Grandmother savaged to death by family's own pit bulls

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police said it looked like the dogs were stressed out in the heat or were affected by some scent or other. 

"or other", that about sums it up...

The police speaking words of wisdom, distilled from generations of skilled detecting.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I have an American Pitbull Terrier. The only time it's hurt anyone is when the wagging tail hits a shin. 

I don't know the details of this story but I do know that many Thais have no idea how to handle dogs. We had a farming family living in a shack on our land for around 6 months (long story). The granny used to routinely come over to our house with a bamboo stick and hit the dogs for no reason, often in the heat of the day when they were sleeping. A couple of our dogs are quite aggressive with strangers (we inherited them as adult dogs with the purchase of the land and therefore did not raise them - we raised the Pitbull which has no human aggression whatsoever) and I often worried what would happen if the dogs finally got tired of this behaviour when we weren't around.

I'm not blaming the victim here as I don't know the background of what happened, just pointing out that you need all the facts before hysterically crying for all Pitbulls to be immediately killed. Blaming the breed is ridiculous. It's how they are raised.

and they are usually raised by morons who think that it is cool to be like Stephan Segal.

Just now, Krataiboy said:

Dogs (of any breed) and guns have a lot in common. In the wrong hands they can be lethal.

It's not the dog or gun that is the problem. It's usually the owner. How many in Thailand have seen dog owners training their dogs or taking them a walk?  Me, I've never. Almost all dogs are in Thailand are guard dogs to protect the owners property or to keep ghost at bay. Other than that Thais couldn't give a toss as to their well being or needs.

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I think the old lady wouldn't care if her killers were pitbulls or another breed

American pitbull the real one is skinny and athletic. They not aggressive toward ppl, but can put on a fight with other dogs. The massive one that's mix bullies offten aggressive with humans. Got American pit here and old grandma my gf and. 3.years old no prob. Got it from puppie. I don't let strangers come near him at house for safety tho. 

Pitbull owners tend to be somewhat biased, first they always question if it was really a pitbull that did the killing, then they point out the low risk of being killed by a pitbull, as opposed to almost ripped to pieces. Several hundred thousand are bitten by dogs every year in the USA alone. Blaming the owners is just a cop out, it really is the dogs.

4 hours ago, moontang said:

RIP, Grandma.  6 pitbulls on what looks like 60 wah of land.....there are white people that stupid, too.

Is there anything tragic enough to just drop the snipeing for one particular occasion? 

not sure if the breed should be banned - but keeping 6 of them together is utterly irresponsible.

It should be made sure that the owner is qualified (I mean really qualified, not the Thai way qualificatioin). And not more than one dog. 

Make sure there is enough place for the dogs otherwise the get stressed

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I have an American Pitbull Terrier. The only time it's hurt anyone is when the wagging tail hits a shin. 

I don't know the details of this story but I do know that many Thais have no idea how to handle dogs. We had a farming family living in a shack on our land for around 6 months (long story). The granny used to routinely come over to our house with a bamboo stick and hit the dogs for no reason, often in the heat of the day when they were sleeping. A couple of our dogs are quite aggressive with strangers (we inherited them as adult dogs with the purchase of the land and therefore did not raise them - we raised the Pitbull which has no human aggression whatsoever) and I often worried what would happen if the dogs finally got tired of this behaviour when we weren't around.

I'm not blaming the victim here as I don't know the background of what happened, just pointing out that you need all the facts before hysterically crying for all Pitbulls to be immediately killed. Blaming the breed is ridiculous. It's how they are raised.

Most dangerous dog breeds

not sure if the breed should be banned - but keeping 6 of them together is utterly irresponsible.

It should be made sure that the owner is qualified (I mean really qualified, not the Thai way qualificatioin). And not more than one dog. 

I totally agree on that one I had one pitbull in the past and you would have been safer with the crocodile lol

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Cue the doggy lover with my pitties would not hurt a fly BS, these dogs are all killers when in the mood and they get a chance

Every time I see a You Tube news video on pitbull attacks you get the stream of apologist comments ... "it's not the dog it's the owners" ... no, some dogs bred for fighting will do what comes naturally.

33 minutes ago, wvavin said:

It is not the dogs that killed, it is the owner. 

What, you mean it was a set-up, for the inheritance? So the daughter bit her mother to death, smeared some blood over the poor innocent dogs, and then called the police?

Well ... you might be right?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

No mention was made of what happened to the dogs - if anything

kill them because now they have taste for humans and will do it again 

but why on earth do this family need to have 6 bittbull when you know how Thai people treat their dogs 

RIP 

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Cue the doggy lover with my pitties would not hurt a fly BS, these dogs are all killers when in the mood and they get a chance

Science would say that you are completely wrong. While Pit Bulls are responsible for the majority of human deaths from dog attacks in the USA for example, much of these can be explained away by breeding and training for fighting which creates killers. In England in the 19th century, pit bulls were called something like "babysitters" as they were so good with children and also protective of the kids in their care. I know several people who own pit bulls which are completely docile.

I believe some breeds are naturally more vicious than others. Some of you may be surprised that there are naturally vicious dogs that appear harmless because they're small. Papillon's and Lhassa Apso's for example.

Nonetheless, when a bigger and much stronger breed such as Pit Bulls get nasty they can kill. As is the case here.

A bigger question is why anyone would need or want 6? Of any dog? Unless, of course, you are a professional breeder. 

Of course Pit Bulls can be gentle, however, I think their potential for viciousness makes them undesirable. For now at least.

I have a 10 year old pure breed Doberman that is a pussy-cat. I do remember though, back in the 70's when the Doberman had the same reputation as Pit Bulls now. They made movies: Those Daring Dobermans and The Doberman Gang.

There was talk of banning the breed just like now regarding PB's. However, responsible breeders got together and bred a truly kinder more gentle breed of Doberman through a careful selective process.

The same could be done with PB's.

3 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I believe some breeds are naturally more vicious than others. Some of you may be surprised that there are naturally vicious dogs that appear harmless because they're small. Papillon's and Lhassa Apso's for example.

Nonetheless, when a bigger and much stronger breed such as Pit Bulls get nasty they can kill. As is the case here.

A bigger question is why anyone would need or want 6? Of any dog? Unless, of course, you are a professional breeder. 

Of course Pit Bulls can be gentle, however, I think their potential for viciousness makes them undesirable. For now at least.

I have a 10 year old pure breed Doberman that is a pussy-cat. I do remember though, back in the 70's when the Doberman had the same reputation as Pit Bulls now. They made movies: Those Daring Dobermans and The Doberman Gang.

There was talk of banning the breed just like now regarding PB's. However, responsible breeders got together and bred a truly kinder more gentle breed of Doberman through a careful selective process.

The same could be done with PB's.

You get the award for the best most well balanced post on here.... I agree with all you have said.

To the pit bull fans.... of course not all your dogs are aggressive or dangerous, but such a large, powerful breed always has the potential to cause horrific injuries and death to people and other dogs.  And, if they get worked up enough, and into the 'red zone' they are virtually impossible to hold back for the average person.  

You can not deny that.  Yes, other dogs bite people, but due to the smaller size, weaker jaws, and no breed behaviour to get into an attack frenzy, etc, they are not able to inflict such damage when attacking.  If you can't see a vicious chihuahua is less dangerous than a vicious Pitt Bull then you are seriously not right in the head.

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

They not aggressive toward ppl,

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

I don't let strangers come near him at house for safety tho

Are these statements not contradictory? I don't know. You seem like a responsible owner.

I have seen some great videos about working breeds working flocks of sheep in Great Britain.

I have seen videos of hunting dogs tracking, pointing, flushing & retrieving wild fowl.

These various breeds have been purposely bred to encourage the characteristics most desired for their intended purpose.

And selective breeding is a well established method of encouraging a specific genetic makeup of specific traits.

What were pitbulls and these other breeds bred for over 100’s of years? Was the class of dog described as the “fighting breeds”? What was the intended purpose? Dog fighting according to Wikipedia.

They were bred for their aggressive traits.

Why do some folks have such a difficult time comprehending that fact?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

American pitbull the real one is skinny and athletic. They not aggressive toward ppl, but can put on a fight with other dogs. The massive one that's mix bullies offten aggressive with humans. Got American pit here and old grandma my gf and. 3.years old no prob. Got it from puppie. I don't let strangers come near him at house for safety tho. 

Yes everyone’s thinks their dog is safe until it turns. Just read the stats.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

3 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Well if they were later bred for fighting they were not the same breed as in victorian times?  Dogs come from wolves but to say the nature of your dog is the same temperament as a wolf would be silly.

No they didn't tho' obviously,their paths were linked in ancient times (before McDonald's)

This is Canus Aureaus not Canus Lupus.

Very few of Canus Lupus have ever been domesticated.

Therefore,it really isn't canus aureas-IT IS THEIR MENTALLY RETARDED OWNERS-homo sapiens at it again..

i know-my son-in-law was one..

45 minutes ago, kamahele said:

Science would say that you are completely wrong. While Pit Bulls are responsible for the majority of human deaths from dog attacks in the USA for example, much of these can be explained away by breeding and training for fighting which creates killers. In England in the 19th century, pit bulls were called something like "babysitters" as they were so good with children and also protective of the kids in their care. I know several people who own pit bulls which are completely docile.

It was an American in the 1990's who randomly claimed that pit bulls were called nanny dogs in England and some folk for some reason some people believed them.

http://thetruthaboutpitbulls.blogspot.com/2010/08/nanny-dog-myth-revealed.html

Archived