Motorcyclist crushed under turning truck

webfact

Motorcyclist crushed under turning truck

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1551958966_1-org.jpg

Ms Nanthiya Thongsen sits in shock at the entrance leading to Makro, Thalang. Photo Eakkapop Thongtub

Phuket: A man has died after his motorcycle hit a truck in Thalang as he was riding to work with his wife early this morning (Mar 7).

Police were notified of the accident at about 5:45am on Thepkrasattri Rd at the entrance to Makro.

Thalang Police coordinated with Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers and arrived at the scene to find a man unconscious and bleeding heavily while his wife was sitting on the ground injured.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/motorcyclist-crushed-under-turning-truck-70630.php#kyUoZXzxKgkhQCrq.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-03-08

23 minutes ago, connda said:

I drive a motorcycle myself, but I don't drive like Thais, ie, suicidal.

More times than I want to remember I've had motorcyclists push their way between me and the curb as I'm sitting at a side road with my attention looking for a break in traffic.  As I start to accelerate and turn left, some moron will always seem to attempt to shoot the space between the curb and my car instead of falling behind the car and following it out. The behavior is suicidal.  Do it with a large truck and it's lights out for good. 

indeed, they love to whizz past traffic on the inside regardless of whether they can see the road ahead or have any idea what the vehicle they are passing may be about to do e.g. passengers about to disembark a stopped bus... it is crazy behaviour but extremely common.

the only way to curb the death rate something like 24,000 killed each year, is for tough traffic enforcement, and to catch the riders at an early age, on their journeys to and from school, seize bikes and keep for a period of time.

i also see foreigners who have adapted to the Thai way of riding m/cycles, no helmet, more than 2 on a bike squeezing between 2 moving vehicle, becoming the meat in a sandwich, must of left their brain at the airport immigration counter.

• Like 2

Only yesterday i had 3 school students sat on the floor grazes on every limb, why, because they took no notice of my left indicator at a junction, when asked did they not se my  left indicator flashing i was met with a classic response, no, because the girl on the front obscurred my vision.

• Like 1

Some offensive posts and the replies have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Spidey posted: I have seen people riding a scooter, at night, with their helmet sat in the front basket, obscuring the headlight. Government's fault or rider's fault?

I had a child seat fitted to my wife's scooter, it disappeared. I bought my wife and son good helmets. Never wear them. "Only going to market, not need".

You can't teach stupid.

Have seen and experienced the same thing time and time again.

I have m/cs overtaking me when I'm in my car and indicating right or left (in plenty of time I may add) without them seeming to understand that I'm about to turn.........and as for their "road nous", forget it because they can't "read" the road, anticipate events or understand consequences.

Stupid and dangerous...........but not sure who was to blame in this case so reserve my judgement on this poor guy.

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

Thailand need only consult other ASEAN member states for examples.

CONSULT!!!!!............tantamount to admitting that they don't have the answer, so no chance here I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Just yesterday.... I pulled up alongside a Policeman at a red light and watched about 4 or 5 motorcyclists pull up, then continued to turn right on red... The Policeman did nothing not even a look. 

Quite simply: a large proportion of motorcyclists do not pay any attention to the traffic laws and regulations. Riding down pavements, riding down the wrong side, jumping red lights etc... why would these guys bother riding safely when they are taking so many risks whenever they are on the road and do so with impunity. 

It's tragic to hear of the loss of life and injury, however, many are self inflicted, I truly feel for those deaths and injuries of innocents.

On the roads motorcyclists are their own worst enemy... While I'm out riding my motorcycle I find other motorcyclists posing the greatest hazard along with Mini-vans and company pickups (especially those refrigerated ones)... 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, seahorse said:

Isn't death a downside? 

Depends if it leads to Heaven, Hell, Nirvana, or a better/worse reincarnation.

Observance of traffic laws, road skills and sense, play no part in their death or injury.

Every next breath they take is down to the good/bad will of spirits, luck, spells and destiny.

Edited by Enoon

on my way back from my fishing lake yesterday, thought i would count the * NO HELMET* brigade, in 3 miles a counted 118, then stopped as i had to pop into the market so you can say a good 160 in 6 miles. this is on one road in one area, wat yai,

I drive a motorcycle myself, but I don't drive like Thais, ie, suicidal.

More times than I want to remember I've had motorcyclists push their way between me and the curb as I'm sitting at a side road with my attention looking for a break in traffic.  As I start to accelerate and turn left, some moron will always seem to attempt to shoot the space between the curb and my car instead of falling behind the car and following it out. The behavior is suicidal.  Do it with a large truck and it's lights out for good. 
Good point, compared to most Thai drivers I drive defensive and considerate. But there's always someone faster or crazier.
It's amazing how slow and lazy most Thai are but on the road they always seem to be in a hurry.
BTW, even with my farang driving style, I would guess in my home country it wouldn't take less than a while until some police patrol is going to stop me.
Now imagine Thais driving car or motorcycle abroad...

Senseless.  It will NOT change!  Asking a leopard to change his spots.  So SAD!  It's a choice for them.  It's a choice for us to drink beer tonight...It's a choice to kill someone...choose wisely "grasshopper"

Nothing says that the truck driver signaled his turn, and motorcycles are by law supposed to stick to the left. When turning left or right you are required to check if a person is passing you from behind to make sure that you can safely do so. It is you changing lanes. Of course when someone signals it is both prudent and courteous to give them the room to do so. Not always easy if you are in the act of passing (on the right) and traveling at speed. Whenever you change lanes you are supposed to check your blind spot, "white lining" is legal in Thailand (as it is in California) and all drivers are well aware that motorcycle riders always do this, especially approaching traffic stopped at a light. Most Thai drivers (poor as they are) don't cut a corner but hold their line (like cyclists in the peloton) leaving room for the scooter rider on the inside of the left turn. RIP to the scooter driver and condolence to the wife, I wish her a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Almer said:

100% police fault, how many times do you see motorbikes turning before a police check, how many times do you see three on a motorbike at a police check and then allowed to ride off still 3 up still no helmets,

problem solved, more check points at random, no tax or insurance, the bike is put in a secure compound.and not released until the correct documents are produced plus 1000 bt, this will take 75% of these unlicenced uninsured untaxed death traps of the road, nice earner for gvnt, less pressure on hospitals and reduce the impact on families not that they seem to care, how can a parent watch there 12 year old son go of to school on his motorbike with no helmet and picking 2 of his mates up on the way, do a sting at a school one afternoon when they come out and bring a very large lorry and cash van you will need it, the next day another school,  same applies, soon the word will get round. 

These students are Thaikands future and they are being allowed to disrespect the laws,, 100% THE GVNT FAULT 

Fully agree with your comments but you forgot. How many times have you seen the police directing traffic outside a school and watching kids riding out of the school grounds with no helmet. 

I see 2 expats on motorbikes dropping and picking up their kids to the same international school my daughter attends. Both fathers one Canadian and the other English, no helmets on and neither did the kids. 

1 minute ago, Tongjaw said:

Fully agree with your comments but you forgot. How many times have you seen the police directing traffic outside a school and watching kids riding out of the school grounds with no helmet. 

I see 2 expats on motorbikes dropping and picking up their kids to the same international school my daughter attends. Both fathers one Canadian and the other English, no helmets on and neither did the kids. 

Yes, I see the same as well.

English (speaking) guy picks up his son from school. I've seen both of them wearing a helmet only once. Perhaps it was threatening to rain, can't remember. This is Udon too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Almer said:

Only yesterday i had 3 school students sat on the floor grazes on every limb, why, because they took no notice of my left indicator at a junction, when asked did they not se my  left indicator flashing i was met with a classic response, no, because the girl on the front obscurred my vision.

So you turned left while being overtaken there. If you use your mirrors and look back this will not happen. And yes, they are allowed to overtake you on the left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I see the same as well.

English (speaking) guy picks up his son from school. I've seen both of them wearing a helmet only once. Perhaps it was threatening to rain, can't remember. This is Udon too.

See the same, idiot parents picking up their kids from Kajongkiet in Kathu without helmets.