Retirement Visa Exception to Policy?

SooL unfortunately. From 41- 50 I did double entry tourist visas for a few years then  then Non-Imm O based on volunteer work (for 4 years IIRC). This was always subject to potential change but fortunately it worked (and was legal) for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PiMi said:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses.

The Philippines will accept you. With pension option there is a deposit of $10,000.00 (which pays a small amount of interest) with a yearly subscription of $360. Pension needs a one time only statement from your pension provider and does not need to be paid to a Philippine bank.

The visa is lifetime so no further visits to immigration. It's called the Special residents retirement visa (SRRV) and is from the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) It has many benefits including the ability to work or invest. 

They also have agents who assist you with the paperwork free of charge.  Google to find out more.

Edited by coppywriter
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are reports of it being every 2 months for some, although I don't know the criteria for that. 

From the reports I have read so far, the 2-mo reporting is punishment for honest folks - when the student has not paid the "extra."

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Also could volunteer part-time - popular in Chiang Mai - though that also involves some "extra fees."

Hey Jack I am surprised I was not familiar with the volunteering thing you mention here....Do you have more info on how it works? Thanks 

There were some posts about it a year + ago.  From memory, the way it works, is through a non-profit in the area working with a lawyer/agent.  The volunteer does some tree-planting and such 1 or 2 days/wk, pays the lawyer/agent fees (who handle paperwork and attend immigration with them - no waiting time), plus donates some cash to the organization.

I just did a google search and the 2nd hit was chaing mai buddy offering this at a cost of 35K Baht.

Note that in that area you can also take "self defense" classes taught by ex-army guys, who get your extensions w/o problem thanks to their rank/connections.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

"You must be at least 50 to apply for a “retirement visa”."

Any rational for this minimum age?

The average member of The Forbes 400 is, at 67,  old enough to retire. But 14 members of the new Forbes list of America's 400 richest people -- including the fourth richest person on the list --  are under 40. https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2017/10/17/14-under-40-meet-the-youngest-billionaires-on-the-forbes-400-2017/#1eb031173e74

• Confused 2

At age of 43 you cannot get a 'retirement' visa, you have to be at least 50 years old and meet the financial requirements.

Some posters suggested the Elite Visa option, but that's a very expensive method and only worth considering if money doesn't matter at all.

A worthwhile alternative to consider would be a applying for an METV (multiple entry Tourist Visa).  That would allow you to stay 6 months + 60 days + one additional 30 day extension in Thailand (almost 9 months).  However on an METV, you will have to do a visa run every 2 months.

When you live relatively close to a land border point or enjoy visiting neighbouring countries over land or by air, an METV would be a good solution.  But it does mean that you have to go back to your home country at least every 9 months (to apply for a new METV, which you can only get in your home country).  If you combine this with visiting family/friends, an METV is worth considering. 

The additional advantage being that you will not be harassed by Thai immigration for too many visa exempts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Thai Elite Visa is the only option for staying long term, under 50, unless married to a Thai, then there is no age restriction.

Actually having a child with a Thai national would be sufficient, you don't need to marry unless that's your thing. ????

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Correct answers above but you may be able to legally retire in nearby Cambodia until you're 50, then come on over (if you still want to). 

My current Cambodia retirement visa information is that if you're 55 and up you don't need to prove your finances, but if you're under 55 you will be required to show your finances meaning if you have solid proof of them, there is a good chance you get it.

Must be renewed annually. No bank deposits or imports requirement.

Cheers. 

Good post. 

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Elite if you have 1m baht spare for a 20 year visa.

Alternatively try with the METV but you need to return home every year

You can get the cheaper 5 year elite visa which can be extended an extra year before the visa expire .that would be 6 years .you are 43 so with some METV juggling for a year , you can qualify for RV when aged 50. By the way, before you apply for Thai elite visa, make sure you have at most only one overstay. Anymore than that, you may get disqualified by the immigration. So tread carefully. 

Edited by Ctkong

You can get the cheaper 5 year elite visa which can be extended an extra year before the visa expire .that would be 6 years .you are 43 so with some METV juggling for a year , you can qualify for RV when aged 50. By the way, before you apply for Thai elite visa, make sure you have at most only one overstay. Anymore than that, you may get disqualified by the immigration. So tread carefully. 
but 5 year is 500k, 20 year 1m baht, its worth the extra 500k for 15 years if that's your thing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

but 5 year is 500k, 20 year 1m baht, its worth the extra 500k for 15 years if that's your thing

But can be cancelled by the police at any time for any reason (as the Spaniard found) is a little off putting.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Actually having a child with a Thai national would be sufficient, you don't need to marry unless that's your thing. ????

It's still hard to get a VISA/extension, I'm doing it on 90 day non-os.

If you're gonna breed, do it in Vietnam, 5 year VISA for $40 as parent of a Viet child.

22 hours ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Most recent info I have seen states financials remain a requirement. PRAY TELL-- Can you provide further details or a link re: financials need not be proven for Cambo retirement visa?  Many thanks.   Paul

Unless it has very recently changed, there are no financial requirements for a retirement visa in Cambodia if over age 55. You just have to be the right age and pay the fee which is a little under $300 for a one year multiple entry visa.

There is no question the visa situation is easier in Cambodia than in Thailand by a long shot. But there are some downsides to retiring in Cambodia (abysmal health care being one; also high utility costs) so do your homework carefully before taking the plunge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless it has very recently changed, there are no financial requirements for a retirement visa in Cambodia if over age 55. You just have to be the right age and pay the fee which is a little under $300 for a one year multiple entry visa.

My pal (in his 60s) just paid $180 for 6 months, no financials required, no trips to immigration.

Pay an agent, leave your passport, collect a few days later (the more you pay the quicker it is returned).

It's called an ES extension of stay, you need to enter Cambodia and buy an Ordinary E VISA at entry for $35.

Edited by BritManToo

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But can be cancelled by the police at any time for any reason (as the Spaniard found) is a little off putting.

Do you have a link to info about one being canceled.

Yes that's true, i hadn't heard that. Strange it isn't available on the same basis as other visas. Maybe a good reason for it, anyway, not something i would do but if 30 i probably would

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you have a link to info about one being canceled.

"A police investigation found that the Spaniard, who works in the field of Internet marketing in Spain, had previously travelled in and out of Thailand 38 times and was holding a Thailand Privilege Card special entry visa issued for January 1 through December 31 this year, which had now been revoked by police because of his alleged crime, Surachet said."

Edited by BritManToo

49 minutes ago, Caldera said:
5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Thai Elite Visa is the only option for staying long term, under 50, unless married to a Thai, then there is no age restriction.

Actually having a Thai child is not sufficient. You need to be the legal parent of the child. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

"A police investigation found that the Spaniard, who works in the field of Internet marketing in Spain, had previously travelled in and out of Thailand 38 times and was holding a Thailand Privilege Card special entry visa issued for January 1 through December 31 this year, which had now been revoked by police because of his alleged crime, Surachet said."

With good reason I would say. It certainly was not done arbitrarily as your post implied.

And it does not say his PE visa was canceled. It only states his most recent entry from it was revoked.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With good reason I would say. It certainly was not done arbitrarily as your post implied.

And it does not say his PE visa was canceled. It only states his most recent entry from it was revoked.

VISA cancelled without trial same day as arrest, then retrospectively placed on overstay.

And you say 'With good reason', I'm glad you aren't a trail judge, "no need for evidence lads, he's guilty, hang him".

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is no question the visa situation is easier in Cambodia than in Thailand by a long shot. But there are some downsides to retiring in Cambodia (abysmal health care being one; also high utility costs) so do your homework carefully before taking the plunge.

Yeah, that matches the most current information that I've found, but of course you would know much better. 

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
40 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I get your point, but worth the extra is debatable. It’s still costing 33K per year for the extra 15 years.

IMO the PE visa is more about convenience than value for money.

And I still don’t like the idea of handing over 1M baht for a 20 year visa when it’s actually 4 x 5 year visas. If they actually gave me a 20 year ME visa for 1M baht I’d seriously consider it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

VISA cancelled without trial same day as arrest, then retrospectively placed on overstay.

And you say 'With good reason', I'm glad you aren't a trail judge, "no need for evidence lads, he's guilty, hang him".

TE membership can be cancelled “with good reason”.

Read the T&C’s; https://www.thailandelite.com/join-thailand-elite/elite-ultimate-privilege-membership?locate=en

Edited by elviajero

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, 65 is pretty much the normal retirement age for social security.

Not sure where you are getting 55....

Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive. Minimal changes for those of us that have previously always qualified and followed the rules/law.

Could careless about the Cambodia Visa system the country is a low level third world mess.

"Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive".  What????? :shock1::shock1::shock1::shock1:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, 65 is pretty much the normal retirement age for social security.

Not sure where you are getting 55....

Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive. Minimal changes for those of us that have previously always qualified and followed the rules/law.

Could careless about the Cambodia Visa system the country is a low level third world mess.

Cambodia a low level third world mess, and Thailand isn’t don’t make me laugh. What shithole do you come from

• Haha 1