The older I get, the more I am ignored here!

Neeranam

Definitely changing attitude among the younger generation. They seldom dip their heads are often loud. I think that the Red Shirt business changed attitudes, very few people got ‘nailed’ ar the WTC.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Confused 8

coffee shop, Big C, Home Pro or restaurant.  I tell my wife what I want, then go  and sit down with my KIndle or ipad and leave her to it.  I did the same for her for 20 odd years in the UK, now its her turn. I personally love not getting involved with the staff. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There are two things a Thai can do to get on my good side.  First, speak to me like they would anyone else and second, be shocked when they discover my true age????, not what they initially thought, after talking for a while.  I don't appreciate the whole tourist treatment and fortunately I seldom encounter people like that.

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

Quite simply the number of retired, elderly Western men here increased hugely in those 30 years. You are now, by looks, included in that group who often dont speak Thai. 

While I'm neither retired nor, ahem, 'elderly' (early 50s, own hair and teeth), you're spot on about the massive increase in the number of Westerners. Also Westerners speaking Thai. When I first came to live here in the late 80s it was quite rare to meet any farang who spoke Thai well. Now there are loads.

In any case, it doesn't matter how well you speak Thai because, to any Thai who doesn't know you, you're just some random old white guy. But I can take some small comfort from the fact that, years ago, I used to work with Peter Ungphakorn, one of Ajarn Puey Ungphakorn's sons. However Peter looked like a farang so despite being a son of a former Governor of the Bank of Thailand and Rector of Thammasat (shamefully hounded from Thailand after the events of 1976), he frequently got the "you, you!" treatment, and people telling him that he "phuut Thai keng" (of course he was native fluent). 

The only thing that is guaranteed to get my gander up is a waiter / waitress telling me to "ror sak khru" when whatever you've ordered hasn't materialised after 30 minutes. But I guess that's because I'm on my way to becoming 'elderly'.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Happens to me when I don't wear a shirt.  However, normally they speak to me and hand me the menu and hand me the bill and hand me the change. 

I once met a girlfriend when I was drunk and had no shoes on. She never spoke to me again.