Expelled at BKK today

On 3/19/2019 at 7:41 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Millions of tourists still visit Thailand without any problems.

I don't believe it when people claim there was no reason at all.

he was probably too tanned...

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong. There is no written rule or regulation that states that.

Guess so. Stand corrected. 

Must have been the 90 days in on 180 period from eons before which would be 180 days total in 1 year. But I guess that was rescinded in 2008 as just looked up. Boy how the time flies..

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

It sucks somewhat that rules seem to change daily.

The problem is there are "the rules" - and then there is something completely different -  what IOs at bad entry-points make up, deceitfully say are actual rules.

2 hours ago, cerox said:

one of the reasons not to organize the new ED visa now, because I do not want to deposit money if I do not even know if I can come back.

If you came back with a valid, fresh ED Visa in your passport, you would be very unlikely to be denied-entry.  A letter from the school plus contact info for immigration to verify things with them would close that possibility.  Of course, you would need to have the 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks, so as not to give them that (sorry) excuse to deny-entry.

49 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I also thought it was still current as I saw immigration counting off 180 days a couple years back on a foreigner they were harrasing. 

That has been reported as happening.  In some cases, they are reported to keep counting back in time, well over a year, until they can say, "See 180 days."  If such a limit existed, surely they would announce it, so all could know and comply.  But then, they might have to "let people in" who haven't crossed it yet - as was the case in those reports.

39 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The problem is there are "the rules" - and then there is something completely different -  what IOs at bad entry-points make up, deceitfully say are actual rules.

If you came back with a valid, fresh ED Visa in your passport, you would be very unlikely to be denied-entry.  A letter from the school plus contact info for immigration to verify things with them would close that possibility.  Of course, you would need to have the 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks, so as not to give them that (sorry) excuse to deny-entry.

That has been reported as happening.  In some cases, they are reported to keep counting back in time, well over a year, until they can say, "See 180 days."  If such a limit existed, surely they would announce it, so all could know and comply.  But then, they might have to "let people in" who haven't crossed it yet - as was the case in those reports.

This must all come from 90 day in 180 days out back in 2006 - 2008 and the immigration still falsely use it at their desire. I can remember back then as that was when I decided to do proper a visa.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Old rule from long time ago that no longer exists. But you would have had to be around in 2006 - 2008 to know it.

Also worth noting that this old rule (in force for a pretty limited period) only applied to visa exempt entries. There has never been a similar rule for entries using tourist visas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

It is a term originally used to describe the French people in Thailand say 100 years ago or even futher back. Now it is used as a word for western people in general. People who half Thai half western are called Luctung, spelling may be off

Its Luk khrueng - Half Child.. (Haif-khrueng  Child-Luk)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_khrueng

The Term Luk thung you used actually refers to Thai country music ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_thung

Edited by LongTang
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Also worth noting that this old rule (in force for a pretty limited period) only applied to visa exempt entries. There has never been a similar rule for entries using tourist visas.

Maybe so, but on reported incidents they went an took it the extra foot and a half and started counting tourist visas on some people. I too had an experience. I was running on 90 in and hit the border back then to Mae Sai and had my days counted at Mae Sai. They were counting 20k back then as well. That is exactly when I decided to go for the extension of 1 yr at end of 2006 after my new Non O single entry in Sept from Penang. Just too risky up to their judgement.

23 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Visitors numbers are steady from the West in 2018 compared to 2017, the rise is due to Chinese and Indian tourists.

you might want to re-check you facts, I'm sure visitors from the North America went up. but even if that is only 1 year, check the last 20 years!  When I first came to Thailand about 3-4 million people were coming back then, now it's what 37-38 million?

30 minutes ago, ericthai said:

you might want to re-check you facts, I'm sure visitors from the North America went up. but even if that is only 1 year, check the last 20 years!  When I first came to Thailand about 3-4 million people were coming back then, now it's what 37-38 million?

Sure, in last twenty years the number went up. In the last twenty years China's GDP surpassed all Western countries (except the USA) and Japan, coming from the very bottom. But they take statistics year over year to see the effects. Or comparing this quarter to the last year's same quarter to account for seasonal effects. 

Edited by onera1961

There have been no crimes committed.

Work is not in Thailand.

Only so many entries and exits per year for 2 years. 

I talked to Siam Legal. They confirmed the unlimited entries by air. They say however, you build a profile, thats what they look for. They recommend not going to another nearby country to gain entry, more bad profile. 

Siam Legal recommendations getting a Thai visa in the home country first.

I think I fall in this group.

Can you elaborate on a profile?

I think this is what the IO was searching out with my last BKK entry.

Plus I have long hair and beard. Is this a problem and contributor to negative profile? I had bad acne as a teen and the beard hides it but I could get a haircut. I do always dress very sharp though with no shorts or t-shirts or slop.

I will get a METV my next visit.

Given that the earlier issue was that they had suspicion you'd been working, this isn't a bad outcome. The fact that they did let you in means they've got no hard proof you did anything wrong. If flying in from the US, it'd be wise to go via KL, that way you're only looking at a cheap additional connecting flight and a worst-case scenario of being bounced back to KL where you'd definitely be allowed in and could enter Thailand again.

Yes but the extra cost of airfare is high. Its not just the local hop from KL but also the original ticket to KL is more expensive than the same airfare to BKK.

And then baggage fees.

And then the risk that if you have to return to the US for family emergency, you have this extra leg of travel necessary.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ShortTimed said:

And then the risk that if you have to return to the US for family emergency, you have this extra leg of travel necessary. 

There is no reason one would need to go through KL on the way to the US for a family emergency.  It's only entering Thailand which is a problem - and only at entry-points that don't follow the law. 

They might harangue you on the way out - angry you used a law-abiding entry point to avoid their legally-unsanctioned agenda - but I haven't read about cases of "denial of exit."

• Like 2

There is no reason one would need to go through KL on the way to the US for a family emergency.  It's only entering Thailand which is a problem - and only at entry-points that don't follow the law.    They might harangue you on the way out - angry you used a law-abiding entry point to avoid their legally-unsanctioned agenda - but I haven't read about cases of "denial of exit."

Yes I now understand what you are saying and it is very knowledgable and excellent advice but if a traveller has a R/T LAX-BKK then he can change the return date easily and may even get the change fee waived.

On the other hand, if he has a ticket R/T LAX-KUL and receives the news of family emergency while in Thailand then he basically gives up the return leg of this ticket and is forced to buy a last minute ticket BKK-LAX which are often higher priced last minute fares.

Many US carriers no longer offer bereavement fares and no discount for other related emergencies.

This is what I see when I apply your suggestion to my own circumstances. Yes, it is a workaround and possibly the only one available but it does have shortcomings to consider.

I am in the OPs shoes and really thinking the old Thailand that was a great budget travel destination friendly to expats is a thing of the past. For me looking at this place with fresh eyes, I see greater opportunity for the years ahead is nearby countries.

I would take the experience of the OP and use it as a motivator to visit other countries as a Plan B.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1RDN said:

Got the new passport. 

Went to the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. 

Submitted all the paperwork. 

Have a 6 month ME visa. 

Caught the flight to Bangkok. 

Immigration scanned the passport, did quite a bit of reading, stalling, I knew there was a problem. Then, stamp, stamp and I'm in. 

What I know now, this will always be an issue now. 

There will always be a high probability that I will be sent back, because no matter what, this past incident will always show up. This past incident where someone only thought that I had too many entries. 

I will think about Cambodia in the future. 

i might have missed it there are alot of pages in this thread.  but i believe you mentioned you are over 50 yrs old.  has there been any discussion of getting an O-A mutiple entry/long stay visa from the consulate in los angeles ?

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

an entry on that type of visa gets much less, if any, scrutiny from immigration in thailand.  it does require a police check, medical check, and proof of adequate finances (in your usa bank account).  if you spend time in the USA, you likely have a doctor that can cover you on the medical check.  the police check requirement seems to vary by consulate, i'm not sure what the LA consulate requires. 

edit:  if used properly, you can get two years out of this type of visa.  then apply for another one in LA.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Given that the earlier issue was that they had suspicion you'd been working, this isn't a bad outcome. The fact that they did let you in means they've got no hard proof you did anything wrong. If flying in from the US, it'd be wise to go via KL, that way you're only looking at a cheap additional connecting flight and a worst-case scenario of being bounced back to KL where you'd definitely be allowed in and could enter Thailand again.

From the states u can also get cheap flights sfo/lax into Phnom Penh on a few airlines via China, HK, Korea

On 3/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, worgeordie said:

Seems they don't need Farangs any more,especially as they

have plenty Russians,Chinese and coming soon plenty of

folks from the Sub Continent.

regards worgeordie 

Yet all these visitors also get screamed at and denied, I would argue in much greater numbers than farang. I have seen evidence of this with my own eyes - Indian traders flying in and out every 4 days (one Indian trader was on all 4 flights I took to Kolkata, India back in 2013) who have their passports taken from them and a female IO shouting (in Thai): "why are you here again?" "we don't want you here" etc.

• Like 1