Compulsory ?

20 minutes ago, LongTang said:

Its Not compulsory yet, But common sense and the experiences of others dictate that one should NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO ABROAD WITHOUT INSURANCE !

Yes very true..thanks for your reply...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

And just on that point, when you do get an insurance policy, make sure that you read the small print to ensure you are covered in whatever adventures you plan to undertake during your time abroad.

Good point ... your insurance company will do what it can to avoid paying out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LongTang said:

Its Not compulsory yet, But common sense and the experiences of others dictate that one should NEVER EVER EVER EVER GO ABROAD WITHOUT INSURANCE !

You make a very good point, and I agree with you.

Many tourists travel with travel insurance, but expats can't really reside abroad on travel insurance, unless a few loopholes are used, and those loophole could provide an insurance company with a legal reason to deny a claim.  In any case, many travel insurance companies do not cover people over 70 years of age.

That leaves the question, how many expats have private health insurance?  Global private health insurance is expensive.   

For the above reasons, I would say are quite a few expats here that are uninsured. 

If the Thai's were smart, they would start a Government scheme where foreigners pay into for their "soon to be compulsory insurance" so they could get a visa.  The scheme could potentially make billions of dollars, not baht.  To stop fraud, it could be restricted to 1 year visas and extensions, and also have a waiting period.  The scheme could apply an excess to a claim, to stop people claiming for minor health issues. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If the Thai's were smart, they would start a Government scheme where foreigners pay into for their "soon to be compulsory insurance" so they could get a visa. 

Why Government want to do that? They can push everybody to private insurance to enrich insurance company's coffers. They are smart and the talk in underway in various circles of Thai government.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Why Government want to do that? They can push everybody to private insurance to enrich insurance company's coffers. They are smart and the talk in underway in various circles of Thai government.

They are not smart, they are corrupt. It's all about the money here.

I have no doubt that just before announcing compulsory insurance, senior Government officials will go an buy a lot of shares in insurance companies.  Basically, inside trading.  

A Government run scheme would profit to benefit all Thai people, just just the wealthy Thai elite. 

Regardless, when they bring in compulsory insurance, it's going to be a huge ongoing windfall for companies, or Government. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

If the Thai's were smart, they would start a Government scheme where foreigners pay into for their "soon to be compulsory insurance" so they could get a visa.  The scheme could potentially make billions of dollars, not baht.  To stop fraud, it could be restricted to 1 year visas and extensions, and also have a waiting period.  The scheme could apply an excess to a claim, to stop people claiming for minor health issues. 

Such a scheme would only need to cover immediate emergency-care and repatriation of the foreigner.  More than this, and it is just ripping people off - many of whom would like to make their own independent choices as to what type of health-insurance they require (max-payout, deductibles, outpatient, etc).

And for this to make any sense, it would need to apply to everyone - including those coming for short-stays - many of whom will be taking greater risks than those here on longer extensions.  Those on longer-stays might have additional options, such as showing alternative coverage or providing a locked amount in a bank covering a higher deductible, to lower monthly-premium costs.

But, I expect the authorities will repeat the Non-O-X Visa system enforcing a rip-off scheme, rather than simply eliminating the possibility of a foreigner's health expenses being unpaid with the simplest, easiest, lowest-cost system.

57 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They are not smart, they are corrupt. It's all about the money here.

Unfortunately, those are not mutually exclusive.  They don't need to care about the well-being of the country - just their own "take what they can get" options, based on their position.

Edited by JackThompson

except for my preexisting conditions that isnt covered anyway,

an insurance would have been a huge net loss during my many years here,

roughly 1.6 million baht loss if i had taken insurance, not counting compounding interests.

i.e i would have been a gofundme fond myself,

funding insignificant others

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

In any case, many travel insurance companies do not cover people over 70 years of age.

That leaves the question, how many expats have private health insurance?  Global private health insurance is expensive.   

Yes to both that is the general consensus but.

Travel insurance.

1. Travel insurance policies often limit or restrict coverage when you reach a certain age. For credit cards that offer complimentary travel insurance, this age limit ranges from 50 to 90 but is usually somewhere around 70–80 years old.

Pre-conditions are what they are,

2. Platinum: Our premium travel insurance for travellers over 70. It provides the same level of Medical and Repatriation cover as our Silver and Gold policies, with increased cover for Cancellation and Baggage. Platinum travel insurance is also zero excess policy, so you would have nothing to pay in the event of a claim.

The above info is just a few from many travel insurers  

Health insurance

Expats can get health insurance, pre-existing conditions or not should still not stop anyone from health insuring themselves unless their able self-fund.

Getting Thai cover is possible for expats they don't need to have global cover. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes to both that is the general consensus but.

Travel insurance.

1. Travel insurance policies often limit or restrict coverage when you reach a certain age. For credit cards that offer complimentary travel insurance, this age limit ranges from 50 to 90 but is usually somewhere around 70–80 years old.

Pre-conditions are what they are,

2. Platinum: Our premium travel insurance for travellers over 70. It provides the same level of Medical and Repatriation cover as our Silver and Gold policies, with increased cover for Cancellation and Baggage. Platinum travel insurance is also zero excess policy, so you would have nothing to pay in the event of a claim.

The above info is just a few from many travel insurers  

Health insurance

Expats can get health insurance, pre-existing conditions or not should still not stop anyone from health insuring themselves unless their able self-fund.

Getting Thai cover is possible for expats they don't need to have global cover. 

Once over a certain age securing a new policy with adequate cover can be prohibitively expensive

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarlS said:

Once over a certain age securing a new policy with adequate cover can be prohibitively expensive

I agree but one should try their best with doing check ups when getting older so health doesn't become a sudden problem and pay for outpatient care at least.

Some illness or condition can strike at any time. 

My Thai health cover is reasonable at the moment and been treated twice in hospital for Asthma and can be again if need be because I pay myself for 2 month check ups as an outpatient which is little expense. 

I'm not covered for 2 precondition things fair enough.

Edited by Kwasaki

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I agree but one should try their best with doing check ups when getting older so health doesn't become a sudden problem and pay for outpatient care at least.

They stopped doing 'routine checkups' in the UK, apparently it was costing too much money in unnecessary operations.

Couldn't trust the doctors not to drum up a little extra work.

Don't trust them,

Will only go when I have a clearly identifiable condition where I can cross check with the internet.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Regardless, when they bring in compulsory insurance, it's going to be a huge ongoing windfall for companies, or Government. 

The obvious way to deal with pre-existing conditions, or those too old for insurance, is to not grant people with them VISAs or extensions.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The obvious way to deal with pre-existing conditions, or those too old for insurance, is to not grant people with them VISAs or extensions.

No - The obvious way is to introduce a reasonably priced government scheme which allows access to public hospitals. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They stopped doing 'routine checkups' in the UK, apparently it was costing too much money in unnecessary operations.

Couldn't trust the doctors not to drum up a little extra work.

Don't trust them,

Will only go when I have a clearly identifiable condition where I can cross check with the internet.

I'm talking expat in Thailand with blood checks for kidney and liver function and blood pressure checks, xray and ultrasound, heart ecg all inexpensive and although I hate routine keep some kind of exercise routine in place other than arm exercise in lifting a glass.

Ah that reminds me Friday is sheeters day a routine beer time. ????

16 minutes ago, KarlS said:

No - The obvious way is to introduce a reasonably priced government scheme which allows access to public hospitals. 

You can get access to Thai public hospitals at a reasonable price as an outpatient already already. ????

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

No, you do not need insurance. But best to be insured in Thailand, especially if you plan to hire scooters or do anything adventurous.

Advice does not apply to people with several million $ in the bank, they are probably fine to self insure.

But to state the obvious, if you do intend to rent a scooter or motorbike, in the event of an accident and injury,  travel insurance will not pay out unless you have a valid licence to ride that type of vehicle. 

Edited by Pilotman

Just now, Kwasaki said:

You can get access to Thai public hospitals at a reasonable price as an outpatient already already. ????

Sure but the costs rapidly accumulate if admission to hospital is required. A bill in excess of 1Million Baht+ would not be unusual 

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ouch !    sorry sir, you have been here thirty years but you have now reached the age where we must ask you to leave.   

1 hour ago, KarlS said:

The "reasonably priced" part could mean some sort of subsidy paid by someone.  This is why I proposed the limited system of limiting treatment to emergency-care and repatriation - vs anything more comprehensive.  That way, everyone young and old could pay into one "pot" - but with the coverage extremely-limited, so it could remain inexpensive.

Those wanting long-term care coverage would need to pay an amount that works from an actuarial-calculation, relative to their age (might not be "affordable").  But if that could be offered non-profit, and net-neutral - or even somewhat positive-gain, to help support public-hospitals - it's fine by me, provided it is 100% optional, and people who don't want/need it are not forced in to subsidize others.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, KarlS said:

Sure but the costs rapidly accumulate if admission to hospital is required. A bill in excess of 1Million Baht+ would not be unusual 

It would have to be pretty serious for those sort of costs I died and they brought me back at a gov hospital wasting time going to a private one nearly cost me my life the cost was 70,000 got health insured after that. ????