Laos to stop booze sales before 4:00pm

Cereal

I just read in the news here that the government wants to stop the sales of alcohol before 4:00pm. rarely have I heard anything more ineffectual and guaranteed to fail.

I'll keep an eye on this. I got some drinking to do, it's nearly 6:30pm!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Another SEA country that treats its citizens like little children, and I thought Thailand was bad with its periodic daily bans but LAOS has taken it to a new level. What next, a maximum purchase of 3 cans of beer? It worries me when I see this level of control by the government.

Sure fresh bread and cheap wine is attractive but gorging on Fresh bread and after draining the 20th bottle of red and the honeymoon  is over people gonna start wondering how the hell they ended up in LAOS ??

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Another SEA country that treats its citizens like little children, and I thought Thailand was bad with its periodic daily bans but LAOS has taken it to a new level. What next, a maximum purchase of 3 cans of beer? It worries me when I see this level of control by the government.

Sure fresh bread and cheap wine is attractive but gorging on Fresh bread and after draining the 20th bottle of red and the honeymoon  is over people gonna start wondering how the hell they ended up in LAOS ??

I'm not for nanny govts but if it helps deter the rampant alcohol problems in many developing SE asian countries than maybe not such a bad idea.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Confused 1

Some of you guys are funny, 2 years ago went to a friends sons wedding in Laos. They have two past times there going to weddings and drinking. At the reception there was a unused room filled to the cieling with Beer lao, Carlsberg, and Tudor, for the uninformed Beer Lao is brewed by Carlsberg at the same brewery that Carsberg and Tudor are brewed at. From the end of the rainy season till it starts again there are weddings every weekend, these are big money, our wedding over 1,000 people invited between 500 and 700 people showed up. Every table had a bottle of Black Label, bottle of red wine, white wine, and of course beer. There is defiantly a drinking and driving problem on the scale of Thailand or bigger. My friend who works in the states is ready to come home to Laos, his reason O I can drink all I want and drive with no real problems of enforcement.

• Like 1

Laos is a fine place to visit and drinking Beer Lao by the Mekong River in Luang Prabang, Vientiane or Thakaek is relaxing, enjoyable and one of life`s affordable pleasures. For those who want to drink overpriced beer while playing pool with uneducated Isaan bar girls, better to stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2019 at 6:33 PM, Cereal said:

You are correct about the beer. I grew up in Germany and lived in Canada for 30+ years: 2 countries well respected for their beer. Beerlao beats them all.

I often buy beer Lao and beer Lao black, open both and mix 50/50,,, wonderful.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, Cereal said:

Well, lets wait and see. I've lived here for over 13 years and it certainly can appear boring unless you know where to go and what to do.

I like that! It tends to keep the dregs of society away. They all go to Thailand LOL

The thing is, the majority of alcohol sales is beer and beer is available everywhere. The girl across my soi in her rinky dink hair washing place sells beer.

I agree that anyplace can be boring for boring people with small horizons. Booze is not the center of my universe here in Thailand; rather service, fellowship and getting involved in the community of which I call home. I wish eveyone who lives in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or elsewhere, a happy life lighting a candle in the darkness.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, tlandtday said:

If boring means safe they have a leg up on Thailand.

You feel unsafe in Thailand? I feel safer her than I do in many places in the U.S.. I've been here more than 10 years and the stories and my experiences of kindness and helpfulness far outweigh the opposite.

1 hour ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Laos is a fine place to visit and drinking Beer Lao by the Mekong River in Luang Prabang, Vientiane or Thakaek is relaxing, enjoyable and one of life`s affordable pleasures. For those who want to drink overpriced beer while playing pool with uneducated Isaan bar girls, better to stay in Thailand.

mmmm let me see now. Nah Think I will stay Thailand. How desperate are you if you cant afford a pint of beer in Thailand?

Careful dengue fever is a bitch ! enjoy staring at your mosquito infested muddy river ????

pool.jpg

meek.jpg

6 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I'm not for nanny govts but if it helps deter the rampant alcohol problems in many developing SE asian countries than maybe not such a bad idea.

The USA tried banning it all together and look how that ended. Whenever governments try to ban something it just drives it underground and encourages criminality.

20 hours ago, tlandtday said:

cates4ever have you ever been to a rural village in thailand?  If you have you will understand my comment better.

19 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Or just go to parts of China today, where you are under constant surveillance

Went to China recently, nobody watched me, nobody cared where I was or where I was going.

Showing my passport to buy a train ticket was about the limit of their surveillance.

Dunno why this BS keeps getting repeated.

Nobody cares anymore.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, BritManToo said:

Laos probably the most boring country in SEA ...... now got duller.

Why's that?

Not enough hookers?

No go go bars?

IMO, Laos is like TH was 20-30 years ago.

Lovely people, stunning scenery.

VTNE is my favourite city in SE Asia, although i have not yet been to Vietnam.

Certainly nicer than anywhere here in TH.

Edit;

never been to the rooftop bar on the river front, the Bor Bpen Yang?

Or the spit and sawdust bar on 2nd road, the Samlor?

21 hours ago, madmen said:

Don't worry.

It aint gonna happen.

The Laos government knows how to keep the population happy and in check.

Which is plenty of food on the table and beer in the fridge.

Edited by thaiguzzi