

If we do end up in a second referendum Leave will lose, and it will be young people that strike the death blow. I look forward to seeing that.

Self-righteous posturing and false confidence. You can believe what you like. I don't care. 

But death blow. ???? Most dramatic. 

Three sizeable and interesting pots on Brexit in today's Bangkok Post

one on May's need to approach Corbyn to seek his assistance in getting the deal through parliament

one on the growing support for a 2nd referendum which might ditch Brexit altogether

one on the Brexit campaign movie

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

Voodoo economics.
An simple example:

IFrate.png

Gdpgr.png

Man this is why I hate you idiots so much, you obviously know absolutely nothing but you've gone on google come up with a couple of charts that you think support your point. Not knowing that a steady rate of inflation is good for the economy and mislabeling it as 3% even though the chart YOU posted shows it's lower.

The UK is not a resource poor country we get most of our oil from our North Sea fields.

No one cares how many pineapples you can buy in Thailand your analogy is childish, patronising and well just plain wrong. UK manufacturers may have to pay more for materials they import but the 20% reduction in the exchange rate makes their products more attractively priced for the export market, this is supported by the UK's increased manufacturing PMI i.e actual data.

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Self-righteous posturing and false confidence. You can believe what you like. I don't care. 

But death blow. ???? Most dramatic. 

I would have settled on May's deal personally, but since it looks like there are those determined to cause as much destruction as possible with a no deal Brexit I'm now happy with a second vote ... time to smash extreme Brexiteers ... looking forward to parliament taking back control next week. 

41 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You can make any claim that you like about an unknowable ... makes no difference to me ... keep up the fantasy that Britain would have won on it's own, without help from across the Atlantic. Can you direct us all to a prominent historian scholar who agrees with you? No? Thought not. There's no shame in that.

I've never said that we would have won on our own. I said that we should have kept out of it and by keeping ourselves armed to the teeth with a modern air force and what was the biggest navy in the world we would have had little fear of an invasion from anyone especially Germany.

If Germany had declared war on us it would have been a different matter.

Hitler had no beef with us he'd said so. His ambitions lay in the East. And lots of ordinary Britons opposed our getting involved in WW2. None of my family wanted another turn out with the Germans they'd seen enough in '14 - '18. They had no interest in what historians had to say. they were more concerned about what people whether they were prominent or not had to say who were around at the time and lots of them were terrified of another war. The politicans and arms people weren't though.

My mother had seen the Zeppelins over London and the great fear was aerial bombing. But the men had to go or be put in jail. Chamberlain and his govt declared war but none of his politician pals had to go out and get killed in it. Few people even knew where Poland was and cared less. Poles are now flocking into the UK nicking our jobs, Germans aren't. What was the point of getting involved.

We'd lost a good part of a generation of young men in the Great War, nearly a million lives wasted. Those who were made to risk their lives were not so keen on the idea as you would probably have been. 

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Still off topic and utter drivel to boot. The wheel barrow will be along shortly 

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Still off topic and utter drivel to boot. The wheel barrow will be along shortly 

The topic is about our involvement in Europe so how is my post off topic and why is it 'drivel' if the EU was formed to prevent another European War. If you claim something is drivel you must say why or it's no more than an unsubstantiated assertion.

What on earth do wheelbarrows have to do with the EU, now that is off topic.

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The topic is about our involvement in Europe so how is my post off topic and why is it 'drivel' if the EU was formed to prevent another European War. If you claim something is drivel you must say why or it's no more than an unsubstantiated assertion.

What on earth do wheelbarrows have to do with the EU, now that is off topic.

You are quite correct that one the key reasons for the formation of the predecessors of the EU was to prevent another war. It has undoubtedly been successful 

Discussion of WW2 strategy and tactics is, IMO, off topic.

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

If something is drivel it's untrue or in this case historically inaccurate. What have i written that is untrue or historically inaccurate.

And what have wheel barrows got to do with it. You still have not explained that piece of nonsense. It's no more relevant to the topic than is Tommy Islam whoever he is or tin foil hats!

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What have i written that is untrue or historically inaccurate.

Ethnic cleansing of English people in London.

Yaxley-Lennon being responsible for the exposure and arrest of grooming gangs.

Everything you've written about the Second World War (my dad, who volunteered in 1939, would be turning in his grave to read such tosh from someone claiming to be British).

Unless you are in your late 80s, your mum seeing Zeppelins over London during the Great War.

The list goes on and on!

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You are quite correct that one the key reasons for the formation of the predecessors of the EU was to prevent another war. It has undoubtedly been successful 

Discussion of WW2 strategy and tactics is, IMO, off topic.

Our getting involved with European affairs covers our getting involved in WW2 just as much as getting involved with the EU. They're linked and our involvement in the war could have been avoided if we had adopted a more sensible strategy.

WW2 cost us an arm and a leg and our involvement with the EU is doing the same albeit on a smaller scale.

The EU was a direct consequence of WW2 whether you consider it to be so or not. That's just your opinion.

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Ethnic cleansing of English people in London.

Yaxley-Lennon being responsible for the exposure and arrest of grooming gangs.

Everything you've written about the Second World War (my dad, who volunteered in 1939, would be turning in his grave to read such tosh from someone claiming to be British).

Unless you are in your late 80s, your mum seeing Zeppelins over London during the Great War.

The list goes on and on!

She was born in 1903. 116 years ago. You don't know how old she was when I was born and you don't know how old I am. I could well be in my late 80s for all you know.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Channel 4 loading the audience 2-1 in favour of remain (admitted here) backfired:

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Channel 4 loading the audience 2-1 in favour of remain (admitted here) backfired:

My point stands. The crowd were selected, not random. If you put a microphone in front of ten people who support leave they will give you a leave view, and vice versa. It says nothing about how young people will vote in a second referendum. The younger you are the more likely you would support Remain. 

23 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

She was born in 1903. 116 years ago. You don't know how old she was when I was born and you don't know how old I am. I could well be in my late 80s for all you know.

Indeed you could be; which is why I said "Unless you are in your 80s...…"

If you are, then your ignorance of 20th century British history and the events leading up to and during the Second World War is completely baffling.

Archived