Alcoholic vs. just drinking too much

roroeow7

I have a very laid back job…I work from home and am good at what I do so spend maybe 10 hours a week actually working. With my time off I like to be outdoors hiking or golfing. I’ve sort of developed a habit of drinking a lot the last 6 months though. A few times a week I might start drinking at 3pm or so on the golf course and continue that through the night. I am a big dude, 6’8” 240lbs, so I may have a higher tolerance than a lot of people, but in a day where I start drinking that early I might have 12-16 beers before the night is over. When I get drunk I usually just pass out on my couch late at night, I’m not driving around or starting fights or anything (not that this means anything other than I’m a pretty collective drunk). I’d say 2-3 times a month I even wake up around noon the next day with a slight buzz and go for a few beers at lunch and potentially golf and drink again that day. I’ve never done that 3 days in a row though, if that makes any difference.

<snip>

Plenty of times I drink a few beers and stop, and plenty of times I’ll golf and day drink but knowing the next day I have actual work to do, I’ll stop drinking so that I feel good the next day. I don’t know if I have a problem so much as just too much free time. I don’t drink because I’m sad or depressed, I actually love my life, but I am concerned my habits may either be a problem already or turning into one. I’m 99.9% confident if I had an actual 9-5 job I would not drink as much as I do now. I’ve been looking for one of those jobs but it’s extremely difficult to trump my occupational situation right now. I have done all of the online alcoholic tests and none of them really identify me as an alcoholic other than the quantity i drink, and sometimes pissing off the wife when I'm drunk. No marital problems yet, it's just once every other month she probably gets irritated with it to some level.

Edited by Jai Dee
External spam link removed
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

I have worked in at least 6 geriatric wards in UK hospitals and have seen people who didn't even know their full name because of what some people call "wet-brain", but i would call Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, coming on here and saying that you attended AA because you got drunk every few months is an absolute joke and an insult to people who have real problems.

Are you suggesting that I (or anyone else) should wait until we have a wet brain to do something about our drinking problem?

I wonder how many of your patients or their families would give their eye teeth to go back to the day they were wondering whether they had a problem (like me, or like the OP) and gone in for help, before the disease progressed?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roroeow7 said:

but in a day where I start drinking that early I might have 12-16 beers before the night is over.

Then you are living on the edge of becoming an alcoholic, but do you need a beer when you wake up?

I would start exercising and drink plenty of water so your mind can focus on something else than alcohol. Your brain has already accepted the heavy intake of alcohol and that could get worse over time.

And I would stay away from the bar scene. 

• Like 2

For me, the tell is anyone who can't predict the outcome of any drinking encounter, once initiated.

A "heavy drinker" will go out, with the intention of having a few beers, wrap it up and go home. An alcoholic may go out, with the same intention, but wind up closing the bar and grabbing a six pack for the road.

My sister is an alcoholic, although she denied it for years. Her reasoning was that she only drank maybe 2 or 3 times a years. I pointed out to her that, every time she did drink, it was a disaster - she would not know where her car was; most of her furniture would be out on the front lawn; she even wound up in a neighboring state one time!

It's when alcohol takes control ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Hardcore alcoholics rarely get blackout drunk seeing as they have superhuman powers to metabolize alcohol

When alcoholics get to the latest stage of their disease, smaller amounts of alcohol will put them down. And it really does depend on the individual, there are generalities that apply to all, then there are unique reactions in each.

• Like 2

Is there such a thing as being a part time alcoholic? I religiously only drink 4 days a week after drinking every day for years. I might start having a drink early morning on drink days, but not in the evening as it upsets my stomach that late. Probably drink 2-3 times the recommended 14 weekly units. Cutting down I found it helps to drink something else instead, I get through a lot of rock soda water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pr9spk said:

An alcoholic will start drinking earlier, and finish later. They will drink alone in private. They will hide around their house bottles of alcohol and the empties to hide their problem. They will damage everything else in their life to feed the addiction. Hardcore alcoholics rarely get blackout drunk seeing as they have superhuman powers to metabolise alcohol and therefore to appear sober. And alcoholics often don't get hangovers like the rest of us.

Alcoholics get sick when they DON'T drink, not when they do.

You mean, like when alcohol takes control ....

I sure can't say if you're alcoholic at all or not.

I do know there are many styles of alcoholic drinking; binging, maintenance - and then there is the progression of the disease and various stages along that continuum.

Take care and good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Yes - that is called "reverse tolerance", and is an indicator of your liver being severely damaged and shutting down. Over a long period of time, the alcoholic's liver will get more and more proficient in metabolising alcohol, which means that they will have to drink more and more to get the same effect, this is called tolerance.

After decades of bashing your liver non-stop on a daily basis, your liver should eventually become so cirrhotic and damaged, that it simply can't perform the functions that it used to, so a few glasses of wine will get you intoxicated instead of the several bottles you used to drink for breakfast.

Unfortunately, because the liver is so resilient, by the time these types of symptoms appear, it will usually be way too late to do anything about it.

For most people, to get to the point of "reverse tolerance" will take a seriously intense effort to destroy yourself over a few decades, as well as a lot of money wasted on the addiction.

The interesting thing is that if most alcoholics give up booze, they can usually recover to a normal state of health and live a fulfilling life. The liver is an amazing organ. You can surgically remove a huge chunk of someone's liver and they are still able to live a normal life. 

But bear in mind that lifelong excessive alcohol intake can also lead to heart problems, kidney problems, pancreatitis, neurological conditions, and more. It essentially degrades every part of your body. It also massively increases your risk of cancers from the oesophagus to the bladder, or any body part you can name, to be honest. In some depressed people, deliberate and prolonged excessive alcohol consumption can be a self-harm issue, and a symptom of severe psychological illness.

But like everything in life, it's the luck of the draw. Some people have never even tried an alcoholic drink but go on to die of liver disease. And then there are people who have gotten drunk on a daily basis for decades but are still in good health. It all depends on your genes, and your cytochrome 450 enzymes in your liver - which are heavily gene-dependent. 

You seem quite knowledgeable in these matters.  Question:  Can 2 to 3 beers, every single day, damage one's liver or other organs? 

I am 70+, drinking for more than 50 years.

I still decide when I drink, for instance I never drank at home. 

However when I decide to drink (3-4 times in a week/daytime), I won't go home before I feel I am intoxicated enough. 

On 3/21/2019 at 1:04 AM, madmen said:

You nailed it to much time on your hands. How about a hobby? I have a flight sim at home and fly the study sim pmdg 777 all over the world so that can keep me busy 4 hours a day easy and Ive just stopped drinking after a heavy few months in Pattaya.

12-16 beers spread over 12 hours is no big deal once a week or so but problems start when it becomes a habit. Weight is also a big problem with lots of beer. Easy to balloon out quickly.

Getting a hobby or work during the day will help for sure

Too much time, possibly, but completely wrong on the heavy drinking once a week being no big deal, it does far more damage than any other pattern.

personally I drink little because of how I feel next day, I could build up a tolerance by drinking more often but then I'm just wasting money and fighting the weight gain that goes with it.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, pr9spk said:

Well then you aren't even in the ball park of the kind of patients I used to treat. You, and AA, are correct in thinking that anyone who wants to stop drinking should be offered help, it's just that your level of drinking almost certainly never kills people or destroys their lives. What you are saying is akin to someone who eats 3 chocolate bars in one sitting once a month claiming to have an eating disorder.

You say you worked in geriatric facilities with wet brain alcoholics.  That’s admirable work, and I salute you for it.  But it represents a failure.  Not your failure, but a systemic failure long before those patients got to you.

The alcoholics you’re talking about are in the end stages of a years long process.  Nobody’s alcoholism starts out the way you describe alcoholism.  There are months, years, or even decades of warning signs before they get to that stage.  Anyone waiting until they display the symptoms you describe have already ignored years of warning signs.  Signs like the ones listed in the OP, the ones I listed for myself, and others that I won’t go into in a public forum.

Alcoholism is like an elevator going down into a pit that includes cirrhosis of the liver, loss of cognitive ability, heart (and other organ) damage, legal problems, and on and on and on.  You can ride the elevator all the way to the bottom, or you can choose to get off whenever you’ve had enough.  Some people do ride it all the way to the bottom and end up in geriatric facilities with wet brain, some die of alcohol related causes -but not alcoholism- before they get to the bottom, and some die of unrelated causes before their alcoholism gets as bad as you describe.

I chose to get off the downward spiral when I saw in myself the warning signs.  Not when someone else pointed out my faults.  I had to see them myself.  And I’m very grateful that I did.

Here’s warning sign #1- though probably not definitive on its own.  If you’re worried that you may have a drinking problem, you just might.

• Like 1