Death Threat At Mcdonalds

kippers

Last night about 10.30 I went to McDonalds on Sukhumvit for a late dinner after driving down from Bangkok, After waiting for 15 mins to get the food it was given to me without comment, when i asked for the server if he could possibly say thankyou, he responded with " I look your face, I see you in Pattaya, you are dead!" I thought that McDonalds had a stict code of conduct, Perhaps I was most offended when I called over the female manager, who looked at me and then walked away totally ignoring me.

I received a comment from my 10 year old in the back seat asking why they are so rude, I was absolutely speechless to answer.

I've been living in Pattaya & Bangkok for the last 8 years and accept most things as culture differences but this is riduculous.

If anyone knows the contact address of the head office of McDonalds, I would like to fill them in on this shocking experience.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's a nutter working there who is making death threats to customers, it's hardly surprising that the female manager walked away. She might be next on his list.

This behaviour is unfortunately symptomatic of many Thais who work in Pattaya these days - especially in the 'sex' districts - and is not necessarily reprepresenative of Thailand as a whole.

Perhaps we reap what we sow - take look around you at the dregs of the western world who habituate some areas of Pattaya - who undoubtedly adopt similar standards of etiquette.

It is never the less very sad and to be deplored.

I commened you to take this further with Macdonald's Head Office, and if possible to report back on your progress.

Last night about 10.30 I went to McDonalds on Sukhumvit for a late dinner after driving down from Bangkok, After waiting for 15 mins to get the food it was given to me without comment, when i asked for the server if he could possibly say thankyou, he responded with " I look your face, I see you in Pattaya, you are dead!"

Maybe the guy from Subway who tried to attack another TV member and was subsequently sacked now works at Mc Donalds.

Seriously though don't let this jerk get away with it.

Write to or phone Mcdonalds head office in Thailand:-

THAILAND

McThai Company Ltd.

10th Floor, Amrin Tower

500 Pleochit Road

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Phone* : 02-256-9352

This behaviour is unfortunately symptomatic of many Thais who work in Pattaya these days - especially in the 'sex' districts - and is not necessarily reprepresenative of Thailand as a whole.

It seems to be the way of most Thais working in Pattaya these days. I wouldn't class Sukhumvit as a "sex" district. Do you live in Pattaya? You maybe astonished at the number of "normal" tourists here these days. They outnumber the sex tourists.

It seems to be the way of most Thais working in Pattaya these days. I wouldn't class Sukhumvit as a "sex" district. Do you live in Pattaya? You maybe astonished at the number of "normal" tourists here these days. They outnumber the sex tourists.

I didn't say Sukhumvit was a sex district, although you don't to stray too far from Sukhumvit these days to find sex for sale.

I was simply commenting that many Thais in the 'sex' districts do not behave as Thais normally do. There is also a general breakdown of normal polite Thai behaviour towards farangs in the greater Pattaya area, spreading out from the 'sex' districts.

I am fully aware of the number of normal tourists in Pattaya, having lived in the area for quite a while now, and off on and on in Thailand for over 30 years.

There is absolutely no comparison between the attitude of most Thais in Pattaya today and that of 30 years ago. I would even go as far as to say that even today, the average Thai worker in Bangkok has a better attitude towards farangs than the average Thai does in Pattaya.

I used to defend Pattaya against the Pattaya bashers, but I now find that it is increasingly hard to put up a defence against the grubby degradation of the 'sex areas', the depravation of the slums, the abuse of street kids and the almost total breakdown in law and order and infrustructure. It's becoming like something out of 'Mad Max'

When staff from Subways and Macdonalds threaten violence against customers, then you know things are going downhill very fast, towards Tammi's tipping point. :o

Kippers, It's just one of those culture things. With due respect, if you have been in Thailand for 8 years you should have known to walk away and just accept it.

This is Thailand and direct criticism to a thai is face losing big time and only worsens the situation.

There is absolutely no comparison between the attitude of most Thais in Pattaya today and that of 30 years ago. I would even go as far as to say that even today, the average Thai worker in Bangkok has a better attitude towards farangs than the average Thai does in Pattaya.

I used to defend Pattaya against the Pattaya bashers, but I now find that it is increasingly hard to put up a defence against the grubby degradation of the 'sex areas', the depravation of the slums, the abuse of street kids and the almost total breakdown in law and order and infrustructure. It's becoming like something out of 'Mad Max'

When staff from Subways and Macdonalds threaten violence against customers, then you know things are going downhill very fast, towards Tammi's tipping point. :D

Deprivation or depravity? Or is this a combination of the two :o

If there's a nutter working there who is making death threats to customers, it's hardly surprising that the female manager walked away. She might be next on his list.

Perhaps we reap what we sow - take look around you at the dregs of the western world who habituate some areas of Pattaya - who undoubtedly adopt similar standards of etiquette.

I commened you to take this further with Macdonald's Head Office, and if possible to report back on your progress.

Good post, Mobi.

On my last flight back to the UK, there was a Brit living in Pattaya sitting behind me. I did not know him. I knew he was living in Pattaya because I heard him chatting to the man sitting next to him.

He addressed me once during the flight, "Move your seat, you f***ing b***ard."

Charming.

Last night about 10.30 I went to McDonalds on Sukhumvit for a late dinner after driving down from Bangkok, After waiting for 15 mins to get the food it was given to me without comment, when i asked for the server if he could possibly say thankyou, he responded with " I look your face, I see you in Pattaya, you are dead!"

Maybe the guy from Subway who tried to attack another TV member and was subsequently sacked now works at Mc Donalds.

Seriously though don't let this jerk get away with it.

Write to or phone Mcdonalds head office in Thailand:-

THAILAND

McThai Company Ltd.

10th Floor, Amrin Tower

500 Pleochit Road

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Thailand

Phone* : 02-256-9352

And let us know how it went...I'm really curious if they're going to do something about it or not.

I haven't been to McDonald's for around 10 years the last time I went to one was in Allentown Pennsylvania when I could not understand the person working the drive-thru I went inside only to find I could not understand them either. In any event it turns out they were not only native "English" speakers but it was the only language they spoke. I apologized (as they thought I was wrong) and proceeded to walk out as they were yelling "yo white boy don't come up in here no more or you gonna get some" as the manager pointed out to my Thai wife and I that we were prejudiced and me and the China woman needed to leave, well that's the part I understood. I called McDonald's corp in the USA and they told me it was not a corporate branch but they would be happy to tell me where one was in the area.

<deleted> food

<deleted> service

<deleted> concept

<deleted> prices

With the wealth of choice available in the Thai food industry, I feel those who patronise MacDonalds have failed to show any imagination.

This, in no way, excuses death threats or even a lack of courtesy.

This has nothing to do with Pattaya beyond tipping point, sex districts or depravation.

The most likely way you will get shot in Thailand is by offending someone. Thais have a very short fuse and criticism will only inflame the situation.

Good post, Mobi.

On my last flight back to the UK, there was a Brit living in Pattaya sitting behind me. I did not know him. I knew he was living in Pattaya because I heard him chatting to the man sitting next to him.

Charming.

I trust you had not reclined your seat during meal-time!?

If you had, then I would say the comment was warranted... otherwise, I'd agree with you.

Kippers, It's just one of those culture things. With due respect, if you have been in Thailand for 8 years you should have known to walk away and just accept it.

This is Thailand and direct criticism to a thai is face losing big time and only worsens the situation.

:o

I hope that you are joking.

LOL,

I doubt that a McDonald's for server has the connections / money to organize something like that. If they did, they would not work there to start off with. So I guess he would have to wield the weapon in person.

Just go to McDonalds HQ in BKK. There are 1000's of people in the place per day, so your probably 1 of 500 he has already said this to and as such, will not know the real culprit of his firing.

At the end of the day, if he threatens ur life, I would not give a <deleted> about him. Take him down.

Good post, Mobi.

Charming.

If you had, then I would say the comment was warranted... otherwise, I'd agree with you.

This was said as the meals arrived. They arrived from the back so his arrived 10 seconds before mine and I did not see them coming. My seat had already been reclined for an hour. I can't imagine I or any other person with a modicum of politeness would ever have said anything like that. How about, "Could you put your seat up please?"

Good post, Mobi.

Charming.

How could that foul comment be warranted? :o In the worse case scenario, perhaps "Can you please put your seat upright, I am trying to eat, as you are!" maybe a started for 10.

Or even, an "excuse me, but could you please put your seat up while I eat."

Good post, Mobi.

Charming.

How could that foul comment be warranted? :o In the worse case scenario, perhaps "Can you please put your seat upright, I am trying to eat, as you are!" maybe a started for 10.

I rather suspect this was the normal way to converse in his world.

Please see Mobi's earlier post

This was said as the meals arrived. They arrived from the back so his arrived 10 seconds before mine and I did not see them coming. My seat had already been reclined for an hour. I can't imagine I or any other person with a modicum of politeness would ever have said anything like that. How about, "Could you put your seat up please?"

Fair enough, I also would never have said anything like that, though I have thought it on many occasions when people are asked by the stewardess several times to put their seat up and they just feign 'deafness'.

It's particularly true when someone comes on to the plane and then immediately tries to sleep, isn't interested in the food etc.

Some people are just so inconsiderate when travelling (I'm NOT impling you're in this group, Briggsy!), just musing on why someone would be say 'Move your seat, you f****** b******'

I once sat in an aisle seat in a group of 4 in the middle and the guy in the other aisle seat used up 3 seats, sticking his smelly feet in my lap for most of the flight!

This has nothing to do with Pattaya beyond tipping point, sex districts or depravation.

The most likely way you will get shot in Thailand is by offending someone. Thais have a very short fuse and criticism will only inflame the situation.

If you read my post carefully you will see that all I said was:

"This behaviour is unfortunately symptomatic of many Thais who work in Pattaya these days - especially in the 'sex' districts - and is not necessarily reprepresenative of Thailand as a whole."

My comment was then expanded upon in subsequent posts, as a result of further discussion and debate - it happens in these threads you know.... :o

And in any event, not totally irrelevant if you look at the OP's topic title:

"Death Threat At Mcdonalds, Pattaya is going down the gurgler"

BTW You may be the world's greatest expert on Thai culture, but this man's behaviour is unacceptable by any standards - and no-one should go in fear of their lives by asking for a simple 'thank you.'

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

I didn't say Sukhumvit was a sex district, although you don't to stray too far from Sukhumvit these days to find sex for sale.

I was simply commenting that many Thais in the 'sex' districts do not behave as Thais normally do. There is also a general breakdown of normal polite Thai behaviour towards farangs in the greater Pattaya area, spreading out from the 'sex' districts.

I am fully aware of the number of normal tourists in Pattaya, having lived in the area for quite a while now, and off on and on in Thailand for over 30 years.

When staff from Subways and Macdonalds threaten violence against customers, then you know things are going downhill very fast, towards Tammi's tipping point. :o

Mobi, You have taken the words right out of my mouth. Like you I have lived here a long time. First came to live here in 1991 and the attitude of the Thai has changed not only in Pattaya but in most parts of Thailand. The crime is way out of control in the Pattaya and Jomtien area. When I first came to Thailand any Thai that committed a crime against a foreigner would be given double the usual sentence. Today the Cops are always siding with the Thais.

As most people that do know me know on this forum are starting to understand the reasons why Im moving out of Thailand in about 5 weeks. I have had enough of their B/S.

Cheers Tony

Unfortunately this kind of language is becoming the norm in the UK. It does, of course, depend on the locale and the social class but more and more this is becoming the accepted means of communication. Words like 'please' and 'thank you' are fast fading into obscure memories soon to be removed from the Oxford English dictionary. The fact he strung a six word sentence together including two words of more than one syllable is a little surprising, well maybe not as two of them were swear words so that's par for the course an average of one swear word for two not.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a snob, far from it, working class and proud of it. I can swear like a trooper with the best of them but I do limit it to appropriate occasions and definately not to strangers, unless they've been real stupid, or women. On this forum yes but that's different as we are only kidding......................aren't we? :D:D

As for this case we can only hope that tis level of service becomes the norm for MacDonalds then, with a bit of luck, they'll all go out of business and they can take KFC and Pizza Hut with them. These places are truly a blot on the landscape and that's before we get around to considering what they term food. :D

I got a death threat at McDonald's too, but it was from my Dr--"if you keeping eating that fatty food...."

No, actually, I can understand the concern of the OP because McDonald's is that little bit of western respite here in Thailand. I don't have much patience, but I have learned to bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut since saying anything usually only makes the situation worse. However, when I go to McD's, I usually get the same food, and approximately the same service as anywhere else and I forget that the person giving it to me is Thai.

Regardless, I wouldn't let the threat drop, because that is REALLY not very Thai. And it's not about money, it's about his friends who are all Motorcycle taxi drivers and quite capable of helping him mess up your day!

As for the manager, she needs a sharp reprimand too. She doesn't need to say anything to the employee, if she is scared. She can apologize for the slow service on her own and make a big fuss about how she will take care of it as she helps people to their seat.

(They used to give you a free order of fries if they made you wait--not death threats).

If you read my post carefully you will see that all I said was:

"This behaviour is unfortunately symptomatic of many Thais who work in Pattaya these days - especially in the 'sex' districts - and is not necessarily reprepresenative of Thailand as a whole."

My comment was then expanded upon in subsequent posts, as a result of further discussion and debate - it happens in these threads you know.... :o

And in any event, not totally irrelevant if you look at the OP's topic title:

"Death Threat At Mcdonalds, Pattaya is going down the gurgler"

BTW You may be the world's greatest expert on Thai culture, but this man's behaviour is unacceptable by any standards - and no-one should go in fear of their lives by asking for a simple 'thank you.'

Mobi,

Its not only Pattaya. This sort of thing can happen anywhere in Thailand.

The OP has waited for 15 minutes for his food and is understandedly unhappy. Complaining about it directly to the employees is not going to get any sort of sattisfaction. He's damm lucky he didn't get a smack in the mouth. Better just to walk away. Wheather it be bad manners, bad etequitte or just bad business practises , complaining about it is only going to inflame the situation. Personally i vote with my wallet , walk away and dont go back.

As for your sarcastic comment that i am " the worlds greatest expert on thai culture". Mobi. A bit of courtesy would not go astray.