Retirement Visa Exception to Policy?

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, 65 is pretty much the normal retirement age for social security.

Not sure where you are getting 55....

Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive. Minimal changes for those of us that have previously always qualified and followed the rules/law.

Could careless about the Cambodia Visa system the country is a low level third world mess.

Many US citizens start taking Social Security at 62 and 55 is what Jingthing heard is the age set by Cambodia for not needing financial proof for a retirement visa. I do not think Jingthing meant people draw social security at 55.  You really have to follow the trail of posts to see what is being said.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

At age of 43 you cannot get a 'retirement' visa, you have to be at least 50 years old and meet the financial requirements.

Some posters suggested the Elite Visa option, but that's a very expensive method and only worth considering if money doesn't matter at all.

A worthwhile alternative to consider would be a applying for an METV (multiple entry Tourist Visa).  That would allow you to stay 6 months + 60 days + one additional 30 day extension in Thailand (almost 9 months).  However on an METV, you will have to do a visa run every 2 months.

When you live relatively close to a land border point or enjoy visiting neighbouring countries over land or by air, an METV would be a good solution.  But it does mean that you have to go back to your home country at least every 9 months (to apply for a new METV, which you can only get in your home country).  If you combine this with visiting family/friends, an METV is worth considering. 

The additional advantage being that you will not be harassed by Thai immigration for too many visa exempts. 

Well, I can't say that I agree that the Thailand Elite Easy Access visa is 'very expensive' since, at THB 500,000 (about USD 15,000), someone in the workforce or recently retired below 50 with enough money to 'retire' should be able to swing that without thinking twice.

After all, as a 5 year visa with the ability to stretch it to 6 years if timed correctly, that works out to about USD 2,500 per year or about USD 200 per month - the cost of a few good nights out per month and surely a lot less than a 9-month cycle of trips 'back home' to get a new METV, not to mention the cost and aggravation of visa runs.

As well, one must also consider the possibility that, at some point in the future, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, under which embassies and consulates fall, may decide to change the criteria and or put a stop to one getting continuous METVs.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But can be cancelled by the police at any time for any reason (as the Spaniard found) is a little off putting.

That goes for any visa anywhere in the world

And the Spaniard has had some serious criminal charges made against him, likely not just on a whim

Well, I can't say that I agree that the Thailand Elite Easy Access visa is 'very expensive' since, at THB 500,000 (about USD 15,000), someone in the workforce or recently retired below 50 with enough money to 'retire' should be able to swing that without thinking twice.

After all, as a 5 year visa with the ability to stretch it to 6 years if timed correctly, that works out to about USD 2,500 per year or about USD 200 per month - the cost of a few good nights out per month and surely a lot less than a 9-month cycle of trips 'back home' to get a new METV, not to mention the cost and aggravation of visa runs.

As well, one must also consider the possibility that, at some point in the future, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, under which embassies and consulates fall, may decide to change the criteria and or put a stop to one getting continuous METVs.
Oh come on. It is expensive. Question - - is there also an annual fee and if so how much?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

That goes for any visa anywhere in the world

And the Spaniard has had some serious criminal charges made against him, likely not just on a whim

He said, she said within 24hrs of the alleged crime.

Sounds like a whim to me, but I still get warm feelings about justice, rule of law, evidence, due process, which nobody else seems to care about. Surely it should have been up to a judge to decide?

So we have VISA cancelled for alleged rape, being caught with a vape, what next VISA cancelled for jaywalking?

Where does it end?

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

With METV, IOs can still deny entry at airport for perpetual tourists, unless of course on uses all those land borders like migrant workers. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The volunteer does some tree-planting and such 1 or 2 days/wk, pays the lawyer/agent fees (who handle paperwork and attend immigration with them - no waiting time), plus donates some cash to the organization.

While I'm all in favour of social responsibility, this visa option sounds an awful lot like community service in the west. Rather than facing jail after committing a crime, the offender is sentenced to a couple of days a week planting trees or picking up litter and given a fine to pay. 

“VISA cancelled without trial same day as arrest, then retrospectively placed on overstay.

And you say 'With good reason', I'm glad you aren't a trail judge, "no need for evidence lads, he's guilty, hang him".”

This does not happen often to “innocent” men. You dont have to live here if you think otherwise. 

There are many counties that could be your paradise with all in your favor.  They are just waiting for you to land. ????????

15 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

Or, they could live well for a full year in Thailand (or nearby) on that amount.  A Visa-cost of 20% overhead (over  5 years) is beyond excessive - especially with the offers available in other countries in the region which cost about $1,500 for 5 years (10% of the Elite cost, w/o money in the bank or similar hurdles).

15 hours ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

When/if that happens, would be the time to reconsider one's options.  No sense blowing a year's retirement overhead expenses in anticipation of what may or may not happen.  He could always buy the Elite later, after having spent more time here other ways. 

I'd start with an METV - getting familiar with some neighboring countries during that time - then do an ED-Visa/extensions if things are going well (learn the language), then consider other options after that. 

At 43 years old, and with a (claimed) income of at least 65k bt/month. I'm sure there must be loads of young Thai ladies that would happily take te OP into their marital bed, and allow him the possibility of staying here on a married visa.

.....but the Elite may work out substantially cheaper in the long run. 

;-))

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, steve73 said:

At 43 years old, and with a (claimed) income of at least 65k bt/month. I'm sure there must be loads of young Thai ladies that would happily take te OP into their marital bed, and allow him the possibility of staying here on a married visa.

Yes, but who in their right mind would take them up on their offer? Many IOs nowadays seem hell-bent to make the process for extensions based on marriage as denigrating an experience as possible.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:10 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Elite if you have 1m baht spare for a 20 year visa.

Alternatively try with the METV but you need to return home every year

other elite choices exist.  500k baht for 5 year, and 800k baht for 10 year.

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

other elite choices exist.  500k baht for 5 year, and 800k baht for 10 year.

For the 5 year one does anyone know if there is an additional annual fee, and if so how much?

I am still open to going down the Elite rathole but besides the expense I don't consider it 100 percent guaranteed that it will really be good for that long. They can always change the conditions. What are you going to do if they do that, complain to the United Nations?   But one thing about 5 years is that it seems it would be more likely to be good for 5 years rather than a full 10 or 20 years. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

For the 5 year one does anyone know if there is an additional annual fee, and if so how much?

I am still open to going down the Elite rathole but besides the expense I don't consider it 100 percent guaranteed that it will really be good for that long. They can also change the conditions. But one thing about 5 years is that it seems it would be more likely to be good for 5 years rather than a full 10 or 20 years. 

Don't you have to have insurance for the Elite or if not what happens if they begin to require insurance for other long stay visas?

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Don't you have to have insurance for the Elite or if not what happens if they begin to require insurance for other long stay visas?

An extremely good point. As far as I know you do not currently require health insurance to purchase an Elite Card. 

But as the trend is requiring health insurance for long term extensions (not done yet but the Thai government is already seriously working on that), it's only logical that such a requirement might be expanded to include the "Elite" people.

How would they enforce that?

It doesn't seem that hard.

If you're still in Thailand after a given year, you need to apply for extension at your local immigration, where they could easily require the health insurance proof to approve.

OR if you avoid that and keep reentering at the airport, they could do the exact same thing upon entering from abroad.

So for people that for some reason can't obtain the required coverage that have paid big money to be in the "Elite" that could be money down the drain.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, scubascuba3 said:
On 3/3/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ctkong said:
You can get the cheaper 5 year elite visa which can be extended an extra year before the visa expire .that would be 6 years .you are 43 so with some METV juggling for a year , you can qualify for RV when aged 50. By the way, before you apply for Thai elite visa, make sure you have at most only one overstay. Anymore than that, you may get disqualified by the immigration. So tread carefully. 

but 5 year is 500k, 20 year 1m baht, its worth the extra 500k for 15 years if that's your thing

My advice would be to do any METV juggling now and EV later - things are only going to get harder and theremay be no METV juggling 6 years hence.

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

They've covered that already, it's 400K in a Thai bank, or an income of 65K a month even if you don't need 65K for living expenses.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They've covered that already, it's 400K in a Thai bank, or an income of 65K a month even if you don't need 65K for living expenses.

That has nothing to do with the Elite card visa. Those on Elite aren't required to have any income or bank account balance. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That has nothing to do with the Elite card visa. Those on Elite aren't required to have any income or bank account balance. 

If you can afford 500,800, or 1,000,000K for an Elite Visa, your very low risk when it comes to paying for any medical treatment.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you can afford 500,800, or 1,000,000K for an Elite Visa, your very low risk when it comes to paying for any medical treatment.

You might be surprised. 

In any case, that really is NOT the issue here.

The issue obviously is that with buying an elite card, there are still risks it might not be good for the stated length. 

One of those risks is if they require people with Elite to prove health insurance upon annual renewal or airport entries. This is clearly in the realm of POSSIBLE.

No problem for people that can meet the requirement but a big problem for those that can't. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am still open to going down the Elite rathole but besides the expense I don't consider it 100 percent guaranteed that it will really be good for that long. They can always change the conditions. What are you going to do if they do that, complain to the United Nations?   But one thing about 5 years is that it seems it would be more likely to be good for 5 years rather than a full 10 or 20 years. 

In general I think one still has to do the 1900 baht yearly extension fee.  And in general one still has to do 90 day reports, although Elite company apparently will handle those for you in several of the cities, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai I think also. 

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

In general I think one still has to do the 1900 baht yearly extension fee.  And in general one still has to do 90 day reports, although Elite company apparently will handle those for you in several of the cities, Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai I think also. 

Yes you do need to do the 90 day address reports.

But I'm pretty sure that otherwise you never need to visit immigration if you time your air travel well as you get a new one year stay on each entry. A five year card can thus be expanded to six year. 

IF you are in Thailand after a year stay and you don't travel, then yes then you must apply for an extension at immigration. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A five year card can thus be expanded to six year. 

You get a 5 year PE visa. The card only confirms your membership in Thai Elite. The visa is a multiple entry visa that can be stretched to 6 years but the 5 year membership will end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You get a 5 year PE visa. The card only confirms your membership in Thai Elite. The visa is a multiple entry visa that can be stretched to 6 years but the 5 year membership will end.

Good clarification of correct terminology but the mechanics I suggested are the same in practice. Buy 5 years but get 6 if you play it correctly which isn't hard to do.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There is no annual fee. But if you don’t leave the country within the year you need to pay the standard 1,900 fee for an extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I haven't seen anything that it's required for any flavor of the Elite visa - don't forget, the TE is a type of tourist visa and, it seems to me, designed for frequent visitors rather than long-stayers.

I think folks are likely getting prematurely worked up over the prospect of medical insurance for long-term visas - I'm an American and I was reviewing the requirements for an O-X visa (just for fun - quite a laugh and the TE haters really should be focusing on THAT one) on the U.S. Thailand embassy website and they list several several companies to fulfill the medical insurance requirement for an O-X.

I took a look at several of the policies and while the coverage limits weren't great, the price was pretty inexpensive, so if there were to be a medical insurance coverage requirement put in place at some point in the future, it could likely be satisfied pretty easily and inexpensively.