Feeling 'eyed' by Thailand and what I'm planning on doing about it

Gecko123

26 minutes ago, uhuh said:

Much more than 5 years in Thailand,  and 2 weeks ago my first bad experience with immigration.  No big deal,  but a whole day wasted at CW.

Oh, and last year my then girlfriend casually mentioned that "nobody likes farang". I had never heard it in this absoluteness. So a while ago i mentioned to my current gf that Thais don't like farang. She was a bit apologetic but agreed. 

Who cares. Im in a farang ghetto lower sukhimvit and have zero to do with thais unless Im ordering drinks, food or an hourly rental. Thais do not exist in my world and thats perfect as I live my life exactly as I did in the west but with better climate and cheaper women.

I have no sympathy for those that moved to a thai ghetto and are trying to fit in. Your an alien, what did you expect?

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You are reading Thai visa too much.  Really nothing much has changed except the attitude of some key posters on here. 

One of them is running 13 negative threads now.  He was always negative for the 10 years of so I've been reading here but now it's getting extreme. 

I am in my 70's and nothing has changed for me.  If anything the people are getting nicer because the backpackers and skint expats are leaving. 

Thai's are going more online and that means more action for the fellows who can read and write Thai. 

I'd take a break from Thai Visa and associate with some less OCD types. 

We have always had the dumped guys but now add to that the visa runners and the ex pat fakers and it seems like a Tsunami of negativity. 

They'll be gone in a few months as things shake out and normalcy will return. 

I visit two Thai social streaming forums daily and I've seen more people wanting to meet me rather than less recently and I'm an old guy. 

The eye thing reminds me of the guys smoking for the first time and getting paranoid. 

Great post and I hope I can have such a good mind set when I’m in my seventies. Everything you texted is true and I feel for those who somehow can’t take a break from forums. Just a new hobby or picking up an old one can do wonders. Why be in fear or worse post in fear and negativity ALL the time?  Some people just need to be key board warriors and the healthier ones can see right through their often misery. 

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

five years in Thailand and I have never had a bad experience with immigration. NOT ONE. Nothing has changed for me.

But reading TV now I am sure I am going to be deported the next time I do my 90 day reporting.

And I am running evacuation drills in the middle of the night. :clap2:

"WAKE UP! You got five minutes to load those bags into your pickup honey! Drive me to the border!"   :cheesy:

But NOT Poipet border lol!! ????

You will be doubled deported and hurt badly. And you will still have to pay a large fine for it. 

8 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

My Father-in-law told me we change about every five years in the 'state of persons' we really are. I think he is correct.

My wife and I go home to Australia after me living full time in Thailand for four years on Wednesday for a period of three months. I need to go home to mend a few fences with people and not neglect everyone as I have done for so long as in some ways. I feel some things in Thailand have changed and I need a 'time out' to look back at things to see how they are.

My biggest worry is to be in my 60's and 70's and be refused health coverage. If I start to prepare things now, it is something I can do over a few years as in move. There is no fear in this post as I have lived here in Thailand now for 10 years and do love the place. I have seen a winding down of many fellow farangs over the years and I think it is the fact of getting older and wondering about the 'what if's' are going to get you. What if this happens -- What if that happens.

I do have the money to stay here till I die but I am also looking at what will be best for me in my later years in life. My wife will look after me and for that, I am lucky but for all of us, we are so different in character that these issues will all affect us differently. I do not really want to go from Thailand but while I am young enough to have a look with my wife at something different for a few months, I will use this break to see how much Australia has changed. I may be running back here real quick after three months with my tail in between my legs saying, ''Lord what was I thinking'' as in reality, I do not know what I am returning too and that has me slightly stressed.

Good for you..I shall be interested to see what you make of Oz.

Don't forget to factor in the reverse culture shock.It is often talked about and was very real for me for about three months until things settled down.

On the other hand it was all a bit of a whirl of doctors,hospitals and medical interventions I suppose-and it took me a while to get my bearings.

Yes, great and honest post. 

The feeling of change in attitude is real I beiieve. I have found that jealousy runs very deep in Thai society and that Thais are often motivated by schadenfreude, that is a joy obtained from seeing others, in this case farangs, suffer a fall. There is a lot of lying on social media to make others jealous and show a fine face sometimes as a payback or out of ignorance of the negative affect.  With many Thais, behind the smile is a deep shaft of jealousy. Of course, Westerners have the same problems but I expected more from such a strongly Buddhist country.

My quals for saying this: 3 years in Thailand and and being married to a Thai. 

12 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

But the TM-30 housemaster reporting requirement was probably the straw which broke the camel's back.

You know this one thing is pretty dang bad.

I mean ok they require you to get a one year extension with all that entails..Fair enough

You jump thru the hoops & are granted a 1 year stay

BUT...not really because every 90 days they want to know again are you here?

Now say you want to travel out of country

One year visa extension still ok? Well yes IF you pay another 1900baht & get a permission to return/re-enter

Why? Did we not have a 1 year extension with all the T's crossed & i's dotted?

Now say you want to just travel within the country?

That TM-30 you speak of is the worse.

Because after all again do we or do we not already have permission to be here?

PS: on out of country trips don't forget even WITH the paid for re-entry permit you still will need to comply with this TM-30 quickly

after your return

It once was that many folks moved to Thailand & felt great freedom. I did

But to be honest since moving back to the US I feel greater freedom

In the years I have been back I have never been stopped by a cop...because I guess here you actually need to

commit an offense to get stopped. Many other things but I think most know

Good Luck to you what ever you decide

On the SS I would maybe do a proforma type of sheet

I did & when I saw the results I went for early SS @ 62

Just make a list of what if's

Use a standard exit age of say 83

Then look at the amounts you would collect total & see if it is worth waiting...you may be surprised ????

I left 3 years ago.  Back to Canada.  Tried 2 communities and was not comfortable, so pack up and move.  This time I went to live in my Sister's basement until I was sure I liked the city enough to move into my own place. 

If you wish to travel, why get an expensive apartment just to leave it empty?  Find somewhere yo can crash in between trips.  Enjoy the freedom of not being tied down.  Use the rent money to pay your travel expenses.

Take your SS as soon as you can.  Those few percentage points are meaningless, as in do the math.  If you do not need the money, simply pop the funds into a bank account.  You'll be amazed at how much you'll have in 5 years and at that time you begin to draw it out to top up your income to what it would have been had you waited.  You don't want ANY Government having money you are entitled to.  In your own bank account you decide.

My thoughts exactly. I'm two years younger than you, been here retired for eight years. I first came to Thailand in 1977 in the Peace Corps, during which time I learned to speak, read and write Thai. I have often thought that the people who say Thais hate us think so due to the frustration of being unable to communicate. (Hint, tones matter.) But, like you, I'm evolving. I often have friendly conversations and come away thinking Thai people are wonderful, but the feeling of not being fully accepted is definitely there.

A few years ago, a woman was the Minister of Tourism and Sports. I forget her name. She came to Chiang Mai to hold listening sessions. I attended and reported here in TV. She was a little tone-deaf in that she couldn't stop referring to us long-term residents as "tourists," as if there's no difference. Anyway, her reward for reaching out to understand was that she was replaced within a very short time. No good deed . . .

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

After having lived in Thailand for 16 years, I don't think I could transistion to another country without recharging my batteries back in the States for a while. After being gone so long, the US will probably feel like a foreign country in and of itself. I'm thinking get myself a $1500/mo to $2000/mo apartment or condo, and travel a bit in Europe, Mexico, while rebuilding relationships with family and friends which admittedly, I've badly neglected.

Try Cambodia, same as living in Issan, if you lived in Sisaket they even speak the same language (Khmer)

1 hour ago, mania said:

Now say you want to travel out of country

One year visa extension still ok? Well yes IF you pay another 1900baht & get a permission to return/re-enter

Why? Did we not have a 1 year extension with all the T's crossed & i's dotted?

Now say you want to just travel within the country?

That TM-30 you speak of is the worse.

Because after all again do we or do we not already have permission to be here?

PS: on out of country trips don't forget even WITH the paid for re-entry permit you still will need to comply with this TM-30 quickly

after your return.

And you write your address in Thailand on the Entry Card. But you still need to run over to Imm the next day to tell them the same d*mn thing.

14 hours ago, j8k said:

Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will. I am getting out before its too late.

"Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will."  Maybe your attitude has something to do with your feelings ?

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

So, unless there's a collapse in the housing market bubble (which I'm kind of praying for), I've kind of resigned myself to renting, at least initially.

So you are praying for a bubble to burst which will have millions people affected with many of them, no doubt losing their homes just because you decided to live your life in Thailand while others have actually stayed and contributed?

Yea, that's really nice of you. It makes you look like a really nice guy.

I would tend to agree. Their is a certain amount of distaste now for any and all foreigners trying to live here on extended visas. I have a retirement visa and am married with kids.. when i came last time for a weekend only to visit my family. I was given multiple questions and hostile glares by immigration as to why i did not plan to go to chonburi. Simply because the hotel listed i would stay at was in bangkok. After explaining many times i was only there for 2 days and family would come to bangkok. They finally stamped me into the country. All in all i was left feeling unwanted and as if i was doing something against thailand. 

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

You have evolved.

It is as much about you as it is about Thailand.

When I was a teenager I declared that I was always going to be the person I was then.

I never imagined that life could be about looking back at a series of different "persons".

Good luck (although I doubt that you need it).

I am wonderingabout this evolved stuff...........I seem to be evolving or getting too involved or trying to not get involved, but wondering if we should just stick our heads in the sand or if we can or cannot do anything or.........I enjoyed the post and writing and hope to take on some more discussions as my expereinces are much shorter though almost go back that far.........never would have imagined moving or living here but now that looks more possible or not daily but then CHOICES and the immigration issues around the world as well as politics - used to work and not spend as much time and still not enough........well getting some issues arising back home and trying to salvage a bad situation in Argentina -- open to help and conversations as time allows..........  and luck is part of life I am sure or at least thinking.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Who cares. Im in a farang ghetto lower sukhimvit and have zero to do with thais unless Im ordering drinks, food or an hourly rental. Thais do not exist in my world and thats perfect as I live my life exactly as I did in the west but with better climate and cheaper women.

I have no sympathy for those that moved to a thai ghetto and are trying to fit in. Your an alien, what did you expect?

I'm with you on this, I don't require my servants to love me, they just need to serve.

Although I live in a Thai area, I don't speak to them, same as I didn't speak to my English neighbours in the UK.

Hello, as I pass by, is about as close as I ever get.

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You are reading Thai visa too much.  Really nothing much has changed except the attitude of some key posters on here. 

One of them is running 13 negative threads now.  He was always negative for the 10 years of so I've been reading here but now it's getting extreme. 

I am in my 70's and nothing has changed for me.  If anything the people are getting nicer because the backpackers and skint expats are leaving. 

Thai's are going more online and that means more action for the fellows who can read and write Thai. 

We have always had the dumped guys but now add to that the visa runners and the ex pat fakers and it seems like a Tsunami of negativity. 

I visit two Thai social streaming forums daily and I've seen more people wanting to meet me rather than less recently and I'm an old guy. 

The eye thing reminds me of the guys smoking for the first time and getting paranoid. 

Excellent post.

I would agree, I dont see or experience any major difference. Sometimes I think I must live in an alternate thailand to the one discussed in Thaivisa.

I think its something the owners of Thaivisa need to consider, its becoming a glass half empty forum.

I have been living here 19 yes. Now at the age of 69 I am feeling some insecurities too. ..But, unlike the OP, I reckon this is a natural feeling that comes from getting older, it is within me...not caused by outside circumstances.

One of the wisest sayings I have ever been told is the following..."We see things the way We are ..not the way They are".

PS ...because of circumstances, I have nobody to turn to back home if I did decide to move on...but am aware even if I had ..I would still be "me"...(with any insecurities). Wherever I go, my head comes with me.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you just referring to online prostitutes?

Are they now more friendly because theres not so many customers ?

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I never bother, entry card is all they get.

And how does that work for you when you need an extension, resident certificate etc. Or one day when they shut you down for doing to many tourist visa's.

13 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So true - move to a place with a good level of Farang you won't feel so out of place. I overwinter in Jomtiem now with my missus in a second-hand condo on the 15th floor with sea-views for 1.3m. Baht buses take you everywhere you need to go and you will be welcome or at least ignored. You can rent a reasonable place for 10k a month. Don't chuck in the towel before you've given a 'half-way' house a go. Plus clean air and sea-breezes........

As for ordinary Thais I have some sympathy for their plight, deprived of their beloved King and a democratic vote and hope things are pretty tough right now. In Jomtien they see crowds of rude Russians and hordes of noisy Chinese making merry why they are consigned to seemingly being second class citizens in their own country. Some local resentment is to be expected. The whole world seems to be getting angry. We met an almost toothless elderly coconut salesman at the market with his friend selling them at 20 baht a pop with a smile and we got chatting and he remarked he didn't know why Thai people robbed the farang so much around here and got a bad name for his country. We left with laughter and smiles all round - there are still plenty of good guys left and you seem like one of them.  A change is as good as a rest. 

Well said. A change can do you a world of good. 

For West Coast Americans, retirement in Mexico is a great option. Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Cancun, Veracruz, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and similar beautiful areas are just a few hours fly to USA destinations, the living costs now similar to Thailand, with easy immigration rules and services, and affordable health insurance for foreigners. If my Thai wife was willing to move there, no doubts I will move now with 10 pesos for a dollar and real estate in its lower value ever.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

have you been to Hua Hin? you should come to visit for a solid month. A bit more like California or Florida as far as hospitals, malls, shops. The Thais are used to Farangs here. They call it "White Town". No cop would stop and ask you where are you from. No drug tests and anything like that.

I live like a king on just my SS alone. Sometimes when I travel I add in a few extra hundred dollars for a big party. ???? 

I watched my mom and dad age in the USA. They lived to be 89 and 92. I am in 63 and have zero health issues except for some IBS. 

People live a long time in my family. So I expect to live until at least 80.

It was expensive as hell to get my parents home care.  Like $30 A HOUR! and they had it running around the clock and then assisted living.

That is why I came to Thailand. All you have to do is give a Thai the incentive to keep you alive and they will.

But you have to be start about it.

also the USA you know was destroyed about 20 years ago. you will not be able to speak your mind about anything. 

I saw the brainstorming and the wife has an idea and I want or will support it. If you are interested there is a way.......and that is the short version from a guy who can or is long winded and old at times too.......66 and......Mom went fairly young and Dad at 89..........it is definetly a slippery slope. 

25 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

And how does that work for you when you need an extension, resident certificate etc. Or one day when they shut you down for doing to many tourist visa's.

I never visit immigration, had enough of them, their corruption and their insulting ways a few years back.

They have computers, any need to show, divorce certificate, custody order, birth certificates, house papers more than once (ever) is nothing more than pure harassment.

I have 90 day non-os to look after my Thai children, I'm not a tourist, I've never had a tourist VISA.

I don't think the current changes are really aimed at making it harder for foreigners, even if they do.  I think it is more aimed at foreigners actually complying with the law and to reduce corruption in immigration.  What I think they don't realize is that this will create an even higher level of corruption.

I also think that in general Thai's don't hate foreigners.  Sure some may.  I have lots of genuine Thai friends that give me gifts and want to pay when we go out.  I also have Thai friends that can't afford to go out to nice places and are pretty much friends as long as you are paying for them.  I don't really mind inviting them out and letting them have some joy.  As long as I am the one doing the inviting and not them.

11 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

My Father-in-law told me we change about every five years in the 'state of persons' we really are. I think he is correct.

My wife and I go home to Australia after me living full time in Thailand for four years on Wednesday for a period of three months. I need to go home to mend a few fences with people and not neglect everyone as I have done for so long as in some ways. I feel some things in Thailand have changed and I need a 'time out' to look back at things to see how they are.

My biggest worry is to be in my 60's and 70's and be refused health coverage. If I start to prepare things now, it is something I can do over a few years as in move. There is no fear in this post as I have lived here in Thailand now for 10 years and do love the place. I have seen a winding down of many fellow farangs over the years and I think it is the fact of getting older and wondering about the 'what if's' are going to get you. What if this happens -- What if that happens.

I do have the money to stay here till I die but I am also looking at what will be best for me in my later years in life. My wife will look after me and for that, I am lucky but for all of us, we are so different in character that these issues will all affect us differently. I do not really want to go from Thailand but while I am young enough to have a look with my wife at something different for a few months, I will use this break to see how much Australia has changed. I may be running back here real quick after three months with my tail in between my legs saying, ''Lord what was I thinking'' as in reality, I do not know what I am returning too and that has me slightly stressed.

Good to see a topic with well meaning, if slightly pessimistic responses.

Every place changes and in Australia the "newer" crew have gone in for virtue signalling with a tendency to avoid/shout down other or independent viewpoints.

That is reality elsewhere as well, but it is still a great country and lifestyle. One hopes it does not get given away/surrendered by folk who think other folk from a completely different outlook will appreciate the opportunity to integrate.

Hi..I live in a small friendly town called Naklua, an offset to Pattaya.

I have lived here over 20 years, single and retired from San Francisco. I speak little Thai but am welcomed by everyone; lots of smiles.

Being close to Pattaya, I share good medical care, hospitals and excellent food outlets. My condo, which I bought 12 years ago, is on the beachfront with a fabulous view, 10 floors, 2 to a floor. 

Most of my neighbors live in Bangkok and only come once or twice a year. I have kept my SF residence but rarely ever go back. 

Weather here is perfect for an older person, food is light and healthy, and the cost of living is about half of San Francisco. 

Why, aside from family, would I ever want to go back? 

Sure, you need some cash to live here. The Kingdom does not want to pay your medical bills. Keeping 800K in a Thai Bank insures a trouble free immigration. 

Overall, the freedom you enjoy here with little traffic enforcement allows a carefree existance. I drive slowly and carefully and have never had a motoring incident. And I am 83. 

For those seeking to retire and live a happy, low expense existance, I could not be happier living in LOS.

Gary H

@Gecko123 - You mentioned: " Another thing that I realized when pondering purchasing a home, is that after 16 years in Thailand, getting a mortgage might be a little tricky, even though on paper, I probably could qualify." - For what it is worth, I think the biggest issue in being able to qualify for a mortgage will be your age. I think after a certain age banks no longer offer mortgages because of life expectancy. The cut off might be somewhere around the age of 65. Or they may only grant a mortgage if a very large down payment is made of well over 50%. I am no expert on this, but you may want to look into further if you are intent on ever buying a property in the US on credit. Best wishes.

Archived