Who is actually leaving?

jvs

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Out of the 7 or 8 friends (aged 50-70) I made in Chiang Mai over the last 10 years

4 died, 1 returned to Australia, 1 returned to the UK, 2 are living in Cambodia.

I'm the only one left out of the group I knew.

3-4 of us still meet up every year, last year it was HCMC, this year it was Siam Reap.

I guess what else can you say? 

If your around 60+ now, then you probably got the best of Thailand.

Crazy nights and crazier women, they gotta come to and end sometime! 

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Do not go gentle into that good night."

-Dylan Thomas

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Western 50 year olds will be lucky to get a pension anywhere, it's becoming a thing of the past, work until you drop.

Yes fully agree, hence why I have based my future retirement on being fully self funded. The issue with that is determining how much a person will need and for how long, which are both best guess estimates only. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, tabarin said:

Agree but luckily the average English does not get much worse than it is here in Thailand lol.

My own; I started planning towards exit out of Thailand with wife and child at least, not 100% sure yet but fair chance we will within 2 years (Vietnam or Portugal) if Thailand keeps going down this road and exchange rates remain so horrible. Not because I can't stay but just because I am tired of the nonsense here, over priced education, pollution, less nice expats and tourists, less fun at the bars etc. etc. etc.

Thai food can be cooked anywhere, the climate and nature can be found at many places and it is no longer easy and cheap,
most benefits of living in TH can be found elsewhere at a lower price and with higher quality / service.

I know 4-5 people myself who left already and quite a few others who are either considering, planning or doing so within this year. 

I agree with what you say but from expats with whom I have discussed this their main concern is uncertainty ! Things like each immigration office having their own rules , moving the goal posts  etc I could go on . In retirement you want security  ,  certainty and continuity !  Just a personal observation but all  the problems seem to stem from corruption !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I left just because of the lack of opportunity. If you have one foot in the grave and need your adult diapers changed and your hemorrhoids attended to Thailand is great. If you like to work it is the wrong place.

to many land here , go crazy about the place and take up whatever low paying job is available , not even realizing the more years you work outside of your country the lower your pension will be or at least its that way in oz

Lots of different reasons for people to leave,i was thinking money would be main reason for moving elsewhere but it seems

there are other reasons as well.

I have no problem so far with immigration or the way people treat me,maybe i have not been here long enough but i feel at home.Doing the things i always wanted to do and learning as i go along.

Corruption is also mentioned and i can understand that also.

People leaving Thailand for another country in Asia will be disappointed imo.The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence but no country is perfect.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, BritManToo said:

All my single pals have already gone, most to Cambodia.

I'm stuck here with a house and kid.

Cambodia exchange rate unchanged as they use USD.

Philippine exchange rate 670peso/gbp Vs 690peso pre-brexit.

Peso mid-market rate currently 68.9 so almost the same as pre-Brexit.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 12:43 AM, dotpoom said:

I gave you a "like"....and then I thought ..hang on a minute ....the screaming loud motorbikes with the exhaust modifications....are slowly but surely making me think very strongly about leaving after being here for the past 19 yrs. The problem really is that nothing ever appears to be done about it?

Wherever you get motor bikes and young men you're always gonna get screaming loud exhaust modifications. I hate that racket as well and sometimes when in Pattaya they scare the sh!t out of me and many others especially in the sois where there are no recognisable pavements.

Unfortunately in the places where many ex pats are thinking of relocating to the local plod are unlikely to take the problem any more seriously than they do in the LOS.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Anyone remember Nam Era when 5 Cents U.S. was worth one Bht.?. If You can, try to think why it still isnt around that..its still just Rice, Tarts, n Tourists. Only big change is Car Assembly and they aint Thai.

It isn't? 

Last I looked it is. 1thb = $.03

That's around 5 cents US

<deleted> are you on about?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, None The Wiser said:

I come here first time with my wife, I'm leaving tonight now and wont return.

Its been bad time for us, so many problems at hotel, airport, taxi, restaurant. we cant wait to get back to Ghana where it's so peaceful in comparison.

You must be a magnet for problems then. Given some research and patience, I've had few to none of those problems, and most of the thousands of other tourists haven't either.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:44 AM, swissie said:

I figure I will have to work 15 more years at which time I will be 72.

At that point I would have no financial issues what so ever.

Jeeeezus Swissie   !    at 72 it's a bit late to have no financial issues .....   sounds like you won't be seeing Issan again.   When one gets to 70 it's near the end and we don't know when we will knock on the door .....    :whistling: