Anti Foreigner Feeling By Thailand

mazimus

I first went to Thailand in 1999,i thought it was a great place on my first couple of visits but i have noticed that the various powers that be in Thailand have made it more and more difficult for foreigners to visit,open business or even reside in the country.Even silly things like the overstay fine being continually hiked up through the years,the different tax brackets for foreigners,if a Thai and a foreigner have a fight the police will always side with the Thai,in fact just about every time a policeman in Thailand pulls a foreigner on a motorbike it costs him money and now this thing about foreigners only being allowed 90 days per year in Thailand.I could go on for ages,everyone that has spent any decent length of time in Thailand will know what i am talking about.I have in the past couple of years being going to Cambodia and frequently Malaysia,both myself my mates and our Thai girlfriends see the difference.These other countries are more friendly and geared up to welcome tourists not to discourage and rip them off as my beloved Thailand has become.I wonder what the powers that be in Thailand would do if all the foreigners stayed away a year or two,i think all these stupid things like foreigners only being allowed 90 days maximum in one year,and other stupid rules like that would be reversed.Have they never heard of the man that killed the golden goose.If the tourists stopped coming it would be disastrous for the economy my question is what would the powers that be in Thailand do then?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first went to Thailand in 1999, I thought it was a great place on my first couple of visits but I have noticed that the various powers that be in Thailand have made it more and more difficult for foreigners to visit, open business or even reside in the country.

Even silly things like the overstay fine being continually hiked up through the years, the different tax brackets for foreigners, if a Thai and a foreigner have a fight the police will always side with the Thai, in fact just about every time a policeman in Thailand pulls a foreigner on a motorbike it costs him money and now this thing about foreigners only being allowed 90 days per year in Thailand.

I could go on for ages, everyone that has spent any decent length of time in Thailand will know what i am talking about.

I have in the past couple of years being going to Cambodia and frequently Malaysia, both myself my mates and our Thai girlfriends see the difference.

These other countries are more friendly and geared up to welcome tourists not to discourage and rip them off as my beloved Thailand has become.

I wonder what the powers that be in Thailand would do if all the foreigners stayed away a year or two, I think all these stupid things like foreigners only being allowed 90 days maximum in one year, and other stupid rules like that would be reversed.

Have they never heard of the man that killed the golden goose.

If the tourists stopped coming it would be disastrous for the economy my question is what would the powers that be in Thailand do then?

I have added a little punctuation and still find this post hard to comprehend.

mazimus, you have a couple of facts wrong in your post.

Stand by for correction.

Take it easy folks, remember the rules.

I first went to Thailand in 1999,i thought it was a great place on my first couple of visits but i have noticed that the various powers that be in Thailand have made it more and more difficult for foreigners to visit,open business or even reside in the country.Even silly things like the overstay fine being continually hiked up through the years,the different tax brackets for foreigners,if a Thai and a foreigner have a fight the police will always side with the Thai,in fact just about every time a policeman in Thailand pulls a foreigner on a motorbike it costs him money and now this thing about foreigners only being allowed 90 days per year in Thailand.I could go on for ages,everyone that has spent any decent length of time in Thailand will know what i am talking about.I have in the past couple of years being going to Cambodia and frequently Malaysia,both myself my mates and our Thai girlfriends see the difference.These other countries are more friendly and geared up to welcome tourists not to discourage and rip them off as my beloved Thailand has become.I wonder what the powers that be in Thailand would do if all the foreigners stayed away a year or two,i think all these stupid things like foreigners only being allowed 90 days maximum in one year,and other stupid rules like that would be reversed.Have they never heard of the man that killed the golden goose.If the tourists stopped coming it would be disastrous for the economy my question is what would the powers that be in Thailand do then?

They'll 'Tar foriegners with the same brush' if they see a badden, fighting, drunk, abusive etc, until a good farang is seen again, they may asume that's how they behave in thier own countries. The hard thing to do is to prove all foriegners are not like that? Not an easy task ahead :o

Even silly things like the overstay fine being continually hiked up through the years
Well if you break the law, bit rich complaining the fine is too much.
if a Thai and a foreigner have a fight the police will always side with the Thai,in fact just about every time a policeman in Thailand pulls a foreigner on a motorbike it costs him money

As long as you stay within the law and know your rights then you have to pay no money. That's been my experience of police stops in Thailand anyway.

and now this thing about foreigners only being allowed 90 days per year in Thailand.
i think all these stupid things like foreigners only being allowed 90 days maximum in one year,and other stupid rules like that would be reversed.

Doesn't exist mate, foreigners can stay longer than 90 days in Thailand.

If the tourists stopped coming it would be disastrous for the economy my question is what would the powers that be in Thailand do then?

Bu99ered if I know old chap.

They'd probably have to let in the dregs who can't spell, punctuate or parse.

Oh no - now I think of it, they're already here teaching English.

Patrick

It'll probably never happen and in the big scheme of things they'll probably not notice. The current trend is to encourage better quality tourists to come here, but if there are more bombs in Bangkok and if the Southern angst moves north to say Phuket or Pattaya and foreigners start getting killed then 'maybe' it will have an affect.

The visa rules and other things you mentioned only affect those of us who want to live here longer than the average quality tourist and at the end of the day they don't really want us here long term. However, you have to make a choice and either come and go as a tourist or decide to live with it and work within the rules and accept that is the way it is. It is their country and they can do what ever they like with it. Remember Thai + land = Land for Thai's.

On a side note but similar theme, I wrote a paper yesterday for a rather influential set of Thai's on the issues of the FBA, visa regulations, economy and current uncertainties in Thailand and more importantly how they affect foreigners here. To my surprise I was 'visited' late this evening by the senior man in charge for a chat. It seems my paper has set off a debate and I have now been commanded to present it tomorrow to the other men of influence for a discussion. Who knows tomorrow could be my last day in Thailand. ha ha! :o

Edited by Casanundra

If all the tourists prattle on in multiple threads about how much they like other places like you do, then I hope the powers that be do boot them all out.

However, this is never going to happen; for every complainer, there are a number of others who enjoy it just fine.

Sadly.

It'll probably never happen and in the big scheme of things they'll probably not notice. The current trend is to encourage better quality tourists to come here, but if there are more bombs in Bangkok and if the Southern angst moves north to say Phuket or Pattaya and foreigners start getting killed then 'maybe' it will have an affect.

The visa rules and other things you mentioned only affect those of us who want to live here longer than the average quality tourist and at the end of the day they don't really want us here long term. However, you have to make a choice and either come and go as a tourist or decide to live with it and work within the rules and accept that is the way it is. It is their country and they can do what ever they like with it. Remember Thai + land = Land for Thai's.

On a side note but similar theme, I wrote a paper yesterday for a rather influential set of Thai's on the issues of the FBA, visa regulations, economy and current uncertainties in Thailand and more importantly how they affect foreigners here. To my surprise I was 'visited' late this evening by the senior man in charge for a chat. It seems my paper has set off a debate and I have now been commanded to present it tomorrow to the other men of influence for a discussion. Who knows tomorrow could be my last day in Thailand. ha ha! :o

Hope not.

Maybe you can do a little for all us living & operating business here. Even if your suggestions are given the slightest attention, hopefully something will register & the smallest of light bulbs may go off.

Good luck,

Soundman.

I agree with some of what you have said, but most of it not.

Sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet about something, but whatever the case - consider it from this perspective:

For every one disgruntled foreigner like you, there are 10 000 very happy visitors, in others words: statiscally your comments are shared by such a small proportion of foreigners in Thailand, it wouldn't matter economically if you decided not to come - and the Thai authrorities are well aware of that.

MF

Most countries have laws and try to enforce them and change them with time.

You are only a golden goose for the length of visa issued so apply for the one you would like to

lay the golden eggs. Business visa are also available if needed.

Enjoy the other countries, many do.

Wonder why Thailand has attracted so many limited budget foreigners compared to their neighboring countries. It has become a play ground for the destitute so it seems and they arrive by the tens of thousands each year and at a younger and younger age all the time. They do not need to worry about the baby boomers coming in with a vast amount of savings, the slums have preceded them.

The attraction has been lost for some years now.

Edited by Khun ?

You are only a golden goose for the length of visa issued so apply for the one you would like to

Wonder why Thailand has attracted so many limited budget foreigners compared to their neighboring countries. It has become a play ground for the destitute so it seems and they arrive by the tens of thousands each year and at a younger and younger age all the time. They do not need to worry about the baby boomers coming in with a vast amount of savings, the slums have preceded them.

That's a good point. I'm seeimg way more full time young people (20's-30's) here. What do these people do?

It is absolutely amazing to me that in all of the recent posts where someone points out some discontent with the way that things are going in Thailand. There is a group of people that begin to call them malcontents, recalcitrant, destitute, undesirables, etc. I posted a thread recently and was very surprised at the overwhelming response, clearly the lines are being drawn in the sand. This even furthers my resolve to leave that so many of my fellow Farangs will be glad to see me go. I have made a personal decision for my family and myself to leave. Others have chosen to stay, fine.

I have to believe that everyone has been able to see the changes that have occurred in the last few years concerning Visas, property ownership, business, exchange rates and the current political climate. Why has this become such an emotional issue?

LL

That's a good point. I'm seeimg way more full time young people (20's-30's) here. What do these people do?

With all due respect, isn't this a superfluous question? SOTC

Not sure, but I suppose you could ask them? :o

Strangely I've never heard any other farangs mention influential people before, it means nothing to me - Is it Doctors, Generals, Ministers, Police, Mafia, Real Estate Guys etc... I'm not being funny its just a strange phrase or term for a farang to use.

I like your posts , any chance "we" can read it ?

Do you also post on stickman ?

Strangely I've never heard any other farangs mention influential people before, it means nothing to me - Is it Doctors, Generals, Ministers, Police, Mafia, Real Estate Guys etc... I'm not being funny its just a strange phrase or term for a farang to use.

How about senior Thai guys who are on the new Thai constitution drafting commitee. I'm not sure how influential that makes them but they have more influence than the average Tongrob or Chaivat me thinks. I'll let you decide.

Yes to the first one but you'll have to wait until after I have heard what they have to say about it tomorrow morning at the guillitine meeting

No to the second one but I know who you mean and i'll pass on the message

Edited by Casanundra

How about senior Thai guys who are on the new Thai constitution drafting commitee. I'm not sure how influential that makes them but they have more influence than the average Tongrob or Chaivat me thinks. I'll let you decide.

Yes to the first one but you'll have to wait until after I have heard what they have to say about it tomorrow morning at the guillitine meeting

No to the second one but I know who you mean and i'll pass on the message

Sorry but your posts just don't seem to ring very true, seriously these guys wont listen to diplomats from the worlds most powerful countries and yet you write a poem and its all go because you point out some awkward points about the FBA?

Sorry but your posts just don't seem to ring very true, seriously these guys wont listen to diplomats from the worlds most powerful countries and yet you write a poem and its all go because you point out some awkward points about the FBA?

Funny! Who said they where listening or being convinced. For all I know it could be the firing squad. All I have done is post something that happened at work today and what will happen tomorrow. I didn't ask them to come and see me, nor did I ask them to arrange a meeting for the morning. Personally, I would prefer not to discuss it further as it may put me in an awkward position as I have made certain points of view quite clear in the paper (not poem). But hey, thanks for your insights though. Would you now like to tell me where I work next and what my bosses name is and how about telling me the phone number of my secretary or what the next lottery number will be. If you get any of the above right then do come and sit with me in the meeting tomorrow and you can hold my hand while we wait. I may even buy you an ice cream afterwards.

Edited by Casanundra

I first went to Thailand in 1999,i thought it was a great place on my first couple of visits but i have noticed that the various powers that be in Thailand have made it more and more difficult for foreigners to visitnot harder to vist --- wrong ,open businessnever been easy or even reside in the countryhasn't changed too much really ... if you were doing it legally.Even silly things like the overstay fine being continually hiked up through the yearsone hike --- not continually,the different tax brackets for foreigners,if a Thai and a foreigner have a fight the police will always side with the Thainot accurate again,in fact just about every time a policeman in Thailand pulls a foreigner on a motorbikehave been stopped about 15 times here in Phuket and have paid nothing ... of course I had a helmet on, was on the correct side of the road, and have a DL it costs him money and now this thing about foreigners only being allowed 90 days per year in Thailandwrong again .... 90 out of 180 ... UNLESS you have a visa... why would a tourist BE here for more than 90 days?.I could go on for ages,everyone that has spent any decent length of time in Thailand will know what i am talking about.I have in the past couple of years being going to Cambodia and frequently Malaysia,both myself my mates and our Thai girlfriends see the difference.These other countries are more friendly and geared up to welcome tourists not to discourage and rip them off as my beloved Thailand has become.I wonder what the powers that be in Thailand would do if all the foreigners stayed away a year or two,i think all these stupid things like foreigners only being allowed 90 days maximum in one year,and other stupid rules like that would be reversed.Have they never heard of the man that killed the golden goose.If the tourists stopped coming it would be disastrous for the economy my question is what would the powers that be in Thailand do then?

Tourists aren't gonna stay away .... think it through. (getting your facts right would help too!)

With all due respect, isn't this a superfluous question? SOTC

Probably,. Just curious, that's all.

Not sure, but I suppose you could ask them? :o

Hey, why didn't I think of that? That's why you're a moderator, making the big bucks. :D Will do.

Funny! Who said they where listening or being convinced. For all I know it could be the firing squad. All I have done is post something that happened at work today and what will happen tomorrow. I didn't ask them to come and see me, nor did I ask them to arrange a meeting for the morning. Personally, I would prefer not to discuss it further as it may put me in an awkward position as I have made certain points of view quite clear in the paper (not poem). But hey, thanks for your insights though. Would you now like to tell me where I work next and what my bosses name is and how about telling me the phone number of my secretary or what the next lottery number will be. If you get any of the above right then do come and sit with me in the meeting tomorrow and you can hold my hand while we wait. I may even buy you an ice cream afterwards.

Well,I do hope that you don't get the DCM tomorrow.

be very interested to know the outcome,that is if you are in a position to post anything about it.

Dunno but from your previous posts I guessed you work at a University, or in Education - Not sure how this ties into "influential people" exactly.

Dunno but from your previous posts I guessed you work at a University, or in Education - Not sure how this ties into "influential people" exactly.

Maybe the "influential people" wants to listen to a true blue foreigner, who has roots in thailand, and get some views as to what the foreigners here in thailand feels about the current political situation. Would that be a likely scenario?