Interpol Red Notice sought for Greek suspect over Phuket beautician murder

snoop1130

Interpol Red Notice sought for Greek suspect over Phuket beautician murder

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1550659324_1-org.jpg

Greek national Dimitrios Chairopoulos was recorded as clearing Immigration at Phuket International Airport to board a flight to Dubai just hours after Ms Niramon was last seen alive.

PHUKET:-- Cherng Talay Police have filed a request for Interpol to issue Red Notice for the arrest of 42-year-old Greek national Dimitrios Chairopoulos, who is wanted for the murder of Phuket beautician Niramon Aewkaew.

The request was submitted with the Foreign Affairs Division of the Royal Thai Police and the Office of the Attorney-General in Bangkok yesterday, Cherng Talay Police Chief Col Serm Kwannimit confirmed to The Phuket News today (Feb 20).

“The request is for the Royal Thai Police to ask Interpol to issue a Red Notice for the arrest of Chairopoulos,” Col Serm added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/interpol-red-notice-sought-for-greek-suspect-over-phuket-beautician-murder-70458.php#joA3XCJKUHF3lsEX.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-20

35 minutes ago, madmen said:

looks like there is an extradition agreement or why else would hey bother

There is no formal extradition treaty between Thailand and Greece, but that does not mean he cannot be extradited back here.

It would be a very complex, and long drawn out process, but, if he has committed the murder, it is possible it could be done. Also, should he travel to any other country that does have a formal extradition treaty, he will be arrested on arrival, and the process to return him here would be a lot easier. 

Cherng Talay Police have filed a request for Interpol to issue Red Notice for the arrest of 42-year-old Greek national Dimitrios Chairopoulos, who is wanted for the murder of Phuket beautician Niramon Aewkaew.

Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence? They have found him guilty already!

On 2/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, Maejo Man said:

Cherng Talay Police have filed a request for Interpol to issue Red Notice for the arrest of 42-year-old Greek national Dimitrios Chairopoulos, who is wanted for the murder of Phuket beautician Niramon Aewkaew.

Whatever happened to the presumption of innocence? They have found him guilty already!

A western concept.

**** Removed post and the reply edited out ****

6 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

A Red Notice is a request to locate and provisionally arrest an individual pending extradition. It is issued by the General Secretariat at the request of a member country or an international tribunal based on a valid national arrest warrant.

The issue of a red notice does not dispense with the principle of innocent until proven guilty.  Evidence that the alleged murderer may be guilty of the offence has been laid before court and it has considered there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, therefore an arrest warrant is issued for his detention in order that he can be brought before the court to face the charges.  A court will later decide, on submission of all evidence, whether he is guilty or not.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Normally they will provided death sentence will not be asked for.

Yes but if the country has the death penalty and there's always the chance then as I said most countries won't extradite and I think Interpol will not get involved either.

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

Yes but if the country has the death penalty and there's always the chance then as I said most countries won't extradite and I think Interpol will not get involved either.

Both statements are incorrect.

But if you want to believe that, please keep doing so.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:09 PM, stevenl said:

Both statements are incorrect.

But if you want to believe that, please keep doing so.

They uk and many others will not extradite a person to a country that may sentence them to the death penalty.its all covered by international human rights.they they will if given assurance that the person will not receive the death penalty or executed but otherwise they won't extradite.as for Interpol they are in a grey area and will only assist the the law in that country.many countries have different rules so we could argue the toss all day long.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, Maejo Man said:

No need to prove Mens Rea. He is a foreigner and therefore guilty by default.

18 hours ago, happy chappie said:

They uk and many others will not extradite a person to a country that may sentence them to the death penalty.its all covered by international human rights.they they will if given assurance that the person will not receive the death penalty or executed but otherwise they won't extradite.as for Interpol they are in a grey area and will only assist the the law in that country.many countries have different rules so we could argue the toss all day long.

"they they will if given assurance that the person will not receive the death penalty or executed"

Which is what I said, "Normally they will provided death sentence will not be asked for" to which you responded " Yes but if the country has the death penalty and there's always the chance then as I said most countries won't extradite and I think Interpol will not get involved either. ".

Glad you have come to see the light now and we agree on this.

18 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I won't bother to try to address most of the incorrect statements made here, but will suggest you look up the Lee Aldhouse case

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I won't bother to try to address most of the incorrect statements made here, but will suggest you look up the Lee Aldhouse case

Yes i know of that case and the Thai authorities had to reassure the British government that he would not receive the death penalty or be executed before they would extradite him else they would not of sent him back here.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

"they they will if given assurance that the person will not receive the death penalty or executed"

Which is what I said, "Normally they will provided death sentence will not be asked for" to which you responded " Yes but if the country has the death penalty and there's always the chance then as I said most countries won't extradite and I think Interpol will not get involved either. ".

Glad you have come to see the light now and we agree on this.

I know of this because of the lee alder case of stabbing the US marine in phuket a few years back.

17 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I know of this because of the lee alder case of stabbing the US marine in phuket a few years back.

So that's why you were giving incorrect information first, but finally saw the light.

Sorry would have been sufficient.

Archived