Retirement Visa Exception to Policy?

Greetings everyone,

I looked around and didn't see what I was looking for in any existing posts. If I missed it, please forgive me for rehashing.

I'm 43 and retired. My monthly pension exceeds the required monthly income for the retirement visa, but I'm not yet 50.

I do not intend to work in Thailand and wondered if anyone knew of exception to policy for the 50-year old requirement for the retirement visa?

Sincere Thanks.

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Correct answers above but you may be able to legally retire in nearby Cambodia until you're 50, then come on over (if you still want to). 

My current Cambodia retirement visa information is that if you're 55 and up you don't need to prove your finances, but if you're under 55 you will be required to show your finances meaning if you have solid proof of them, there is a good chance you get it.

Must be renewed annually. No bank deposits or imports requirement.

Cheers. 

Most recent info I have seen states financials remain a requirement. PRAY TELL-- Can you provide further details or a link re: financials need not be proven for Cambo retirement visa?  Many thanks.   Paul

1 minute ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Most recent info I have seen states financials remain a requirement. PRAY TELL-- Can you provide further details or a link re: financials need not be proven for Cambo retirement visa?  Many thanks.   Paul

No, I can't but if you're over 55 and say you have social security for example, I think just showing your benefits letter would suffice. Regardless of current enforcement rules, the Cambodia system is a far cry from the massively onerous Thai system. I get it Thailand thinks they have a superior product … but is it that superior? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, I can't but if you're over 55 and say you have social security for example, I think just showing your benefits letter would suffice. Regardless of current enforcement rules, the Cambodia system is a far cry from the massively onerous Thai system. I get it Thailand thinks they have a superior product … but is it that superior? 

Thanks Jingthing. 

Paul

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

i like it!  nothing that special (for me) about thailand, i enjoy living and traveling in the region.  just depends on whether the thai girlfriend will move......

• Haha 2

Well, 65 is pretty much the normal retirement age for social security.

Not sure where you are getting 55....

Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive. Minimal changes for those of us that have previously always qualified and followed the rules/law.

Could careless about the Cambodia Visa system the country is a low level third world mess.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I see this all the time. Can you direct me to this visa. The visas Cambodia and Vietnam supply for xpats is a scam. By that I mean you pay an agent and obtain your ability to stay. Vietnam does not even have a retirement visa. However an agent will get a business visa, a requirement of which is letter from Vietnam company that your working for them. Not required (they provide that) and residence card. For fee. Having said all that it works fine.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No, options are married extension, or perhaps tourist elite.

Maybe an ED, but they seem difficult these days. 

ED isn't difficult, but costs more now days - just need to pay for the schooling and the "no hassle" immigration fees for extensions (through the school) every 3 mo.

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The visas Cambodia and Vietnam supply for xpats is a scam. By that I mean you pay an agent and obtain your ability to stay.

Agree with what you said about Vietnam (to the best of my knowledge) - so maybe that is not something to count on lasting very long. 

But the agent-fee in Cambodia is $25 or so per year - not a scammy-thing where are paying them off to skip requirements.  You can even start off in Cambodia with an "ordinary" VOA on entry, paying $5 more for this (published price - not a bribe) vs the Tourist-class VOA, right from the VOA office.

If they didn't want to give the OP a retirement one, he could get a work-permit and that suffices (last I read) for a 1 year visa - no need for fake-company, etc - unless this changed recently.

If the OP has disability or other pension, I would be surprised if this wasn't enough for Cambo to be quite happy issuing 1-year Multiple-Entry Visas (no need to leave the country every year, either).

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Back to reality. The OP SPECIFICALLY asked about Thailand. At 43 he has one option. Get a 5yr elite visa and on year or so either side milk the Thai system with various setv, METV, and visa exempt. Or other rubbish like ed  visa where you don't need attend class. 7 yrs easy then obtain non o ....

If going the SETV route, could do that in perpetuity unless/until it the laws are changed to prohibit it - or until no law-abiding entry-points exist (all land-borders but one are still good now).  The catch, of course, is the need for travel every 3 mo.  The METV is even better, in that the trips every 3-mo can be out/in same day, rather than staying out 2-3 days to get a visa.

ED does not preclude going to classes - might as well learn Thai if living here anyway - but may still need to pay immigration the extra in many locales, since they don't care if you attend class or not - just want their payoffs.

Also could volunteer part-time - popular in Chiang Mai - though that also involves some "extra fees."

As to the Elite - no one in their right mind would buy that, unless they had money to burn, given the amount of enjoyment one could get from that amount of money in Vietnam, the PI, or even Thailand, using other stay-options.  Maybe he has money to burn, in which case it is a good option, but should still start with a METV and make darn sure he really wants to live here at least 5 years.

The point of mentioning the other options, is to make clear that Thailand is no longer a good long-stay choice for many expats - thanks to immigration's policy-shifts - and make sure they are aware that much, much easier choices exist in the region - from which they can "visit Thailand" occasionally w/o problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, 65 is pretty much the normal retirement age for social security.

Not sure where you are getting 55....

Also, for many of us the Thai system remains simple and inexpensive. Minimal changes for those of us that have previously always qualified and followed the rules/law.

Could careless about the Cambodia Visa system the country is a low level third world mess.

SS starts at 62

But the agent-fee in Cambodia is $25 or so per year - not a scammy-thing where are paying them off to skip requirements.  You can even start off in Cambodia with an "ordinary" VOA on entry, paying $5 more for this (published price - not a bribe) vs the Tourist-class VOA, right from the VOA office.

If they didn't want to give the OP a retirement one, he could get a work-permit and that suffices (last I read) for a 1 year visa - no need for fake-company, etc - unless this changed recently.

The visas Cambodia and Vietnam supply for xpats is a scam.

BS

you can try going to immigration across form the airport in PP and ask for your extension, they will politely show you the door an tell you to use an agent ????

Cambodia u can get a retirement EXTENSION, (ER), if ur under 55 but need show you have an income, so far nobody seems to know exactly how much or how you prove it so you just use an agent,  apx 290/year

go to lucky luck motorcycles on monivong road

enter Cambodia on a Ordinary visa ( $35) valid for 30 days... all 100% legal

Getting a work extension ( EB)  you need be working AND have a work permit, its NOT 2017 anymore

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I see this all the time. Can you direct me to this visa. The visas Cambodia and Vietnam supply for xpats is a scam. By that I mean you pay an agent and obtain your ability to stay. Vietnam does not even have a retirement visa. However an agent will get a business visa, a requirement of which is letter from Vietnam company that your working for them. Not required (they provide that) and residence card. For fee. Having said all that it works fine.

does thailand have a retirement visa?  isn't it just a long-stay visa with one of the supporting grounds being "retirement?" 

it's not really retiring here, not if you have to apply for an annual extension and the fuzzy-logic rules can change at any time.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My neighbor lived in PP for a few years he just went back to visit friends. He says never go back Thailand much better

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

My neighbor lived in PP for a few years he just went back to visit friends. He says never go back Thailand much better

In any case, for ease of use, Cambodia's VISA system is much better than in Thailand. For those that are finding Thailand's system onerous and/or impossible in light of recent changes, Cambodia is an option in the region. 

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

does thailand have a retirement visa?  isn't it just a long-stay visa with one of the supporting grounds being "retirement?" 

it's not really retiring here, not if you have to apply for an annual extension and the fuzzy-logic rules can change at any time.

Geezus...true Thailand does not have retirement visa. They have annual extensions based on retirement. Vietnam does not. Stop being pedantic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

ED isn't difficult, but costs more now days - just need to pay for the schooling and the "no hassle" immigration fees for extensions (through the school) every 3 mo

There are reports of it being every 2 months for some, although I don't know the criteria for that. 

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If going the SETV route, could do that in perpetuity unless/until it the laws are changed to prohibit it - or until no law-abiding entry-points exist (all land-borders but one are still good now).  The catch, of course, is the need for travel every 3 mo.  The METV is even better, in that the trips every 3-mo can be out/in same day, rather than staying out 2-3 days to get a visa.

ED does not preclude going to classes - might as well learn Thai if living here anyway - but may still need to pay immigration the extra in many locales, since they don't care if you attend class or not - just want their payoffs.

Also could volunteer part-time - popular in Chiang Mai - though that also involves some "extra fees."

As to the Elite - no one in their right mind would buy that, unless they had money to burn, given the amount of enjoyment one could get from that amount of money in Vietnam, the PI, or even Thailand, using other stay-options.  Maybe he has money to burn, in which case it is a good option, but should still start with a METV and make darn sure he really wants to live here at least 5 years.

The point of mentioning the other options, is to make clear that Thailand is no longer a good long-stay choice for many expats - thanks to immigration's policy-shifts - and make sure they are aware that much, much easier choices exist in the region - from which they can "visit Thailand" occasionally w/o problems.

Hey Jack I am surprised I was not familiar with the volunteering thing you mention here....Do you have more info on how it works? Thanks 

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

I have been to Cambodia many times....Some guys may like Cambodia and great for them...But some thing about the place that I cant put my finger on has always rubbed me the wrong way and I was more than happy to return to Thailand....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Looking at health care and infrastructure and economy I'd have to say Thailand is that superior and certainly a lot less expensive than like alternatives like Penang in Malaysia. 

• Like 2