Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

13 hours ago, vogie said:

The way I read it, it would seem if an expat was genuinely returning to live in the UK he would be classed as an ordinarily resident, do you agree, or are you of the opinion that it is a grey area.

No, that's not what I read.  It basically says that an expat could be considered ordinarily resident but it would be up to someone to decide based on whether or not it can be shown that when they left they intended to return.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...sorry to hear...

..you are entitled to your opinion...but...

..the industry, including chemo offer no hope....

...but a mountain of bills...

...how about asking to join the CBD Trials in Thailand....???

...or elsewhere around the world...???

...do some research....then decide....

https://www.cureyourowncancer.org/how-cannabis-oil-works.html

... good luck....

Unbelievably insensitive comments.  You claim erroneously that chemo offers no hope and then use the fact that it is expensive in attempt to peddle a first phase trial of a drug that has so far only shown a little promise in fighting cancer cells in a test tube yet none at all in patients and is not even available yet for trial in Thailand, ridiculous stuff that is best kept within your head.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I am not as old as he is, but I have insurance. I would be ashamed to have to put my hand out on a go fund me, or other money raising effort. If you live here you absolutely need insurance. If you don't have it, you should be in a position to cover all of your bills. Relying on the generosity of strangers is just wrong. I do accept in this case, someone else started the funding.

I just renewed by medical insurance, knowing the clocking is ticking and one day good, the other not so much. I wish him luck and making it back to NHS.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Another beggar for go fund me.shameful site 

very nice private room in a private hospital. What's wrong with being on a ward in a Govt hospital it was fine by me. Do govt hospitals not have chemo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

very nice private room in a private hospital. What's wrong with being on a ward in a Govt hospital it was fine by me. Do govt hospitals not have chemo.

Ummm, because he is paying for it himself, so why not?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I've looked at and read some of the accounts of people who have a GoFundMe  request on file.    Some sound to me like they are legitimate.    While others may not be so.   The OP vlogger may  be an exception to the truly needy fund people, but if he does as he says and pays out of his pocket, maybe he'll refund the  donations.

Generally go fund me pleas in Thailand are linked to young idiot tourists falling off motorcycles or Chaing Mai vandals spraying ancient buildings.

Not seasoned expats offering advise through monetised YouTube channels and then doing the opposite. 

Id suggest to a few above that this is the reason many people find these schemes distasteful.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Depends whether the guy was granted asylum. If so they would probably get the same

treatment as a citizen.

They get it all.  as long as your not a British ex-pat.  ( get out you traitor )

please see below. :giggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41lQjWotgI     :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin

12 hours ago, jake47 said:

Cancer is awful, Kev hope you feel better after treatment and are  not in too much pain.

My advice would be ,if your ok to travel get back to the Uk asap and get treatment before you get too ill to travel.

Best wishes mate.

Yes, I have heard it said that dying of cholera is far better than dying of cancer and a heart attack is better than both.

10 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

Generally go fund me pleas in Thailand are linked to young idiot tourists falling off motorcycles or Chaing Mai vandals spraying ancient buildings.

Not seasoned expats offering advise through monetised YouTube channels and then doing the opposite. 

Id suggest to a few above that this is the reason many people find these schemes distasteful.

Well said

• Like 2

My father died of cancer of the oesophagus he told me 'You don't recover from this' . He was in England N.H.S. etc , he died Insurance was completey irrelevant he died.

Bangkok Hospital Rayong charges 34,000 thb for 1st shot in Rabies course of injections , I wonder how much they charge for Cancer of the throat ?

Wrap an insurance policy around that.

Forget writing about insurance all day.

Edited by fisherd3
Correct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

People who pay taxes here and social fund for Thai employees Like I do

Before you go blasting the thai social fund better find out what YOU are doing wrong.

I am on that fund and have have 4 serious surgeries paid for already and my only expense was the VIP room.

So before starting rumors about Thai social fund clean your house and do your homework.

14 hours ago, connda said:

You may have missed the point.  ..."with out it I could not afford to pay the cost of my Cancer treatment" - at Bumrungrad I believe you said - A high priced private hospital.  Now had you received treatment at a government hospital, I contend you could have afforded the treatments out of pocket.  That is the recourse of those without premium insurance coverage as you had.  But- for whatever reason - those who have the coverage seem to always laud the fact.  Why?  Often we criticizes Thais for 'one-upping' there fellow citizens in a "I'm better off than you, so I'm better than you' sort of way.  That's all.  Why compared yourself to those who don't have what you have.  Again, "There but for the grace of God go I."  That keeps me humble, personally.  I have insurance and enough money to cover my expenses.  But I also am very aware that the wind of fate are fickle - one day you have; the next day you don't.  Things happen.  The day the tides of fortune turn against you - then what?

at the time I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer I was in a other hospital  getting treated for a kidney problem when they found out I had Prostate Cancer 

I was recommended by the doctor there to go to Bumrungrad  who were the only hospital at the time doing HDR Brachytherapy in 2014

you seem to have a personal  problem with people having private insurance 

• Thanks 1

he has NOT started a gofundme..

True, his friend started the GFM.  But according to the video blog from his hospital bed, he said that he's quite happy for people to donate...  (as you would be when someone is giving you money for nothing).

Kev says that he has his own money to cover his treatment costs - Any chance of him publically donating all this GFM money to Father Ray's??

2 hours ago, fisherd3 said:

My father died of cancer of the oesophagus he told me 'You don't recover from this' . He was in England N.H.S. etc , he died Insurance was completey irrelevant he died.

Bangkok Hospital Rayong charges 34,000 thb for 1st shot in Rabies course of injections , I wonder how much they charge for Cancer of the throat ?

Wrap an insurance policy around that.

Forget writing about insurance all day.

Not sure what the cost of one of the most expensive hospitals going has to do with anything when you can also get a rabies shot for 350 baht.

• Like 2