Papers Please! BTS Cash Card Users Must Disclose Personal Info

webfact

Papers Please! BTS Cash Card Users Must Disclose Personal Info

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201703151256317-20170208173401-696x463.j

A file photo of the BTS.

BANGKOK — Starting in nine days, commuters who pay their skytrain fares with top-up cards must give up their ID card numbers, email addresses and phone numbers to the system’s operator.

Citing a clause in 20-year-old anti-money legislation, the BTS said its so-called Rabbit Cards could be used for illicit financial activities and therefore must be registered. The explanation didn’t fly on social media, where many suspected ulterior motives.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2019/02/06/papers-please-bts-cash-card-users-must-disclose-personal-info/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-06

9 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

So what IF as a foreigner you're not carrying a passport or any other form of ID. Are they just going to refuse to top up your card and make you get a taxi?

Single journey tickets are still available without ID check. Only the Rabbit cards that can be top up and use in many other shops outside of BTS will require ID to buy.

Daft as used the Metro last month, returning to the car Park, min charge 100 baht if you have the ticket + Must show I.D/Passport....... Just to park your car ??  told cashier no have, she had to phone someone 1st to ask what to do..... ! after some time and car tooting behind her opened the barrier..  [ I did have it on me, but no way will I give my Passport to some car park employee ]

Edit: Taxi is 70 something baht to my home, so will be the 1st and last time using Bang Yai Park and Ride

Edited by ignis
  • Like 2

I had similar experience with my 7-Eleven Smart Purse card which I usually top up with Bt 500 at a time. They explained that it is now compulsory to register the Smart Purse card with my ID and phone number otherwise I cannot top up again. I tried to register with my Thai driving licence and passport, but the cashier said they will only accept Thai national ID cards.

Inked7-Eleven Smart Purse_LI.jpg

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the BTS said its so-called Rabbit Cards could be used for illicit financial activities and therefore must be registered.

Another butt kisser in the system trying impress the big bosses by showing a mindless, enthusiasm for petty authoritarianism. It's a brave new BTS.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1

It is annoying here that you have to hand over a copy of your entire identity for the slightest things. Last week I had to hand over everything (including car chassis number) just for a bloody parking permit card to display at work. They are probably logging the flavour of sandwich I buy from the on site coffee shop each day too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greyhat said:

I forgot about the ticket machines, but it'd still be annoying if they wouldn't allow you to top up without a passport.

It's not the topping up it's buying them in the first place. 

This country is going into overdrive now - can you imagine the ferocious queues of people needing loose change for the ticketing machine as they cannot top up their rabbit card anymore? 

A much simpler possibility against the money-laundering scheme on the rabbit card (let that sink in for a moment - please!) would be to limit, how much money you can park onto a card. Many food courts have cash cards, maximum is B 1000; once used you go and top up (without birth certificate, DNA sample and family tree confirmation going 450 years back)! 

• Like 2

An important point, it's not BTS that's demanding this, it's the operator of Rabbit (BSS) and the Thai government.

Rabbit, unlike the MRT card, is classed as an e-money system (it's not just transit). BTS/BSS have been fending this off for some time (years) but finally had to capitulate.

Also, it's my understanding that you only need to register once (like you did your mobile SIM), needing ID every time would blow the Rabbit business model out of the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's ridiculous and stupid....

Either they're going to change the rule, I'm going to give them bogus info, or I'll go back to cash tickets.

BTS has no need or business to be demanding that kind of info from riders that's totally unrelated to their service and business.

Money laundering my a**!!!!!

For sure they will start calling you and sending sms and crap.

Same when i go change money, they have large forms which i have to fill in...i give them false info or don't do it at all and nothing happens, they just change it.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Don't know why the BTS don't just go back to the old top up cards. Why do they need Rabbit?

I like the Rabbit, always top up untill 4000 baht and use it all the time.

But i even won't use the bts anymore if i have to show id to use it, come on...

5 hours ago, chillimuncher said:

I tried to register with my Thai driving licence and passport, but the cashier said they will only accept Thai national ID cards.

Inked7-Eleven Smart Purse_LI.jpg

That may come next: foreigners not being able to buy or top-up BTS cards, cause they 'do not possess Thai ID cards'... ????

Many BTS counter employees hardly understand English. I wonder how they would struggle reading a foreign passport... ???? 

Edited by StayinThailand2much